Sign in to follow this  
The Southern Owl

Not from Sheffield but why I'm a fan

:laugh:

great story ponty

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I have no idea why I support Sheffield Wednesday TBH, was born on a Wednesday, favourite colour is blue, spent a few summers of the early 80's at my Aunties who lived in Sheffield (well Rotherham but who'd ever want to admit living there? Is Swallow nest Rotherham?) anyways, from the early 80s on I supported Sheffield Wednesday.

swall is classed as rovrum but has a Sheffield postcode , so that will do for me Grimbarian , mate , :biggrin:  ;-)

Seen as though this thread has been resurrected I thought I'd add my two penneth, not that it's all that interesting.

I first really became aware of football (that I can remember) while my dad was watching the 'hand of God' game on the tele (Mexico '86). Being too young to really understand the importance of the game to us as a nation I was fascinated by this little bloke who did things with a ball that seemed like pure magic and it promptly insisted that from that moment on my middle name was Maradona, and I made sure that people knew about it, I wrote it on each and every school book I had.

Around that time my dad realised I was getting into the game in a big way and bought me my first football kit, being just after the miners strike of '84 and being from a mining family we were pretty skint though so my dad took us to a little shop near us called Jack Greens (which subsequently was inherited by and run by Russ Green who was once linked to us in the Turner takeover). My eldest brother was a typical 'glory hunter' and plumped for the Liverpool away kit, my other elder brother doted on my uncle and was fascinated by the whole Clough story (more than the club) so chose a Derby kit because my uncle was a Derby fan (until he was a year or so older and realised it was Clough not Derby that he loved and he turned into a die hard Forest fan aged about 7). Now me, being a fresh faced kid aged about 4-5, didn't really have a specific club. My dad is a Barnsley STH and took us all to games now and then but to give him his dues he let us all pick our own club and our own kit with no pressure aside from that we mustn't pick Leeds or Man United! It was around this time my dad and his mates happened to have taken me to a game just after David Hirst had left for Wednesday, being a local lad to us in the Pontefract area my dad and hi mates were miffed, to say the least, and I was fascinated by him and began to notice him more, naturally I followed him to Wedesday without even realising it! I seriously didn't understand my dad's perplexed state about it all, I just knew he was my hero and he played in the magical (albeit different tone) blue and white stripes that I had witnessed that little Maradona bloke wearing and for me that was it, I needed those blue and white stripes.

So, back in that little sports shop, I pointed to a blue an white striped kit. Nobody understood why, but bless my dad's heart he stumped up the cash and I was the proud owner of, erm, a QPR kit. For a few months I insisted that i was Hirsty, regardless of what anyone said, until I started to get Wednesday posters for my room and realised what I'd done haha! My dad, bless him, shelled out for me a replacement Wednesday shirt soon after because he felt bad. He took me to various Wednesday games too, but insisted that I went to Barnsley games too (I think it was his way of hoping I would switch because he was a STH and it meant he had to fork out to take me to S6 when they were away on top.

From 86/87 that was it, the Owls were my love. I was offered the chance to train with Barnsley with a view to a YTS deal (or whatever the 'eck they were called back then) when I was a young lad and my dad was over the moon, I had been in and around the Donny youth setup for a few years (Donny were then in the wilderness) and he not only saw it as a big step up but had dreams of his lad pulling on his team's shirt in front of his mates. At the time my best mate was playing for us in our youth setup and his dad had been taking us to games home and away for years and was always trying to get me a foot in the door at S6 so I turned Barnsley down. My dad was distraught. Utterly. To this day he keeps all the paperwork in an envelope in his bedside table and for years he would bring a framed letter offering me a youth player position at Barnsley down whenever I brought a lass home, which confused the feck out of them all.

So yeah, that is my little account of how I became a lifelong Wednesday fan and, erm, proud owner of a tiny QPR kit. All because of Diego's blue and white stripes and a bloke from Cudworth.

I can understand your dads proudness with your letter ponty I am the same with my lads villa one , :biggrin: don't be to hard on him mate ;-)

some great stories on here , made great reading really enjoyed the thread from start to finish , wawaw

January 2007 was my conversion day thanks to the introduction to gods own football ground by my best pal and it was the hi ho before ko that made me fall in love, totally hooked ever since! (Despite loosing the game 2.1). So so so many memories since then, the good and bad, the ups and the downs and the outright sublime (6.0 Leeds, beating pigs after deon Burton missed a pen and the Wycombe promotion day to name a few). Any sprogs or extension of family (a wife :-( if I have to) Will be a blue and white, bouncing all the way owl, not negotiable!!