Sign in to follow this  
oh_weds_we_love_you

Why, why, why, why...

Just got home from my parents house and had a chat with my dad about renewing his season ticket - he wanted to do it online to save a few quid, so I said I'd do it for him. So, I get my mother's laptop out to renew his season ticket. "Not sure I'll be renewing yet", my dad said. I asked why, and he said said that whilst he can accept players not being good enough, he can't accept - and justify paying - players, who obviously don't give a damn. Players just going through the mill isn't good enough - and "it's boring". I thought about it for a short while, and I simply could not argue with what he was saying. I did point out that he followed them home and away in the 1970's when things really were dire. He replied saying that whilst those time were bad, at least they gave what they had, even though it was enough, the effort was appreciated - and as a supporter, that is a minimum of what you will accept.

My old man then said he'd been talking to a few of his mates this lunch time in the pub and that group of mates will be calling time on their season tickets at the end of the current season - after over 30 years of being consecutive season ticket holders. Why? The same reasoning. Foot ball is supposed to be competitive and entertaining - the current Sheffield Wednesday team is neither, which makes going very difficult to justify.

Yet, the club is pushing and pushing to those absent fans, who can afford to come back, to come back. Whilst the very core who keep this club going have had enough of gutless, spineless players that seem to pass through Hillsborough year on year. How does the club hope to attract back those who fell by the way side years ago, when the current crop of hardcore are slowly falling away?

I hear the investment process is ongoing, that supporters need to invest in their club (and that this will help investment come), everyone involved from top to bottom of the club has to move forward together, yet we have players (and I use that term lightly) who just stroll through the games without a care in the world, accept mediocre performances, and pick up their six figure annual salaries. At what point are the SWFC management going to hold these people responsible and either tell them to do their jobs or f*ck off?

The investment process is no doubt delayed because of the uncertanty of what league we'll be in - that is the players fault. Crowds are starting to fall and some hardcore supporters have called time on their brilliant loyality and commitment to their football club - that is the players fault. Are the players that powerful these days that the SWFC management can't give them the bollocking they deserve? It seems that no matter how poor most of the squad play, they'll be playing the next game. I've witnessed Doncaster, Ipswich and Reading - vital games, which will shape the future of SWFC. We've not scored, we've shipped 8, we've shown absolutely nothing. So, I ask myself - why are these players still being given the shirts week in, week out?

The last time this club were relegated to League One was a bitter pill to swallow, but it was understandable as the calibre of players we had were not Championship standard and we were rightly relegated. If we are relegated this season, and given our run of games it is odds on, it will be milles more difficult to swallow - and for some, it may be the straw that broke the camels back. Why? Because, unlike 2004, this team is good enough to be in the Championship - and I can't begin to think just how much that will hurt.

Given all of the above, it occured to me - why am I questioning my dad's decision that he may not be renewing for next season? And perhaps that I should be questioning why I have renewed! Given money was extremely tight leading up to Christmas, I actually put the basic living necessities (eating 3 meals a day) to one side numerous times so I had the money to follow this shower around the country. And what do I get back in return? A bunch of players who are doing their very best, not to help progress SWFC, but intent on ruining the football club I love.

The sad thing is, I'll still be there next season, and for many season's after, but I can now fully understand why others have chosen, and will choose, not to be.

They'll regret it when we qualify for the Champions League.

I'm determined to be the only one left who saw it through. Imagine the feeling when they walk out at the Nou Camp, when only 5 years previous you were the only one at the Torquay (a) AutoGlass windows 2nd round 1st leg tie, when a Liam Palmer own goal gave us an uphill task in the 2nd leg.

****NURSE****!

Damn this forum. So close yet so far.

One day my dream that we will all sing delilah togther, will come true.

