Encouraging about Liam Palmer

BTW - I was talking to mu uncle the other day who coached Liam and Jack Barnett as eight year olds in Worksop - said they were stand out players even at that age, Liam as a striker and Jack as a central mid.

He reckons there are 1 or 2 others in Worksop at the moment who are as good as them at a similar age and one who is even better - Wednesday didn't want to know and he's choosing between United and Forest now.

I can remember playing against Liam a few years ago, he will only have been 14/15 at the time and it was an U18's game, he was the best player on the pitch.

I would be seriously disappointed if one of: Barnett, Cottingham, Palmer, Oliver and Modest don't get offer of a Pro deal with us.

But we seriously need "feeder" club who will look to give this kids first taste of competitive football...

Btw. Kivo, even I think that it is too early to start judging players at the age of 8. Your uncle can say whatever he wants, but differences about "talented" kids are so narrow at that age, and around 1000 things must went right for them to still play football at a decent level when they turn 16.

BTW - I was talking to mu uncle the other day who coached Liam and Jack Barnett as eight year olds in Worksop - said they were stand out players even at that age, Liam as a striker and Jack as a central mid.

Was your uncle involved with the Young Owls who they played for from U8s ?

Sadly their manager Mike Eyre ( who everyone had immense respect for in junior football in particular) passed away about 3 years ago.

Edited by OhForAnotherShez

Was your uncle involved with the Young Owls who they played for from U8s ?

Sadly their manager Mike Eyre ( who everyone had immense respect for in junior football in particular) passed away about 3 years ago.

No (didn't know that btw, very sad), as I said, he was their manager at Worksop Boys Club at that age before they went to Wednesday and they occasionally turned out for the WBC after that up to about 13/14.

I would be seriously disappointed if one of: Barnett, Cottingham, Palmer, Oliver and Modest don't get offer of a Pro deal with us.

How good is Cottingham? When I was young he used to live on the next road from me, he moved out one day and the next time I saw him was in a programme touted as a player for the future ha! Was a bit of a shock, I used to play against him and his younger brother, who was also good for his age, all the time. He used to just walk around doing kick-ups with the inside of his feet, up and down the road all day. Like I say we was young, like I was about 10 and he was about 8, but back then he was annoying to play with; constant tricks and skills as appose to anything remotely constructive. Is he anything like that now? Having done abit of coaching now I've still never seen anyone that young have better feet that what he had.

From what I heard he is pretty much like that even now, although he got prized for his awareness of what is going on around him, and even described as playmaker at times.

You will have a chance to check for yourself at March 20 when we play Man Utd academy at Midelowood, and game will be shown live on Man Utd TV