LS & HW at Bramall lane

Could be an interesting evening.."The Public Services Academy at the University of Sheffield presents...The Good of the Game: Football, Society and Globalisation - Friday, 19thMarch A public, and FREE event as part of the ESRC's Festival of Social Science,run in conjunction with Sheffield United FC and BT Local Business SouthYorkshire and The Humber.Bringing together a panel of football experts from across the game, theevent at Sheffield United FC will feature a wide-ranging debate between thepanellists exploring:- Football's potential for good- Globalisation's impact on football's connection to local communities- The debt crisis- The national team, how does society engage with England?- The future of the Premier League- What is the future of the game?Friday 19th March 20106.30pm - 8.00pm (Please arrive at 6.15pm to be seated by 6.30pm)Millennium Suite, Sheffield United FC Bramall Lane You must register inorder to attend (see below).Featuring an exceptional panel:Former England and Sheffield Wednesday Manager, Howard WilkinsonFormer Minister for Sport, Rt Hon. Richard Caborn MP Chairman of SheffieldUnited, Kevin McCabeChairman of Sheffield Wednesday, Lee StraffordSheffield United Biographer, Dr Gary Armstrong Co-Founder of the FootballSupporters Association, Dr Rogan TaylorChief Executive of Sheffield and Hallamshire FA, James Hope-GillChaired by BBC Sheffield Broadcaster, Rob StatonFor tickets: register online at www.shef.ac.uk/psa "

Could be an interesting evening..

"The Public Services Academy at the University of Sheffield presents...

The Good of the Game: Football, Society and Globalisation - Friday, 19th

March

A public, and FREE event as part of the ESRC's Festival of Social Science,

run in conjunction with Sheffield United FC and BT Local Business South

Yorkshire and The Humber.

Bringing together a panel of football experts from across the game, the

event at Sheffield United FC will feature a wide-ranging debate between the

panellists exploring:

- Football's potential for good

- Globalisation's impact on football's connection to local communities

- The debt crisis

- The national team, how does society engage with England?

- The future of the Premier League

- What is the future of the game?

Friday 19th March 2010

6.30pm - 8.00pm (Please arrive at 6.15pm to be seated by 6.30pm)

Millennium Suite, Sheffield United FC Bramall Lane You must register in

order to attend (see below).

Featuring an exceptional panel:

Former England and Sheffield Wednesday Manager, Howard Wilkinson

Former Minister for Sport, Rt Hon. Richard Caborn MP Chairman of Sheffield

United, Kevin McCabe

Chairman of Sheffield Wednesday, Lee Strafford

Sheffield United Biographer, Dr Gary Armstrong Co-Founder of the Football

Supporters Association, Dr Rogan Taylor

Chief Executive of Sheffield and Hallamshire FA, James Hope-Gill

Chaired by BBC Sheffield Broadcaster, Rob Staton

For tickets: register online at www.shef.ac.uk/psa "

Our very own Rob Staton is doing it! :ohmy:

Good on you son!

Pigs will sue...Staton, Wednesdayite, should never have been Chair, the debate was anti-Blade, everybody is against us, waaaah, waaaaah, ..* spits dummy..*..fookin' disgrace etc etc etc...

be a shame if several people trip up over a careless strewn microphone cable or something and sue the barstewards

Glad to see our "give sheffield uni free tickets" policy has paid off by then hosting events at the ground.

oh wait...

City Centre location, most obvious venue. Plus, Utd and TUoS have been in partnership for years, Wednesday have only just started dialogue with them/us (the previous regime weren't too interested in all this community stuff apparently).

Did anyone else attend this?

I thought it was a really good debate this evening, involving an interesting panel.

I thought everyone spoke well and there were some interesting topics covered.

And Rob Staton did really well to keep the panelists in check and to keep the debate on track, especially when HW and Rogan Taylor kept wandering off at a tangent.

That said it would have been interesting had the leashes been taken off as I got the feeling the discussions might have heated up somewhat.

Guest thetruthisoutthere

Message to Lee and Howard......Straight out of Bramhall lane, taxi to Hillsborough lads..... straight into the showers start scrubbing and don't stop until 2.45 tomorrow at which time you just might be "clean" again in time to watch us get some much needed revenge for the debacle that occured at pride park

Did anyone else attend this?

I thought it was a really good debate this evening, involving an interesting panel.

I thought everyone spoke well and there were some interesting topics covered.

And Rob Staton did really well to keep the panelists in check and to keep the debate on track, especially when HW and Rogan Taylor kept wandering off at a tangent.

That said it would have been interesting had the leashes been taken off as I got the feeling the discussions might have heated up somewhat.

It was a very good debate, some interesting points raised, I think Rogan would still be talking now if he was allowed to do so but he does know his stuff and has a genuine passion for the sport. Didn't agree with LS though when he stated that fans generally don't mind players getting the wages they do as long as they are playing, it when they get the money even though they are not in the side that upsets fans. I think fans do wonder how players in the bottom half of the 2nd tier can get paid in a month what an honest decent wage earner is paid in a year.

