Spurr Going ?

Guest Egghead

Am i the only one that likes Spurr? By the way was this taken from that bloody football rumours website?

You're not alone matey. I really think he's come in for a lot of stick this season and I feel a lot of it is unwarranted. Granted he's not on the form he was last season, but I certainly don't think he's been all that bad this season.

He loves this club and I feel he's really affected when results don't go our way. I actually thought he was going to cry when we lost to the piggies earlier this season!

Guest aphextwins

I'd be happy with that!

He's been woefull for the past couple of seasons. He's always out of position and his passing is poo .

Brunty made him look like a reet idiot against West Brom.

Guest Stereophonics

Spurr is the best centre half at the club.

Why Brian and his successors have played him at left back is beyond me. Those with memories longer than that of a haddock will remember that all through his development, Spurr was a centre half too.

Now the source of this rumour is crap so it probably wont happen, and even though I rate Tommy, I dont rate him at £1million, but he'll go elsewhere and turn into a brilliant centre half and you'll all bang on about how he was poo for us and hasn't he done well since.

I see this mentioned quite often but what is this based on? Not having a go, just curious that I have missed something. I can only remember him playing for the first team in this position a couple of times and he didn't look that good

Edited by Stereophonics

I like him as well - I've always liked the spirit in which he plays the game, he at least appears to actually give a sh!t.

Also he's got more b@lls than most in that side, even when he's playing rubbish and getting moaned at he never hides, always makes himself available and seems to want the ball.

I know this doesn't make him a good player, but I do admire his spirit.

Guest clumber58

Spurr is the best centre half at the club.

Why Brian and his successors have played him at left back is beyond me. Those with memories longer than that of a haddock will remember that all through his development, Spurr was a centre half too.

Now the source of this rumour is crap so it probably wont happen, and even though I rate Tommy, I dont rate him at £1million, but he'll go elsewhere and turn into a brilliant centre half and you'll all bang on about how he was poo for us and hasn't he done well since.

I agree. Tommy Spurr was really good young prospect at centre half.

Laws moved him out of position to left back, but everyone can see that he's not 100% comfortable playing there.

If he was moved back into the middle and had someone decent alongside (such as Coventry's Richard Wood) he'd be a different player.

There are a dozen players I'd get rid of before Spurr............and if I did get rid I'd want more than the figures being quoted.

Guest chezzyowl

I agree. Tommy Spurr was really good young prospect at centre half.

Laws moved him out of position to left back, but everyone can see that he's not 100% comfortable playing there.

If he was moved back into the middle and had someone decent alongside (such as Coventry's Richard Wood) he'd be a different player.

There are a dozen players I'd get rid of before Spurr............and if I did get rid I'd want more than the figures being quoted.

Here here Clumber

Leave the kid alone, after 10 games people were saying best player in the club, he is a confidence player and being on the wings and hearing comments will destroy him get behind him.

Come on Tommy show em.

Hope it's not true, wish some of the others had the passion he has for the club. Win, lose or draw Tommy Spurr always comes over to the fans & shows he cares. Some of the others could'nt care less.

Yeh you're right mate, he may be a liability and teams may focus their attack down the left side because they know he is inept, and he may get dragged out of position constantly and run around like a headless chicken, but at least he comes over and claps the fans.

And you are happy to settle for that?

I flipping despair.

On what basis do people think he'd be a good centre half hes played his entire professional career at left back so that makes him a left back, plenty of players come through the ranks playing in different positions to where they end up.

Spurrs has no pace whatsoever and his positioning is terrible so im sure he'd be a terrible centre half. The amount of goals we've conceded from him losing his man on crosses also indicates he probably wouldn't be up to playing centre half.

Fair play to him he improved a lot bit last season but at the start of this he was every bit as poor as purse who took dogs abuse but purse has managed to turn his form around were still waiting for tommy to do the same.

Guest 1.8.6.7

04 Mar 2010 14:49:23

My club, Sheffield Wednesday are looking to offload at least six players before the end of the season, loan deals to start and then full signings.

Lee Grant – Cardiff City with Enckelman swap

Darren Purse – Burnley, no full deal yet.

Lewis Buxton – Port Vale – when fit.

Marcus Tudgay – Swansea City with Craig Beattie coming to Hillsborough.

Leon Clarke – MK Dons

Francis Jeffers – Rochdale with Craig Dagnall coming here.

http://www.football-rumours.co.uk/index.html

On what basis do people think he'd be a good centre half hes played his entire professional career at left back so that makes him a left back, plenty of players come through the ranks playing in different positions to where they end up.

He played CB v Reading away last season....says it all really.