History and Expectations vs "The debt"

There is too much talk of booing and negativity. The booing on Saturday was from a minority, certainly no-one near me booed the team off although I did hear some. The overwhelming reaction of everyone near me was sheer depression - not because our 'once great team' was not performing as expected - but because it was performing like a newly formed Sunday league team that had never played together before. Long, long balls, at best with a 50% chance of going to our own player, mis-kicks, passes to the box with no-one reading them etc. Everyone around me was just completely depressed and although we tried to cheer the team on, we ended up in stunned silence - sheer disbelief that the team collectively and as individuals could play so badly - against very poor opposition. As Wednesday supporters we don't boo.

I've watched at Hillsborough since 1955 and this is as bad as I can remember in terms of football on the pitch - it's back to the mid '70s when we nearly went down to Division 4.

Iv been watching since the 1990s, and i can remember it being a hell of a lot worse than this.

The booing, if it was by a minority, echoed around the ground, and come what may it can NEVER help our cause to boo. I was sat in the kop and heard numerous people around me screaming abuse at specific players throughout the game.

Faced with that abuse, i wouldnt want to play for you either.

I instantly thought of JP Mcgovern :biggrin:

Luckily our leaders decreed he was a crock and we got rid. I mean, look at him now, look at Swindon. I mean, eh?

;-)

I personally think there are two issues. The first is specific to our situation being a fallen giant and having high expectations, as Bluesteel describes.

I think the second issue is a much wider issue regarding football as a whole. With the exception of a few teams near the top of the Premiership or teams playing above their station i.e. Burnley, then I would suggest there are many fans up and down the country saying the same sort of things about football becoming more expensive and forgetting its roots. This results in apathy and people expecting more for their money.

There is too much talk of booing and negativity. The booing on Saturday was from a minority, certainly no-one near me booed the team off although I did hear some. The overwhelming reaction of everyone near me was sheer depression - not because our 'once great team' was not performing as expected - but because it was performing like a newly formed Sunday league team that had never played together before. Long, long balls, at best with a 50% chance of going to our own player, mis-kicks, passes to the box with no-one reading them etc. Everyone around me was just completely depressed and although we tried to cheer the team on, we ended up in stunned silence - sheer disbelief that the team collectively and as individuals could play so badly - against very poor opposition. As Wednesday supporters we don't boo.

I've watched at Hillsborough since 1955 and this is as bad as I can remember in terms of football on the pitch - it's back to the mid '70s when we nearly went down to Division 4.

Even the minority booing is more than some fans of other teams would do.

The level of abuse and depression are borne out of the build up of failed expectations. For example last season we feared the worst after only making one summer signing...that was followed by a 12th place finish and a summer of optimism...cue collapse.

Its not just about the last couple of games, its been happening for god knows how long.

I'm not having that we're to blame in any way for this season. Remember WBA at home? The players gave up. That's why we're about to get relegated. The character of the squad.

Im not blaming anyone.

Its just a fact that we have the same expectations and traditions of the teams who are currently at the top end of the table (probably even bigger expectations than some of them!) but the budget of a team in the bottom third.

In many cases, when the team do give up then any crowd in any division would be right to be annoyed. I just find it interesting that even when were doing poorly, were still seen as a scalp to some local teams and this increases the pressure on us.

I dont blame us for being optimistic either, this summer was a great one and the club seemed to be mended, then we imploded on the pitch.