Just got home from my parents house and had a chat with my dad about renewing his season ticket - he wanted to do it online to save a few quid, so I said I'd do it for him. So, I get my mother's laptop out to renew his season ticket. "Not sure I'll be renewing yet", my dad said. I asked why, and he said said that whilst he can accept players not being good enough, he can't accept - and justify paying - players, who obviously don't give a damn. Players just going through the mill isn't good enough - and . I thought about it for a short while, and I simply could not argue with what he was saying. I did point out that he followed them home and away in the 1970's when things really were dire. He replied saying that whilst those time were bad, at least they gave what they had, even though it was enough, the effort was appreciated - and as a supporter, that is a minimum of what you will accept.

My old man then said he'd been talking to a few of his mates this lunch time in the pub and that group of mates will be calling time on their season tickets at the end of the current season - after over 30 years of being consecutive season ticket holders. Why? The same reasoning. Foot ball is supposed to be competitive and entertaining - the current Sheffield Wednesday team is neither, which makes going very difficult to justify.

Yet, the club is pushing and pushing to those absent fans, who can afford to come back, to come back. Whilst the very core who keep this club going have had enough of gutless, spineless players that seem to pass through Hillsborough year on year. How does the club hope to attract back those who fell by the way side years ago, when the current crop of hardcore are slowly falling away?

I hear the investment process is ongoing, that supporters need to invest in their club (and that this will help investment come), everyone involved from top to bottom of the club has to move forward together, yet we have players (and I use that term lightly) who just stroll through the games without a care in the world, accept mediocre performances, and pick up their six figure annual salaries. At what point are the SWFC management going to hold these people responsible and either tell them to do their jobs or f*ck off?

The investment process is no doubt delayed because of the uncertanty of what league we'll be in - that is the players fault. Crowds are starting to fall and some hardcore supporters have called time on their brilliant loyality and commitment to their football club - that is the players fault. Are the players that powerful these days that the SWFC management can't give them the bollocking they deserve? It seems that no matter how poor most of the squad play, they'll be playing the next game. I've witnessed Doncaster, Ipswich and Reading - vital games, which will shape the future of SWFC. We've not scored, we've shipped 8, we've shown absolutely nothing. So, I ask myself - why are these players still being given the shirts week in, week out?

The last time this club were relegated to League One was a bitter pill to swallow, but it was understandable as the calibre of players we had were not Championship standard and we were rightly relegated. If we are relegated this season, and given our run of games it is odds on, it will be milles more difficult to swallow - and for some, it may be the straw that broke the camels back. Why? Because, unlike 2004, this team is good enough to be in the Championship - and I can't begin to think just how much that will hurt.

Given all of the above, it occured to me - why am I questioning my dad's decision that he may not be renewing for next season? And perhaps that I should be questioning why I have renewed! Given money was extremely tight leading up to Christmas, I actually put the basic living necessities (eating 3 meals a day) to one side numerous times so I had the money to follow this shower around the country. And what do I get back in return? A bunch of players who are doing their very best, not to help progress SWFC, but intent on ruining the football club I love.

The sad thing is, I'll still be there next season, and for many season's after, but I can now fully understand why others have chosen, and will choose, not to be.

I completely agree and the "boring" comment hits the nail on the head for me and people I go with/used to go with. We ar just bored of the constant struggle with little or nothing to be optimistic about - and it is not just this season. People and simply bored of paying out, just to have their weekend spoiled by a bunch of lazy, over paid tosspots.

Why? Because, unlike 2004, this team is good enough to be in the Championship - and I can't begin to think just how much that will hurt.

Excellently drafted post, if I may say.

Only one thing I take issue with. These players are not Championship standard, sorry.

My Dad came up to visit today, and while having lunch we were chatting about the state of the club. I'm due to come back to Sheffield for the weekend in March and we were planning to use some free tickets we've got that we won as part of a competition. The sad truth of the matter is that I said I'd rather not bother going to the match for free because it is simply depressing. The last match I travelled back for was the Palace cup game and for me the performance there was a disgrace. My Dad agreed and we will not be going to the match. I used to look forward to going to the match with my Dad, but more and more often going to the match is the worst part of catching up with him - a couple of beers and good conversation is a much better use of time.

