Anyone a bit fed up?

I new a fella once.

He was brutal to his wife, he used to come home drunk, beat her, abuse and generally be a right b@stard.

This happened for years. I would point out that his treatment of his wife was abusive and uncalled for. He said that he ran the house and that it was her job to run a home and bring the kids up. He added that she had nowhere to go and would always stand by him.

The abuse, neglect and insults continued.

Eventually, she left him and never returned.

I used to be a fan of a football club. Now apparently just a consumer of a brand. Part of the reason I am pocketing the grand I spent on STs last year when I was buying in to the new start.

Thats how you perceive yourself mate...i'm totally different...i see the board and the players as peripherals, i see the marketing for what it is, and i still follow Sheffield Wednesday despite all the tat, all the rest is transient crap...how you ever stop "being a fan" is totally beyond me...Its summat i can never see myself doing

Guest billsaja

Thats how you perceive yourself mate...i'm totally different...i see the board and the players as peripherals, i see the marketing for what it is, and i still follow Sheffield Wednesday despite all the tat, all the rest is transient crap...how you ever stop "being a fan" is totally beyond me...Its summat i can never see myself doing

Not just Wednesday mate, football in general.

In fact, our club is probably (at least these days under LS) one of the best, but I hate the money in the sport, hate the players that don't give a poo , hate that we are where we are because a bunch of greedy or more people born out of wedlock 10 years ago took the club and made it a business.

LS at least is a fan and treats this like it is our club, but I just cannot abide forking out money to support a business plan rather than support a club.

Not just Wednesday mate, football in general.

In fact, our club is probably (at least these days under LS) one of the best, but I hate the money in the sport, hate the players that don't give a poo , hate that we are where we are because a bunch of greedy or more people born out of wedlock 10 years ago took the club and made it a business.

LS at least is a fan and treats this like it is our club, but I just cannot abide forking out money to support a business plan rather than support a club.

LS arrived 10-15 years too late.

Sad but true in my mind.

Sad but true in my mind.

I've been thinking it over and have come to the same conclusion.

Despite Lee's sterling efforts, and admitting my own cynical streak, I think Lee has come too late.

It will take outside stimulus or blind luck to get us out of where we are.

Guest billsaja

Sad but true in my mind.

Nail on head there.

I am sorry if my first post was construed as a dig at him, it wasn't, it was response to OP's title - anyone a bit fed up - yes, I am fed up with the "business of sport". Hardly kids in park, jumpers as goalposts, isn't it, saggy faced lad going to be picked last, sad, isn't he, Ron?

Can't wait for the fall out from Pompey to sweep out the turds and give us back REAL football clubs......I think once the proverbial hits the fan, Wednesday will emerge strong thanks to sensible management and living within means, support of creditors etc. Palace, Watford, Norwich just tip of very large iceburg, with Blades f'ed, Pompey busted next season, could be worth saving up for the big push.

Nail on head there.

I am sorry if my first post was construed as a dig at him, it wasn't, it was response to OP's title - anyone a bit fed up - yes, I am fed up with the "business of sport". Hardly kids in park, jumpers as goalposts, isn't it, saggy faced lad going to be picked last, sad, isn't he, Ron?

Can't wait for the fall out from Pompey to sweep out the turds and give us back REAL football clubs......I think once the proverbial hits the fan, Wednesday will emerge strong thanks to sensible management and living within means, support of creditors etc. Palace, Watford, Norwich just tip of very large iceburg, with Blades f'ed, Pompey busted next season, could be worth saving up for the big push.

Indeed.

Can't believe how long certain clubs have been clinging on to be honest.

The football dream dam has been leaking a while, and needs to burst before it can be rebuilt.

Your tip for the next to go ?

Nail on head there.

I really hope this happens and everything bottoms out , It really grates with me that overpaid under performing players and agents are flushed out of the game and we all get back to basics , don't get me wrong i believe that cream rises and should be rewarded but some of the poo poo that have been responsible for the downfall of ours and other clubs should not have to be tolerated .

Guest billsaja

Indeed.

Can't believe how long certain clubs have been clinging on to be honest.

