5-3-2 Formation

Guest domSWFC

I'd play Miller along side Oconnor with Tudgay in the free role, with Varney and Johnson up front... Johnson is back for the next game right?

It's not something I'd try at such a crucial stage of the season. The 5-3-2 formation can be very easily overrun by 4-4-2 formations, and with the likes of Leicester and WBA approaching, it would be a very brave (and potentially) foolish alteration to make.

Prior to this month, Irvine had us working much better as a unit, and the organisation was ten fold better than under Laws. Switching from a back four to a back five, would put us back to square one.

I'm not saying it's something that definitely wouldn't work, OR that perhaps it's something we could look to develop, but when you're in a relegation battle, it's hard enough getting player's confidence, morale and performances corrected. Introducing a totally new system, from an organisational point of view, is one other factor that is, perhaps, not needed.

Looking at the next four games, I'd be tempted to revert to a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation. It's a system that the players have worked on previously, and would improve our chances of competing in the midfield battles against the likes of WBA, Leicester and Swansea. All whom play through the midfield, much like Doncaster.

I'd go with...

-----------------------------Grant-----------------------------

Nolan-------------Purse----------Beevers--------------Gray

----------Soares---------O'Connor--------McAllister---------

Tudgay-------------------------------------------------Johnson

-----------------------------Varney-----------------------------

Whatever happens, Irvine is now, going to have to perform a minor miracle to save us from relegation. Next months fixtures, especially the next four games are horrible fixtures.