Just got home from my parents house and had a chat with my dad about renewing his season ticket - he wanted to do it online to save a few quid, so I said I'd do it for him. So, I get my mother's laptop out to renew his season ticket. "Not sure I'll be renewing yet", my dad said. I asked why, and he said said that whilst he can accept players not being good enough, he can't accept - and justify paying - players, who obviously don't give a damn. Players just going through the mill isn't good enough - and "it's boring". I thought about it for a short while, and I simply could not argue with what he was saying. I did point out that he followed them home and away in the 1970's when things really were dire. He replied saying that whilst those time were bad, at least they gave what they had, even though it was enough, the effort was appreciated - and as a supporter, that is a minimum of what you will accept.

Damn good post mate. You have summed up everything I am feeling at the moment. I am a season ticket holder of 20 years or so, my ten year old has had one for 3 years and I was going to get my five year old one next year (albeit free) but I'm having second thoughts now! Why? Cos I can not face going while we get nothing in return.

UTO WTID

Excellently drafted post, if I may say.

Only one thing I take issue with. These players are not Championship standard, sorry.

I suspect you'll be in for some stick at work on Monday morning (assuming you're still in Reading and work there obviously!) :biggrin:

Tough to say - this team, enhanced in pre-season, finished mid-table last season after a slow (very!) start to the season. Personally, I don't believe this squad of players is the third worst in the CCC in terms of ability.

Even though we are almost certainly going down this season, just remember that we will be successful again. It may take 20 years, maybe more, maybe less but we will be back. That is a fact.

Football can turn around pretty quickly, just look at the likes of Doncaster, Hull, Stoke, Wigan.

The team is a bag of poo at the moment, there is nothing that any of us can do about that. But the club needs us now more than ever, like it or not. If you can afford it then suck it up and get your season ticket.

The worse thing about this current lot of "players" is that they don't give a throw.

One thing we've had since the 2004/05 season was a good spirit.

We rarely had the best players - whelan, brunt, bougherra aside - but we always gave a hundred percent.

You could fault the ability, but i very rarely left thinking "they didn't put a shift in today"

Everyone remembers the 07/08 season. That team was no better than this current shower - and lost its first 6 games - yet they fought and battled their way to safety. That game against Leicester at the Walkers was one of my proudest days as a Wednesdayite. Yes we were poo , but we had far more guts and determination than Leicester had.

That spirit appears to of completely dissapered this season.

Tough to say - this team, enhanced in pre-season, finished mid-table last season after a slow (very!) start to the season. Personally, I don't believe this squad of players is the third worst in the CCC in terms of ability.

Sorry, good against Barnsley (in parts), Sflaphorpe etc etc. You are as good as your last game.

The last 3 games? Clueless and gutless.

The hope is that there are 3 teams worse than us and therefore we can stay up by default.

On this weekends performance, I doubt there is even two.

As an aside, my sons's mate, Nic is a season ticket holder at Reading. His day was made yesterday;

1)He watched his team thrash us

2)He continually texted my son throughout the game (he was working, thankfully - but didn't want to go anyway).

3)He managed to get his photo took with Tango after the game

It is currently on my son's phone. Tango had his shirt on by this time by the way!

UTO - Keep the Faith

Top post.

I have been soul searching myself. Any other season and I would probably jack it in. But no matter how disappointed I have been, and I was really down after Ipswich, but not so much after Reading, granted 5-0 is difficult to take, but I had convinced myself before the game that we would get nothing, I actually thought we would lose 3-0, so I wasn't far out.

I've decided that I'm going to dig deep, starting with Leicester. I'm going to get behind my team like never before, I'm going to forgive the players anything, as long as they put a shift in. So for the rest of the season, it is support, support, support. If the dreaded happens, and we are relegated, I will continue to back LS and support my club as we start our climb back.

I believe that in LS, we have the right man in charge. I think his choice of Irvine was inspired. If anyone can save us it is Irvine.

