laws' legacy

will any remaining fans who still subscribe to the misconception that brian laws improved our club finally concede the point that he assembled a poor football team. hand on heart, with the exception of the just above average lee grant would we miss any other player in the squad if they left? The staggering decision to appoint laws as a premier league manager is looking crazier by the minute at burnley and it seems he could play an integral part in the relegation of two clubs in one season. just for the record he has won one game as a manager since october!

He's easilly the best manager we've had this season. He did a fantastic job at Wednesday in untenable circumstances. The folk who blame him for our current woes are beyond belief. It might be more comfortable to blame a far away figure and continue in the belief that those in charge now ar great, but it's codswallop. We are where we are because over the last two months we have not been good enough to get away from it. We have a manager who doesn't understand players and who can't motivate them.

When Irvine had those few wins, it was his team. When we lose, it's Laws team.

Genuine question - when does this become Irvine's team? Because other than a few wins against awful teams like Peterborough and Plymouth etc, I reckon we've got worse since Irvine took over. Fully appreciate Alan is working with Law's players, but when do we start looking at Irvine and asking what he has brought to the table.

And before anyone starts, I think Irvine is a very solid appointment.

will any remaining fans who still subscribe to the misconception that brian laws improved our club finally concede the point that he assembled a poor football team. hand on heart, with the exception of the just above average lee grant would we miss any other player in the squad if they left? The staggering decision to appoint laws as a premier league manager is looking crazier by the minute at burnley and it seems he could play an integral part in the relegation of two clubs in one season. just for the record he has won one game as a manager since october!

Hi Glaser...get back to gritting play grounds.

It is amazing how people never saw this. Surely it's no coincidence that Burnley have now lost more home games since he has been in charge of Burnley, that they did under Coyle (also in less than half the amount of games).

Brian Laws is a very, very poor manager. Tactically inept, poor man manager, bad in the transfer market. He has proved it with the squad he has assembled here and also what he is doing over at Burnley.

Also more of his 'fans' must be starting to "turn" now, as it is a case of blame Brian, or now start blaming Alan. Surely the latter is something they can't and won't do.

It is amazing how people never saw this. Surely it's no coincidence that Burnley have now lost more home games since he has been in charge of Burnley, that they did under Coyle (also in less than half the amount of games).

Brian Laws is a very, very poor manager. Tactically inept, poor man manager, bad in the transfer market. He has proved it with the squad he has assembled here and also what he is doing over at Burnley.

Also more of his 'fans' must be starting to "turn" now, as it is a case of blame Brian, or now start blaming Alan. Surely the latter is something they can't and won't do.

:laugh:

He's easilly the best manager we've had this season. He did a fantastic job at Wednesday in untenable circumstances. The folk who blame him for our current woes are beyond belief. It might be more comfortable to blame a far away figure and continue in the belief that those in charge now ar great, but it's codswallop. We are where we are because over the last two months we have not been good enough to get away from it. We have a manager who doesn't understand players and who can't motivate them.

Why do you think that?

The majority of the players here are Laws's signings. They're the ones who have to a job to keep us up.

AI got what he could out of them at the beginning, but now we're going backwards again and I for one do not blame Irvine at all. In fact I feel sorry for him as his hands are tied with that shower of poo he has to work with.

On the whole Brian's transfer dealings were pretty dire. Fair enough he was hamstrung by lack of cash but when he was allowed to spend, he blew it big time.

Its too early to tell whether Alan Irvine can recruit the right type of player as he hasn't really had the opportunity. I must admit that I was slightly concerned that he brought back Varney and Soares. Not that they aren't good players, they probably are better than what we've seen, but were they what we needed?

How do explain the league table last season?

they weren't Laws' players. Lee has said that.

Laws was allowed to bring in his own players when Lee arrived. The demise has started since then.

I'll ask again. Who assembled this squad which is in the relegation zone ? Who instilled their mentality and will to win ? Who trained these people and taught them tactics ?

All this can't be forgotten in a matter of weeks.

they weren't Laws' players. Lee has said that.

Laws was allowed to bring in his own players when Lee arrived. The demise has started since then.

I'll ask again. Who assembled this squad which is in the relegation zone ? Who instilled their mentality and will to win ? Who trained these people and taught them tactics ?

All this can't be forgotten in a matter of weeks.

Maybe, but they're still the players we've got now.

Maybe, but they're still the players we've got now.

they are unfortunately.