I can perhaps see where he is coming from though, it would be more understandable and acceptible if players got a decent basic wage and then earned top money through bonuses based on results and performances but it would take radical changes for this to happen now.

The F.A. didn't come out of the debate in a very good light, football at lower levels is paying the price for them missing the boat in terms of sorting the finances when the gravy train that is the PL was formed.

It was a very good debate, some interesting points raised, I think Rogan would still be talking now if he was allowed to do so but he does know his stuff and has a genuine passion for the sport. Didn't agree with LS though when he stated that fans generally don't mind players getting the wages they do as long as they are playing, it when they get the money even though they are not in the side that upsets fans. I think fans do wonder how players in the bottom half of the 2nd tier can get paid in a month what an honest decent wage earner is paid in a year.

I can perhaps see where he is coming from though, it would be more understandable and acceptible if players got a decent basic wage and then earned top money through bonuses based on results and performances but it would take radical changes for this to happen now.

The F.A. didn't come out of the debate in a very good light, football at lower levels is paying the price for them missing the boat in terms of sorting the finances when the gravy train that is the PL was formed.

Fair points.

The wages though, it's a buyers market. I defy anyone on this board who would turn down the wages they receive. And it's not their fault - ever since Sky became involved (and I love Sky) the wages have gone with the demand.

Technically football wise England, we are miles behind Spain and possibly Germany. England though is an easy pay packet. And I will never fault any player who comes over here and makes his money as much as he can, when he can.

But something is wrong with the Premiership. You can sense it now with the clubs such as Portsmouth. Hull are living on a prayer. And it's growing.

In terms of Wednesday though, they do have a good wage, nothing worse than the rest of the league, but it'd be nice to see those players go through one tackle that hits the advertising boards, that passion that makes a winger run the length of the field to tackle his opposing player, chasing every ball like its the last ball they may ever see, pulling that badge to the crowd when they score.

And that costs nothing.

It was a very good debate, some interesting points raised, I think Rogan would still be talking now if he was allowed to do so but he does know his stuff and has a genuine passion for the sport.

Agreed, even if at times he didn’t know when to stop. :biggrin:

Didn't agree with LS though when he stated that fans generally don't mind players getting the wages they do as long as they are playing, it when they get the money even though they are not in the side that upsets fans. I think fans do wonder how players in the bottom half of the 2nd tier can get paid in a month what an honest decent wage earner is paid in a year.

I think that was the overall point he was trying to make.

I agree – they got an absolute slating. I forget now, but who was it who, half-jokingly / half-seriously, made reference to there being one panellist missing (Dave Richards – who had pulled out) who could have answered a lot of the questions that were being posed?

Even James Hope-Gill (Chairman of the Sheffield & Hallamshire FA) was quite critical of the FA.

Message to Lee and Howard......Straight out of Bramhall lane, taxi to Hillsborough lads..... straight into the showers start scrubbing and don't stop until 2.45 tomorrow at which time you just might be "clean" again in time to watch us get some much needed revenge for the debacle that occured at pride park

Friday night was the first time I'd been in that part of Br*m*ll Lane (Millenium Suite) and given the relative age of it I thought it looked shocking.

Couldn't help but giggle at a rather smug looking McCabe whilst directly over his head the grotty looking suspended ceiling seemed as though it was about collapse on top of him. Awful decor too - really poor all round.

Friday night was the first time I'd been in that part of Br*m*ll Lane (Millenium Suite) and given the relative age of it I thought it looked shocking.

Couldn't help but giggle at a rather smug looking McCabe whilst directly over his head the grotty looking suspended ceiling seemed as though it was about collapse on top of him. Awful decor too - really poor all round.

The room itself did seem very basic considering the age of the stand, nothing special. Fair play to Jame Hope-Gill for fielding the questions, as a representitive of the F.A. he must have had an idea that he was probably in for a hiding on some of the issues but seemed to give an honest assessment rather than towing the line. No surprise to hear that the chief exec of the F.A has resigned today. That position should be one of the most powerful jobs in the sport but the weak hand that previous incumbents of the role have dealt him makes it almost untenable in terms of doing it properly.

The room itself did seem very basic considering the age of the stand, nothing special. Fair play to Jame Hope-Gill for fielding the questions, as a representitive of the F.A. he must have had an idea that he was probably in for a hiding on some of the issues but seemed to give an honest assessment rather than towing the line. No surprise to hear that the chief exec of the F.A has resigned today. That position should be one of the most powerful jobs in the sport but the weak hand that previous incumbents of the role have dealt him makes it almost untenable in terms of doing it properly.

Yes, I thought James Hope-Gill spoke very well and was open about the failings of the organisation he ultimately represents.

As for Watmore, well it seems that once again everything that was discussed on Friday has come to the fore again.

Inept leadership within the FA and an all-powerful Premier League.

David Conn has done a brilliant and damning piece in the Guardin this mornings, the best bits of which I've posted in the thread below:

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=125482