Important point re season tickets and direct debit scheme

Guest Deleted member

Guest Deleted member

Saw this point made yesterday but can't remember the thread.

IF we have a poo poo start to next season, what is there to stop people deciding they have had enough and just stop paying the DD - meaning they wont end up paying the full value of a season ticket?

Guest Deleted member

Had wondered that myself. Can you get a refund now despite one payment having already come out of the bank?

I renewed earlier you see :cool:

Actually thats an even bigger point. I hadnt considered that either

I'm assuming there will be something in the agreement like when you take on a mobile phone contract, i.e. that you have to pay at least X-amount for X-amount of time.

But if the phone doesnt do what it says on the tin you get to take it back and get a new one. Edited by curren

Sale of goods act requires that it is fit for the purpose.

Depends on what you view as "fit & purpose"

If you want to have a good old moan on a Sat afternoon at 5pm then you simply have to get a season ticket.

The issue hereis that you are not paying direct debits for the season ticket.

You are paying direct debits to a third party to repay a loan for your season ticket. so sale of goods act dosn't apply. Paying for your season ticket by credit card would give you better protection under the sale of goods act.

Also a ticket for any match(or season) is for a football match between two teams not a good winning performance by your team!

If we take yesterday I am sure the man on the Clapham Omnibus will think it was a good game of football (and the reading fans will agree).

Edited by pahowl

Guest Ripley Owl

Saw this point made yesterday but can't remember the thread.

IF we have a poo poo start to next season, what is there to stop people deciding they have had enough and just stop paying the DD - meaning they wont end up paying the full value of a season ticket?

As far as i was aware the direct debit scheme is done through a seperate entity being the finance house chosen.

when you sign up for the scheme , the money is released to purchase the season ticket, so after the money has been passed i would be surprised if you were able to get a refund.Really you have paid cash for the whole ticket but are allowed to pay over the months agreed.

Guest Ripley Owl

once the ticket is paid for its your property, you have bought it but if you stop paying it probably will not be the club that comes after you, but the finance house , its their money !

Because you start paying your Direct Debit in advance of the season, you will always be "in credit" with your payments. ie: you will have paid in full for your season ticket by christmas/new year, [12 payments from dec 2009, 10 payments from feb 2010, 6 payments from June 2010]

So in effect, if you cancel your direct debit at any time, you will already have paid for more matches than we will have played, and your season ticket will be stopped.

Sale of goods act requires that it is fit for the purpose.

Depends on what you view as "fit & purpose"

A season ticket wouldn't count as "goods" for the purposes of the Sale of Goods Act.

You could try and argue that the club are providing you with a service, under the Supply of Goods and Services Act - you can potentially get your money back if they don't provide the services with "reasonable care and skill". But I doubt that the requirement for reasonable care and skill extends to the quality of the football. I think as long as they provide you with decent facilities to watch the game, the club are fulfilling all their legal requirements, even if the games are crap.

Because you start paying your Direct Debit in advance of the season, you will always be "in credit" with your payments. ie: you will have paid in full for your season ticket by christmas/new year, [12 payments from dec 2009, 10 payments from feb 2010, 6 payments from June 2010]

So in effect, if you cancel your direct debit at any time, you will already have paid for more matches than we will have played, and your season ticket will be stopped.

You will still owe any outstanding amount to Zebra finance though !

I thought the direct debit scheme was infact a loan.

Correct me if im wrong but reading the small print it is an interest free loan.

Correct ! I wonder just how many people have actually bought in with this option, not realising they are accountable for the full amount, and can't just stop paying if they feel like it.

Correct ! I wonder just how many people have actually bought in with this option, not realising they are accountable for the full amount, and can't just stop paying if they feel like it.

Er, everyone I would think.