Varney's pimping himself out.....

Sort of old news, was mentioned in an article prior to Saturday's game.

I wouldn't be too fussed if we didn't re-sign him at the end of the season. We want better players than him - whoever they may be!

Edited by Sam779

Kind of agree...... but..... on the other side of the argument, why not sell Tudgay, bring in Varney and have cash to spare ?

Varney has scored the same amount of goals as Tudgay and offers the same in a match.... a few headers, a bit of running and not much else.

Just an idea

Guest thetruthisoutthere

Kind of agree...... but..... on the other side of the argument, why not sell Tudgay, bring in Varney and have cash to spare ?

Varney has scored the same amount of goals as Tudgay and offers the same in a match.... a few headers, a bit of running and not much else.

Just an idea

I nearly agree, but i think saying tudders only gets a few headers is not fair to the bloke at all, he wins 90% of what he jumps up for in both a defensive roll as well as an attacking roll

Thing is hes not getting noticed because he is doing the ugly jobs in midfield at the moment and not really playing in attack as was the same as some of this season and most of last

Just an idea

Problem is, you've got a few quid but not enough to buy anyone decent and the squad isn't any stronger.

From a newspaper in Leicester......

Luke Varney still harbours an ambition to play for home-town club Leicester City, the team he comes face-to-face with today.

Varney, who started his career at non-league Quorn and still lives in the county, is in line for a starting spot when Sheffield Wednesday try to derail City's promotion push at Hillsborough.

The 27-year-old striker is on loan from Derby until the end of the season.

He looks to have an uncertain future at Pride Park after three times being shipped out to Wednesday by Rams boss Nigel Clough.

"I spoke to (Wednesday manager) Alan Irvine before I signed and said that I would like it to be a bit more permanent but we'll have to see what happens in the summer," said Varney.

Click here for more

"I feel I've not really been given a chance at Derby.

"The manager has sent me out on loan to get game-time and score goals, which I've done, but I still can't get in the team when I go back.

"I suppose I'm in the shop-window and, of course, I'd love to come to Leicester.

"I think my best years are ahead of me. I've watched City a lot, I saw them win at QPR and they were brilliant."

While a Walkers Stadium move remains a dream, Varney is enjoying his time at Wednesday.

He said: "The club have been great, I've scored goals (nine in 24 starts) and I think the fans have taken to me."

Varney says it has been a tough week on the training pitch for the Wednesday players following last weekend's 5-0 drubbing at Reading.

He said: "The manager has let us know in no uncertain terms that he won't tolerate a repeat of that performance.

"We were starting to look up the table and not down so perhaps we've taken our foot off the pedal."

Varney has twice scored against City – for Crewe in 2005 and for Charlton in 2007.

To be fair he says he told Irvine he wants to stay. And he only said he'd like to go to them.

If this story had come out after his goal and peformance against Forest we'd have been raging and hoping that he's sign asap, but like most other strikers he's inconsistent.

On his say he's excellent, can score goals, works hard and causes problems - other times he is non existent and can get muscled out of the game.

He's obviously not going to be at Derby next season so he's either going to do his best and try to get a contract with us or try and get signed by a Championship Club, especially considering we could be in League 1 next season.

He'd be worth taking if we get him on the cheap.

Guest Blue&WhiteBen

if we could get varney for nowt on reasonable wages it would be a good signing in addition to another forward.

varney + another would be miles better than franny & akpo imo

I haven't read the article but I know he is a Leicester fan so not surprising.

Can't see Irvine wanting to buy him, will have only got him back on loan because he knew the club and players so could just slot in easily.

Guest edforceowl

Well he was quoted saying he wants to move to us, now leicester? seems a bit of a judas to me, flip him!

Well he was quoted saying he wants to move to us, now leicester? seems a bit of a judas to me, flip him!

I'd hardly say he is a "judas".

I think he, like alot of his peers, is a bit stupid.

Now i appreciate that he is looking for his next club move. Clough hates his guts, so he has no future at Derby.

Clearly he wants to put the word out that "Luke Varney is available for your club in the summer."

The stupid part was the timing of this press release.

Guest edforceowl

I'd hardly say he is a "judas".

I think he, like alot of his peers, is a bit stupid.

Now i appreciate that he is looking for his next club move. Clough hates his guts, so he has no future at Derby.

Clearly he wants to put the word out that "Luke Varney is available for your club in the summer."

The stupid part was the timing of this press release.

Agreed, But he is also a judas, One minute he's wednesday next he's leicester, Bit daft really.