The football dream dam has been leaking a while, and needs to burst before it can be rebuilt.

Your tip for the next to go ?

In the top flight, Blackburn are screwed if they lose the money they get every year from the Walker Trust (which is apparently happening), heard some rumours of screwy accounting at Bolton, and this Yeung money is odd at Birmingham.....in the fizzy pop wow, take your pick, but I have been saying for a LONG time that McCabe is dying to get out at the piggies and I don't fancy Peterborough's position 12 months from now. Add to that Cardiff and Watford are living on a technicality as solvent entities.

Further down, Stockport may be the biggest risk to just disappear completely, along with Bournemouth, Darlington and how much longer are they going to keep propping Southend up from the Board level.....Swindon too. Luton - good as gone unless they get some very sweet - and unlikely - stadium deal done.

Think ahead 6 months, assuming we stay up (and I think we will) we are looking at starting a season with three hard-up teams coming down (Burnley, Bolton and Pompey), Palace (I still think QPR goes down), Watford, Cardiff and Blades in MAJOR financial straits, Preston (seriously, has anyone looked at their accounts!!) not much better off.......if LS keeps us on the trajectory we are on OFF the field, we have a relatively strong position.

In the top flight, Blackburn are screwed if they lose the money they get every year from the Walker Trust (which is apparently happening), heard some rumours of screwy accounting at Bolton, and this Yeung money is odd at Birmingham.....in the fizzy pop wow, take your pick, but I have been saying for a LONG time that McCabe is dying to get out at the piggies and I don't fancy Peterborough's position 12 months from now. Add to that Cardiff and Watford are living on a technicality as solvent entities.

Further down, Stockport may be the biggest risk to just disappear completely, along with Bournemouth, Darlington and how much longer are they going to keep propping Southend up from the Board level.....Swindon too. Luton - good as gone unless they get some very sweet - and unlikely - stadium deal done.

Think ahead 6 months, assuming we stay up (and I think we will) we are looking at starting a season with three hard-up teams coming down (Burnley, Bolton and Pompey), Palace (I still think QPR goes down), Watford, Cardiff and Blades in MAJOR financial straits, Preston (seriously, has anyone looked at their accounts!!) not much better off.......if LS keeps us on the trajectory we are on OFF the field, we have a relatively strong position.

Pffft that's like 7 each way bets in the National.

:biggrin:

I'm going for Palace, Watford and Southend in that order.

Come on, name your next 3.

This is the thing clubs will go to the wall because they have had to take risks to keep up with their peers .

I feel sorry for the supporters of these clubs .

Its all fooked up and its happening .

I really hope this happens and everything bottoms out , It really grates with me that overpaid under performing players and agents are flushed out of the game and we all get back to basics , don't get me wrong i believe that cream rises and should be rewarded but some of the poo poo that have been responsible for the downfall of ours and other clubs should not have to be tolerated .

I've been convinced for a long time that this time would come. Portsmouth is just the tip of the iceberg, there will undoubtedly be more.

My guess would be Hull or West Ham or someone of that ilk.

It wouldn't surprise me if a much 'bigger' club goes too.

This has to happen, but as Scram (I think) pointed out on a similar thread, it is those that aren't responsible that will suffer the consequences and not those that are responsible.

Give it a few years and they will be back! Got a young squad at the moment because they cant afford anyone but once they gel they will have a good team imo.

Guest billsaja

Give it a few years and they will be back! Got a young squad at the moment because they cant afford anyone but once they gel they will have a good team imo.

Which is why it is so sad - they have been in admin forever it seems and at some point that ends.

To answer Mr. F

Darlington, Stockport and long shot Southend to go to the wall

Walsall, Norwich and Charlton to enter admin in the next 12 months.

Posh, Hull and Swindon to drop 2 divisions over the next 5 years (along with Pompey depending on who buys them out of admin)

Bradford, Leeds and Southampton to rise 2 divisions over the same space of time.

Also Coventry bought by hedge fund.....hedge funds like 5 - 7 year exits. Be wary at the Rioch.

And a hung parliament.

There