West Bromich Albion v Sheffield Wednesday

Didnt expect anything from tonight, but having thinking we were on for a point (and deservedly so) and seeing those games in hand above us, its looking very difficult.

flips SAKE

True but apart from one or two games left is there as bigger test as West Brom away? I personally don't think so, 12 games, it can still be done, Palace lost and a couple of teams aren't pulling right away, two good results from us and it can all change again, thats the thing about the bottom, teams will lose more then they win.

Guest carlg

We worked hard and battled like mad - so I have lots of praise for them as a team.

If we keep doing this and hold our nerve we can escape. There's a lot more football to be played and losing away to WBA is not going to determine whether we stay up or not as it was one which we couldn't be too optimistic about in our quest for another 5 wins.

Im proud of lads tonight we played well and only way they could score was a 30yard screamer I wouldnt call that a bad performance

Totally agree. Cannot wait to see JJ's chance again, it looked as though he should have buried that one!

on to Swansea.....

Guest carlg

Has to be us or Scunny now, I'd say, re: relegation. A win would have opened it up a tad for us but wasn't to be, cruelly.

Those games in hand are significant for the others. OK, they've got to win/draw 'em but nice buffer to have and also -GD wise Scunny is comfortably as dire as us in that respect - only a handful of teams are so dreadful -GD wise and I can now see it going to that on May 2 ... :-(

Hi ho. UTO.

Guest BillysRedArmy

Hard luck tonight lads. Forest fan here (in peace!) Anyway i was cheering Wednesday on tonight almost as much as you guys were, for obvious reasons! But for what its worth i really do hope you guys stay up. Always had abit of a soft spot for Wedneaday, i'm not quite sure why maybe its because i hate Sheffield United/Neil Warnock/Kevin Blackwell/Their fans etc.. so much? (bunch of c**ts) :laugh: Or maybe its because i can relate to your clubs current woes and realise your a big club with a loyal fanbase who are currently Underachieving and deserve better. Good luck for the rest of the season, i'm sure "father ted" will keep you up :biggrin: and you'll push on next year to bigger & better things. Not to sound arrogant but Forest were in your current position this time last year & now look where we are. Always have faith! Would love to see ourselves & Wednesday in the premier league.

*awaits the scab chants* :laugh: :laugh:

P*ssed off we didn't score whilst we had the upper hand however looking on the bright side This was never one of the target matches and a good performance is a plus. Just wish we'd shoot from everywhere like teams do against us.

A negative is Grant getting done again with a 30 yarder never known a keeper who gets done with so many 'unstoppable wonder strikes' sounds like he earnt his wages though with a good performance otherwise

Grant looked slightly out of position to me. His kicking was poor last night as well.

He did make 1 superb save though.

We clearly went there with the intention of defending and looking to hit them on the counter. In the first half the plan worked to perfection. We frustrated them and they had no answers, often resorting to aimlessly lobbing the ball forward. Johnson scared them to death and had a number of effective surges forward. Although Albion had the edge in possession we looked slightly the more dangerous when we had the ball and had the best opportunity of the half when Johnson lobbed Carson but it landed on the roof of the net.

Into the second half the pattern of the game started to change. We defended too deep and a large gap opened up between the front two and the rest of the team. When we had the ball we struggled to come out with it and had to knock it forward in the hope that the isolated strikers could build for themselves. But more often than not this resulted in the ball coming straight back at us. When Albion had the ball there was a lot of space in that same gap for them to move the ball around and exert pressure, which they did. Grant made one fabulous reaction save from a close range header and a number of other more routine stops. There were also a few last gasp blocks and challenges to prevent other opportunities.

With Johnson visibly tiring our attacking outlet was diminished and he couldn't chase around in defence as he had earlier. This meant Albion had even more time and space to build attacks. When he was replaced, our threat went with him and Carson hardly saw the ball in the second half. Even after we went behind and had to force the issue we couldn't create any meaningful openings and a second goal was more likely at the other end.

Overall it was a very positive performance with the players combining effectively as a team defensively and all (with one possible exception) putting in the sort of graft we want to see from them. Some of them looked genuinely shattered at the final whistle. The only player I'd criticise particularly is Potter. He didn't put himself about enough in the second half to close that gap I referred to between the forwards and the midfielders when Albion had the ball and was much too ponderous and casual when he had it himself, often leading to us losing possession.

We clearly went there with the intention of defending and looking to hit them on the counter. In the first half the plan worked to perfection. We frustrated them and they had no answers, often resorting to aimlessly lobbing the ball forward. Johnson scared them to death and had a number of effective surges forward. Although Albion had the edge in possession we looked slightly the more dangerous when we had the ball and had the best opportunity of the half when Johnson lobbed Carson but it landed on the roof of the net.

Into the second half the pattern of the game started to change. We defended too deep and a large gap opened up between the front two and the rest of the team. When we had the ball we struggled to come out with it and had to knock it forward in the hope that the isolated strikers could build for themselves. But more often than not this resulted in the ball coming straight back at us. When Albion had the ball there was a lot of space in that same gap for them to move the ball around and exert pressure, which they did. Grant made one fabulous reaction save from a close range header and a number of other more routine stops. There were also a few last gasp blocks and challenges to prevent other opportunities.

With Johnson visibly tiring our attacking outlet was diminished and he couldn't chase around in defence as he had earlier. This meant Albion had even more time and space to build attacks. When he was replaced, our threat went with him and Carson hardly saw the ball in the second half. Even after we went behind and had to force the issue we couldn't create any meaningful openings and a second goal was more likely at the other end.

Overall it was a very positive performance with the players combining effectively as a team defensively and all (with one possible exception) putting in the sort of graft we want to see from them. Some of them looked genuinely shattered at the final whistle. The only player I'd criticise particularly is Potter. He didn't put himself about enough in the second half to close that gap I referred to between the forwards and the midfielders when Albion had the ball and was much too ponderous and casual when he had it himself, often leading to us losing possession.

good review. cheers.