Gaylord Howard

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sportheadlines/OW...sday.6109000.jp

BRIAN Howard is bidding to silence the Sheffield Wednesday fans who called him a Dingle and a pig.

Insults came when he played against the Owls for Barnsley and United - all part of the usual South Yorkshire derby hostilities.

Today he faces his first game against Wednesday in a Reading shirt, knowing that he is likely to get some stick from the away fans.

The midfield player says: "The two sides that Wednesday hate the most are my two old clubs.

"I got called a Dingle when I was playing at Barnsley and got called a pig at United. So I'll be getting called all sorts - hopefully I can stick one in the net and silence them all this time."

Howard was a hero of the Reading fans thanks to a stoppage-time equaliser that took their FA Cup fifth-round replay at West Brom into extra time and towards victory.

"Getting to the quarter-finals of the FA Cup is great, but it's no good if you're in the bottom three," he added. "We have to take our good form into the Wednesday game and get the three points."

Meanwhile, Alan Irvine has revealed that he was "astonished" that play was not stopped before Ipswich scored their winner at Hillsborough.

Left-side midfield player Michael Gray had been down with a head injury - for which referees normally stop the game quickly - and could not get back to help left back Tommy Spurr defend the area from which Carlos Edwards' strike came last Saturday.

Irvine did not mention the issue at his post-match press conference because he did not want it to appear that he was making excuses.

But he told The Star: "Michael was down in the D on the edge of their box with a head injury after going for a header; they counter-attacked, and Tommy Spurr was left as one against two.

"Michael had started to get back up; the referee had a little look at him. The ball went to our right side where we missed out in a couple of challenges; the ball was then switched to our left; if Michael had not gone down injured, he would have been back in that slot."

But Irvine also gave Ipswich some credit: "They capitalised on us being a man short."

Edited by BIG D