Liverpool Vs Wednesday

Pressman was amazing this game, save after save. It was the game after Blinker was accused of signing for some Italian team as well as us or did I imagine that?

Seem to remember him saving a long range chip from McAteer, tipping it onto the bar or post, and then recovering to foil Fowler straight from the rebound. Awesome double save.

I was at Uni in Liverpool at the time so me and Wednesday fan course mate had been getting it all week off plastic scouse fans from everywhere but Liverpool. The following Monday was a joy :biggrin: Remember one lass commenting on our mental fans and how everyone round her on the Kop wanted to come in the away end as it looked like we were having an ace time, which we were......

and didn't we spend best part of 90 minutes just singing 'we are the owls...' but the 'instrumental' version before it had words so was just der's der's and der's with a Wednesday on the end, even in the bogs at half time ? I remember a couple of young kids with Liverpool regalia on in there just looking gobsmacked like we were all bonkers :laugh:

I went to this game, we had a brick chucked though our bus window as we were leaving Liverpool, and our train from Sheffield to Worksop broke down, still managed to catch match of the day though!! I remember that save from Pressman, best double save I ever saw by a mile, happy times! :laugh:

Atherton man marked McManaman all game I remember the commentator "when steve mcmanaman looks into the mirror tonight..he will see peter atherton smiling back at him".

lol

There was a cartoon in the "A view from the east bank" fanzine

Showing Mcmanaman in bed with his Mrs & Atherton was in the middle lol

Quick question, when did we beat Liverpool on their own turf?...im sure it was 1-0 and i think it was Guy Whittingham who scored (correct me if im wrong) Cant seem to find it on google anywhere.....or youtube for that matter. UTO

Saturday 7th November 1997, I was there on the coach with the Kop Band, was a brilliant day out, we won 1-0 and then our coach got bricked by some little scouse edit coming out of Anfield but we weren't bothered, it wasn't our coach.

Happy days!

First season back up. Varadi saw Grobbalar out of his net and put it in from 30 yards. We won 2-1 that day with Shelton getting the other.

it was 2-0 in october/november 1984, the same season we won 2-1 at old trafford on new years day 1985 with varadi scoring twice and gordon strachan having a penalty saved, never left games with such a big smile on my face as both of these

Edited by matt68owls

Guest Andrew

I listened to that one on the radio.. all you could hear for the entire game was the wednesday fans singing that tune.. I don't know what it's called so i'll call it the Utrecht tune cos i think we stole it from them in Holland.

The MOTD editors clearly had a nightmare with it too! :D

Guest ArbourOwl

Why does that link say kick off was 19:45???

I'm sure it was a Saturday afternoon.

I haven't got a clue pal. Just figured out it wasn't a 7:45 kick off when some one sid the got back for MOTD....lol.

It was definitely a 3pm kick off but in December so looked like a night game by full-time.

-------------------------------------------------------------

This was one of the few games where David Pleat's tactical genious actually came into practice, and where Atherton was anything but the useless player he was most of the time at Hillsborough, he kept McManaman (near his peak at the time) completely out of the game.

My mate had just past his test (Liverpool fan) drove to Liverpool day after for the game. He came in the away end with us and was super confident putting a 2-0 bet on a Liverpool win. Pressman pulled off a couple of crazy saves to win that game.

How we got home I dont know, driving back on the motorway in the fog in his battered Talbot.

it was 2-0 in october/november 1984, the same season we won 2-1 at old trafford on new years day 1985 with varadi scoring twice and gordon strachan having a penalty saved, never left games with such a big smile on my face as both of these

are you sure? I could have sworn we beat them 2-0 at Old Trafford, and I'm pretty sure it was 1986/87 season, I know that because I was in Germany when we won at Old Trafford.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

are you sure? I could have sworn we beat them 2-0 at Old Trafford, and I'm pretty sure it was 1986/87 season, I know that because I was in Germany when we won at Old Trafford.

Trust me, I've got my dates wrong.

Just been on the archives site, we actually did the double on Man Utd 2 seasons running.

1st January 1985 Man Utd 1 Sheffield Wednesday 2

9th April 1985 Sheffield Wednesday 1 Man Utd 0

9th November 1985 Sheffield Wednesday 1 Man Utd 0

13th April 1986 Man Utd 0 Sheffield Wednesday 2

For some reason I had got it in my head that the 2-0 win at Old Trafford was over christmas, I was definately in Germany during that game because I remember listening on the world service, Germany was covered in snow at the time which is probably why I thought it was christmas.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Guest Walkley_Owl

The game at Anfield came just a few days after the Hillsborough Documentary was shown on ITV, it was a little hairy outside the ground.

Great game, great result.

The game at Anfield came just a few days after the Hillsborough Documentary was shown on ITV, it was a little hairy outside the ground.

Great game, great result.

I think Regi Blinker came on as sub after he had served that strange ban (what was it for again ?)