I just hope that LS stays to finish the job he started, I also hope that Irvine is here for the long term, I fear one day soon, Irvine will wake up and say, "what the hell have I got myself into" and decide that we are a lost cause, and beyond saving. I hope not, because given time, I believe Irvine can work wonders here. UTO FTB.

Edited by HOOTIE & THE BLOWFISH

This a good thread with some heart felt comments and I agree with everything.

However it's not just Owls fans who are becoming disallusioned with the game.

I sense that unless something radical happens (like decreasing prices) then gates will drop at every club.

Football used to be quite cheap, it was like a religion. You paid you're money to support your club and if you was entertained it was a bonus.

However now that admission prices are so high it is reasonable/ normal to DEMAND entertainment. Also bear in mind that there are lots of alternatives when it comes to entertainment that on the face of it offer much better value than what we see at Hillsboro.

Basically footballers are massively overpaid and it should be £10 adults and £5 for kids at CCC level.

If that was the costs then I would re evaluate my expectations and I would be more reasonable and accept sub par performances.

Top post.

I have been soul searching myself. Any other season and I would probably jack it in. But no matter how disappointed I have been, and I was really down after Ipswich, but not so much after Reading, granted 5-0 is difficult to take, but I had convinced myself before the game that we would get nothing, I actually thought we would lose 3-0, so I wasn't far out.

I've decided that I'm going to dig deep, starting with Leicester. I'm going to get behind my team like never before, I'm going to forgive the players anything, as long as they put a shift in. So for the rest of the season, it is support, support, support. If the dreaded happens, and we are relegated, I will continue to back LS and support my club as we start our climb back.

I believe that in LS, we have the right man in charge. I think his choice of Irvine was inspired. If anyone can save us it is Irvine.

I just hope that LS stays to finish the job he started, I also hope that Irvine is here for the long term, I fear one day soon, Irvine will wake up and say, "what the hell have I got myself into" and decide that we are a lost cause, and beyond saving. I hope not, because given time, I believe Irvine can work wonders here. UTO FTB.

Nail on head.

I was at the Forward Together meeting last Thursday, and it confirmed to me (if any confirmation was needed) that the club (if not the team) is in a far far better place than at any time in the last x years.

18 months ago the only place the fans and the chairman would have met was in a courtroom.

I'd rather have a proper, decent, community-orientated club and be in a lower division than be part of one full of miserable, bitter, angry, money-grubbing shysters and be playing in the over-blown balloon that is currently the Premiership.

Edited by shabbyhouse

Why? Because the current bunch of players will mostly be gone by next season, replaced by newer ones who will be hungry to do well at their new club.

Why? Because it MUST be better next season than this.

Why? Because SWFC needs you at this time more than most.

Why? Because you are a Wednesdayite. That should be enough.

Totally agree, Why should we renew our tickets to see a bunch of overpaid lobbers who don't give a poo about the fans or the club weeing it all away in league 1?

I have better things to spend my money on like my 4 month old girl!

I will be there when i can to show support but i am NOT renewing my season ticket, The players don't deserve it and iv'e lost faith in my club, simple as.

Totally agree, Why should we renew our tickets to see a bunch of overpaid lobbers who don't give a poo about the fans or the club weeing it all away in league 1?

I will be there when i can to show support but i am NOT renewing my season ticket, The players don't deserve it and iv'e lost faith in my club, simple as.

the players aren't the club

the board aren't the club either

the american investors aren't and never will be 'the club'

the bank aren't the club

the ex directors aren't the club....

the players aren't the club

the board aren't the club either

the american investors aren't and never will be 'the club'

the bank aren't the club

the ex directors aren't the club....

I know that, i'm just saying, iv'e lost faith in everything SWFC.

Most of the players won't be a part of it next season, whatever division we're in. "I'm learning all the time," said AI at the weekend. I bet he is.

Obviously it would be better to stay up, but relegation might be what is sadly to happen, and we're in a decent enough place to cope with it. It may just be that we get to watch some winning football, too.