Great News For Frankie

http://www.swfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10304~1978569,00.html

Simek receives international call

Posted on: Fri 26 Feb 2010

Sheffield Wednesday defender Frank Simek has received a call-up to the USA international squad for next week's friendly encounter against Holland.

The game takes place in Amsterdam on Wednesday March 10. Simek will leave to join the American squad on Sunday and will return to England on Thursday.

Simek has five caps for the USA under the belt and last featured on the international stage in 2007, when he played against Mexico in the CONCACAF Gold Cup final.

The Missouri product exclusively told swfc.co.uk: "I'm extremely happy to receive this call-up and hopefully I will play a part in the game.

"First and foremost, the important thing was to get back playing for Wednesday and that has led to me being back in contention for my country.

"I know it will be a difficult match against Holland but one that I am really looking forward to. We have plenty of good players in our squad and we know that we are capable of beating most teams on our day."

Simek will now have an eye on the World Cup finals in South Africa later this year, when the USA open Group C with a crunch clash against England.

Edited by Sam779

Cool - very well done, Frankie - that's some comeback, after the frustrating past few months you've had. Well done - you're a real pro.

A few of of our team should look at him and learn.

well done to the fella,

this could do us some good aswell, theres surely a chance this'll give him a reight old confidence boost n may well help bring back his top form for us a la frankie of old.

And jolly handy timing whilst in late-stage talks with USA-centric potential investors, as it happens ... :-)

weren't people praying for the return of Lewis Buxton just the other week after the Donny debacle, saying Frankie had lost it ?

This thread was in danger of being possitive! good work Glaser, we dont want any of that happy clapping gonads on

OwlsTalk!

Edited by Donny

Really pleased for the lad, hopefully it will give him a confidence boost.

It's bad news for us in a way though. We have a rearranged fixture against West Brom on 9 March which he won't be available for now and with our lack of defensive cover at the moment it will leave us extremely light on numbers. It shows just how important that signing of Eddie Nolan was.

Anyone know whem Buxton is due to be available again?

Guest callmepele

Really pleased for the lad, hopefully it will give him a confidence boost.

It's bad news for us in a way though. We have a rearranged fixture against West Brom on 9 March which he won't be available for now and with our lack of defensive cover at the moment it will leave us extremely light on numbers. It shows just how important that signing of Eddie Nolan was.

Anyone know whem Buxton is due to be available again?

Game is actually on 3 March according to ussoccer so he won't be missing any games. Be interesting to see if he plays as I think Spector from west ham is the prefered right back with Cherundolo injured. Hope it gives him the confidence and performance boost he needs tho

Game is actually on 3 March according to ussoccer so he won't be missing any games. Be interesting to see if he plays as I think Spector from west ham is the prefered right back with Cherundolo injured. Hope it gives him the confidence and performance boost he needs tho

Hope you're right mate but Wednesday's official site says 10 March for Holland v USA and 9 March for WBA v SWFC.

Edited by SWFCtillIdie

Guest Blue&WhiteBen

hopefully it will give his confidence a boost getting called up again,

but they are playing holland, so they/he might get destroyed

I really like Simek.

Not only is (Os was?) he a fantastic player, but when everyone else like Whelan, Brunt, Bougherra couldn't wait to move to a better team, he stuck with us and signed a contract.

Couldn’t agree with you more

Out of the shower we have, he is one of only a few true pro’s we have in the first team

I remember the first injury he suffered; the pitch was still wet through from the floods (if my memory serves me correctly)

Hopefully those days are behind him now, and he will be like the “new signing” in defence we have been craving