Owls in the Wing

Following our recent run of outstandingly abysmal form, many on here have called for some of the 'young uns' to be given a chance in the first team in an attempt to gain some pride in our play.

With my vastly superior football brain and knowledge of the game, combined with hour upon hour of watching reserve and academy football, I believe I am in a good position to offer an expert opinion on who could be the next big star to come through our academy.

Goalkeepers

Richard O'Donnell - 21

Posted Image

Despite being the Owls' number two keeper for well over two years now, 6'2" stopper Richard O'Donnell holds the record for the most amount of unused substitute appearances for Wednesday without ever making it onto the pitch. First awarded a place in the first team squad by Paul Sturrock for the Owls 2006 tour of the US, O'Donnell commands his area well and has gained a reputation as the man to have between the posts when facing a penalty in reserve team football.

Despite having Football League experience following a loan spell at Oldham two years ago, it's unclear whether Alan Irvine would be prepared to play the Sheffield lad should Lee Grant ever get an injury/suspension, but we'll more than likely find out this summer with the probable sale of Grant following relegation.

Arron Jameson - 20

Posted Image

I have to come clean and say I've never seen 6'3" keeper Jameson in action, but what I do know is that he was the regular understudy to O'Donnell when the two were involved in the academy set-up. Because of the form of O'Donnell and the signing of Rob Burch as back-up keeper a couple of years ago, Jameson has had to settle for loan spells at local non-league sides to get game time, although he has been on the bench for the last 10/11 games at first team level and is highly regarded by former GK coach Billy Mercer.

Defenders

Nick Wood - 19

Posted Image

Following in the footsteps of the recently departed Richard, Nick Wood shares many traits with his older brother. Tall, lanky, and with a penchant for putting his head in where it hurts, Wood is yet another left-footed central defender to come through the Owls' youth set-up and has experience of captaining the academy team.

He was called up for first team action in late 2009 at Bristol City and has been a regular feature of the reserve team of late. Out of contract in the summer.

Max Wragg - 19

Posted Image

What 5'9" Max Wragg lacks in height he more than makes up for with commitment, passion, and a desire to win that will often get him into all sorts of scrapes on the pitch. Naturally a right-back, Wragg shows equal enthusiasm when picked anywhere across the back line, and shows an eagerness to get forward from the full-back positions. Strong in the tackle and a born and bred Wednesdayite, he was rewarded for fine displays in the academy side with a place on the bench for the FA Cup tie with Fulham last year, and has nailed down a regular starting place in the reserve side since then.

Sam Eckhardt - 17

Posted Image

Standing at well over 6 feet tall, Eckhardt is a full-back with age on his side and a real desire to make an impact on the game through his runs down the wing. One to look for over the next year.

Midfielders

Callum Harrison - 19

Posted Image

Another tough-tackling Wednesdayite, Harrison is a rangy central midfielder who has filled out a lot over the last 18 months and improved as a player with it. Keen to get forward, he has a mean shot and should expect to be given an extension on his contract come the summer.

Liam Palmer - 18

Posted Image

Winger Liam Palmer has come on leaps and bounds over the last year or so, taking on more body weight has certainly made an impact on his game and he takes more of a responsibility when it comes to academy games. Captain and penalty taker, he was the top scorer from midfield last year and hasn't looked out of place in the reserve side, even when played out of position in the centre of the park. The Worksop born 18 year old is very quick, has all the tricks that any winger today needs to have, and can deliver when it comes to the final third. Has recently been training with the first team and included on the bench for first team games.

James Cottingham - 19

Posted Image

Central midfielder Cottingham has been the pride of the academy set-up for a number of years and high hopes were held for him by the vast majority of the coaching staff. Comfortable with the ball on either foot, his vision and awareness is excellent, and he isn't afraid to get into a tackle. Perhaps doesn't score as many goals as he should, and a touch on the small side, it may be a while before we see more of him in terms of first team action, but if we're patient we could have a real gem on our hands.

Jack Barnett - 19

Posted Image

In the same mould as Cottingham, Jack Barnett is a central midfielder who has become my one to watch over recent months. Tall, two-footed and capable of playing box-to-box for 90 minutes, his improvement over the last year has been startling and he's really starting to stand out as the star player in the academy side, even at centre-back, where he's being played in an effort to toughen him up. Not that he's in dire need of a competitive spirit, he loves a tackle and takes responsibility for set plays and corners, even at reserve team level, where he recently pushed Etienne Esajas aside to have a strike at goal from 40 yards! (He hit the bar). Really have high hopes for this guy.