I don't like this want for apportioning the blame to one person, but what else are the alternatives ?

As bad as DA was, he didn't really cause the assembly of this horrendous squad. He gave us expensive loans, but we always seemed to pull in some damn good loan players while he was here.... now we just get Feeney, Soares and Varney.

Next onto Irvine, he cannot shoulder this burden neither as the team is not his. He is annoying with his willingness to drop some after one bad game, yet keep others playing after 5 or 6, but, out of this squad I bet he would like to keep probably 5 or 6 players.

The mentality is all wrong. I thought he had changed all this, but they now seem to have lost that spark and buzz he brought to the place. Hopefully he can re-discover this and try, in any way, to instill some self belief and confidence. (look at Reading as an example of what a bit of this can do)

Finally, Lee. where can the finger be pointed at him regarding this season ? Yeah he sanctioned the loan signings and players Brian wanted, but he is hardly going to say "no you can't have them they are crap". He trusted his manager.

So, that leaves the man who this thread is about as the main protagonist

Are you on the comedy circuit?

If you look at AI record since coming here, and take his win ratio over a season we would finish in the top 12 of this league.

AI has inherited a bunch of t0ssers, recruited in the main by Laws.

they are unfortunately.

I don't like this want for apportioning the blame to one person, but what else are the alternatives ?

As bad as DA was, he didn't really cause the assembly of this horrendous squad. He gave us expensive loans, but we always seemed to pull in some damn good loan players while he was here.... now we just get Feeney, Soares and Varney.

Next onto Irvine, he cannot shoulder this burden neither as the team is not his. He is annoying with his willingness to drop some after one bad game, yet keep others playing after 5 or 6, but, out of this squad I bet he would like to keep probably 5 or 6 players.

The mentality is all wrong. I thought he had changed all this, but they now seem to have lost that spark and buzz he brought to the place. Hopefully he can re-discover this and try, in any way, to instill some self belief and confidence. (look at Reading as an example of what a bit of this can do)

Finally, Lee. where can the finger be pointed at him regarding this season ? Yeah he sanctioned the loan signings and players Brian wanted, but he is hardly going to say "no you can't have them they are crap". He trusted his manager.

So, that leaves the man who this thread is about as the main protagonist

To be honest, I haven't a bloody clue. We had a good season last year, and a lot of fans were optimistic about this one, we started ok and then sunk like a stone. Laws goes, Irvine comes in, we show some passion, grind out a few excellent results and now 3 god awful performances. It's baffling. Ok, I agree Laws should shoulder the blame for the struggle we find ourselves in now, and hell yeah he had to go. But I really believe the players are better than the position we're in and the crap they're dishing out currently. Law's lost the dressing room, that's obvious, but it's the players who need to stand up and put their balls on the table.

i don't believe it...you actually think BL was to blame for any of our present woes...if that was the case then burnley would be on an unbelievably bad run...and he would have a look on his face like he hadn't a clue when you saw him during and after matches...and would be the $hitest appointment ever in football...perhaps what brian needs is some input and assistance from former managers like...john barnes...simon davey...

But where does the knock on effect end?

Coyle has won only twice in the league for Bolton...so using your theory that Laws left this bunch of crap for Irvine, Coyle left the bunch of crap at Burnley and Megson left Coyle the bunch of dross at Bolton...Ferguson picked up the dross that got Irvine left as well I suppose?

Surely you can see that you are speaking a load of tosh?

BL did ok, it went sour this season and the players confidence, believe, care? has seemingly completely gone - probably the be all and end of all it.

If we must go the american route of pointing the finger - surely it has to go to the board and the lack of making a quicker decision? (Which no doubt many would then call a knee jerk decision had they done so..)

Edited by wilson123

I hate to say this but Glaser has been spot on throughout the thread **cringes**.

Its Laws team, if Irivine continued his win ratio throughout the season then we'd be ok.

How we can judge Laws on last season is unbelievable. He did a fantastic job last season however he showed no ambition in the transfer market and signed players who didnt improve the team (i actually stated in the summer we should have thanked Gray for his contribution and moved on). This didnt happen. We have to concentrate on what we have which tends to be nothing.

Id be looking for more strength in the team and something a bit different. Gray offers nothing, neither does any of the Midfield.

We are still living in Laws legacy and unfortunately its worth trying something next week to test the water.Whats the point in continuing as we are and getting relegated miserably?