Paul Thompson's player ratings

Gave everyone a 7 apart from -

Grant - 8

Purse - 8

Varney - 6

Johnson - 6

How does this man stay in a job?

Unbelievable!!

For Varney to get the same rating as JJ is laughable......Varney was the ONLY poor performer last night. JJ ran them ragged for 60 minutes as has been widely reported, but for me the real plus, the big positive to come out of last night, the one player who should have been rated 8............was Leon.

Leon will keep us up ...........FACT.

Gave everyone a 7 apart from -

Grant - 8

Purse - 8

Varney - 6

Johnson - 6

How does this man stay in a job?

What a tool.

Johnson was excellent in the first half and scared their defenders to death. He did some decent work tracking back as well. He tired in the second half though and his substitution was necessary, even though most of our attacking threat went to the bench with him.

I still think most people, especially in the press, lazily throw 6s, 7s and 8s around with very little thought as if they are all they are allowed to give. Might as well have a rating out of 3 instead. In occasional instances they might stretch to a 5 or a 9 to make a particular point, but that's about it.

For Varney to get the same rating as JJ is laughable......Varney was the ONLY poor performer last night.

I don't think Varney was all that bad.The only player I'd have a go at was Potter. Took too long on the ball when we had it, didn't put himself about enough when Albion had it.

Guest bigandy

Unbelievable!!

For Varney to get the same rating as JJ is laughable......Varney was the ONLY poor performer last night. JJ ran them ragged for 60 minutes as has been widely reported, but for me the real plus, the big positive to come out of last night, the one player who should have been rated 8............was Leon.

Leon will keep us up ...........FACT.

That was one of Leons better games last night but he should have stuck two away in the second half. If he is going to keep us up like you say, he needs to put those chances away

Guest Manwithastick

I'd have given JJ an 8 for the first half(should have been 9 as he should have scored) and 6 after about 50 minutes when he appeared to hit a wall and became a liability. I thought Varney was poor - every flippingjump is a foul and it takes pressure off their defense. Wouldn't be happy seeing him in blue and white next season - there has to be better available. Thought Soares was dogger when he came on.Appart from these minor irritations I thought we performed well - Miller stood out, Leon ran his arse off(still too late in the day for him though IMO, unless AI can do some sort of laying on of hands voodoo magic and bring out the talent that even I can see is buried deep deep inside Marv), and the defense looks much steadier with (a clearly happier) Purse back.We must start killing teams with our early chances though

I don't think Varney was all that bad.The only player I'd have a go at was Potter. Took too long on the ball when we had it, didn't put himself about enough when Albion had it.

Measured against recent benchmarks I thought Potter did OK. I never expected him to pull up any trees when we signed him - very obvious limitations, can't see a forward pass for toffee (Miller made more last night than Potter's made all season), that said he didn't look out of his depth, which sometimes he can.Varney I'm actually a supporter of, but playing in this side he's like a fish out of water. For me he's only ever going to be a threat when he gets behind the defence - we don't have a midfield to provide that. He was visibly frustrated last night particularly in the second half, head went down, when most of them kept battling - that badly timed jump he always does is nothing more than frustration- the action of someone who knows he won't get there and more importantly knows that's not his game. I was sat on the half way line last night and it didn't need a professional lip reader to read the "FFS" words that came out of his mouth as he came out of a challenge without the ball for the umpteenth time.LEON will save us............trust me

Guest PAUL.

A joke of a rating for JJ, and we lost our way after he went off.Well disappointed we didn't get anything from last night. We were so comfortable in the first half it was untrue. We pressed them high up the field which led to their defence making errors, but we failed to capitalise. JJ, what were you doing to miss that one on one with Carson? instead of trying to lob him you should have just waltzed around him and stuck it in, and what a difference that would have made. Second half, we dropped back 5 yards and let them dictate the game. If we had carried on in the same vein, I'm sure we would have come away with at least a point. We hardly had an opportunity in the second half or decent crosses over. Although it was a terrific strike from Koren, when is Tommy Spurr going to learn to stop the winger coming inside on his wrong foot and leaving him for dead. Varney ran his socks off all night but very un-productive. Give Jaffa a start on Sat AI, you know it makes sense, and someone to hold the ball up now Potter and Miller seem to be playing the ball more to feet now. Good support and great vocal backing once again.

Guest jake benson

did you go to the match?????johnson ran rings arounds all of them in the first half. and its his second gam ein three days having not played foir 6 weeks