Forwards

Nathan Modest - 18

Posted Image

It seems an age since a 14 year old Nathan Modest made his debut for the academy side in an FA Youth Cup tie at Hillsborough in 2005, and since then the pacy front-man's career hasn't set off in quite the way he would have wanted, but the facts remain that he is a powerful young striker with an eye for goal and good awareness of what is happening on the pitch. He is at his best when picking the ball up from deep and running at defenders, and has been rewarded in recent years with several inclusions in the first team squad - Modest became one of the youngest players to appear for the first team when played on the right wing from the start at Cardiff last season. Hopefully he will be able to regain his previous form as there is no questioning he has the ability to become a very talented professional footballer.

Vadaine Oliver - 18

Posted Image

A switch from centre-half to centre-forward has seemingly revitalised the career of this tall lad. Previously a slightly built defender, Oliver has flourished into a striker with a deadly eye for goal, scoring eight goals this season so far (more than anyone at academy level for years). Very similar in style to Jermaine Beckford, Oliver is quick, has the ability to run defenders ragged for 90 minutes, and knows where the back of the net is. Was rewarded with a run out n a first team friendly this summer, expect to see more of this young striker.

Edited by KivoOwl

Which ones would you put in the side in the upcoming games?

If the worst does happen and we go down, any of them ready to go for league one do you think?

Personally I would include modest and palmer because we are crying out for a bit of pace and movement. Both these lads have this.

Also Boden would get a run out.

Not saying start all of them but we need to try something different and bringing on players who don't care is just painful for us to watch.

At least the effort and enthusiasm would ne there for all to see.

No harm in trying.

Guest aphextwins

I've watched the under 19's a couple of times and I really don't think any of them are ready to be thrown into a relegation fight.

Lee's already stated that youth development hasn't been a priority for the club over the last few years and their league position shows this.

What a good lowdown on our prospects Kivo. So good actually that I decided to copy/paste it...

But what is that about Barnett been tall, I was of opinion that he is well under 6ft ?!

All academy lads featured here should be cept here on pro deals, and developed in the right manner.

Going by what I heard Jack Barnett is one I'm routing for the most.

Btw. What about Danny Kirkland ? Not developing the way he was supposed to ?

Btw2. I can see that ypou left your former favorite Hall out of this lost too ?

I would be interesting to hear TBB's opinion on this thread very much if possible...

Vadaine Oliver - 18

Posted Image

A switch from centre-half to centre-forward has seemingly revitalised the career of this tall lad. Previously a slightly built defender, Oliver has flourished into a striker with a deadly eye for goal, scoring eight goals this season so far (more than anyone at academy level for years). Very similar in style to Jermaine Beckford, Oliver is quick, has the ability to run defenders ragged for 90 minutes, and knows where the back of the net is. Was rewarded with a run out n a first team friendly this summer, expect to see more of this young striker.

Been hearing good things about this Oliver. Been banging them in

Anyone know when next Home reserves match is? Wouldn't mind seeing him play

Good post Kivo, very good read. I'd genuinely agree with you.

I think that Wood and Harrison have their future very much linked to the clubs- If we stay up then i reckon that they'll be released tbh, it's a pity that their loan spells at Sheffield FC didn't go better (flipping British weather :biggrin: ) because that could have really put them on the radar of the first team with some strong performances. That said, they both have enough about them that if we get relegated they could provide more than adequate cover in League 1. I think both Nick and Callum Harrison are Wednesday fans so whilst they would of course want us to stay up, i'm sure they will see the possible benefits of going down as well.

I think Tunnard will be be released if we stay up or go down. Lekaj will be on his way as well, although he's nowt to do with the academy anymore technically.

I believe Wragg is also out of contract in the summer as he was offered a 1 year pro deal last year? He's probably the most likely of the 4 to be offered an extension IMO- consistantly good in the reserves and can play at either full back and even in the middle as well which will be taken into account when it comes to Irvine's decision.

Palmer, Oliver and Cottingham all have excellent chances of pro deals, and Modest will definitely get one.

Barnett should get one as well- i'v said before that his game is actually more suited to european football and i stand by that (give him time and space and he can cause havoc but if exposed to too much physicallity has a tendency to go missing a bit.) but he's still clearly got tremendous potential and his stint in the back 4 at CB and RB will help him in the future IMO.

Dale Newton will be on his way i reckon- he's already got O'Donnell and Jameson in front of him in the pecking order and i don't think with our budget we can afford to have 4 pro keepers. Kirkland will probably be released as well IMO- decent player but not good enough to break through into first team action.

That said, there are always a few surprises which pop up come June so i don't think any of them except possibly Modest can afford to take their foot off the gas.

Edited by TheBoyBeevers

Been hearing good things about this Oliver. Been banging them in

Anyone know when next Home reserves match is? Wouldn't mind seeing him play

he's scored 8 for the youth team and non for the reserves... so if he cant score at reserve level how the soddding hell is he gonna do it in the championship