Will we ever be back?

Guest totemowl

Don't know why we are talking about Leeds but to compare them tvvats to us a joke.

Of course it is, the one difference between us and them is that are genuinely a big club and we like to think we are.....but we're not!!!!

They were a big club, then they went under. Now they are just a League One outfit.

Agreed. The 'natural' order of things has been skewed massively by the effects of TV money and more recently the influx of the super-rich owners.

And I can't help but think that a return to the Premier League - as it currently stands - would kill us.

Give me a competitive Championship side, with players that put a shift in week after week, over paying way over the odds for average Premier League players just to stand a chance of surviving a season.

Agreed with everything there dude.

I'd rather have Wednesday do things the right way and be a crap team at a club I can be proud of than do it the wrong way and have a team I'm proud of at a club that lost its heart.

Rather have SWFC- Est. 1867 in the Championship than SWFC- Est. 2010 in the Premier League. At the end of the day, football's only a game- play it the right way and hold your heads up high.

Don't know why we are talking about Leeds but to compare them tvvats to us a joke.

They are a one club city. The have huge towns and cities like Wakefield and Harrogate nearby that don't even have football teams. The nearest 2 are Bradford and Huddersfield and many of their residents now support Leeds owing to their towns never tasting any sort of success for generations. Wednesday have United on their doorsteps and then Barnsley, Rotherham, Doncaster and Chesterfield within spitting distance.

And why we would ever want Bates near our club is beyond me...

1 - he milks the Leeds fans for every penny they have got.

2 - he prints in the matchday programme the name and address of a director who 'dared' to disagree with him and asked fans to pay said director a visit.

3 - he prevents BBC Leeds from broadcasting games on the radio so Leeds fans have to tune in to Yorkshire Radio, the station he owns.

4 - Bates took them into administration and was somehow allowed to buy back the club for LESS money than a rival consortium was offering!!! Resulting in many businesses losing thousands and thousands of pounds.

Strafford might not be every one's cup of tea but at least he is genuine, he is working his knackers off and has the very best interests of the club and fans at heart.

Wednesday ooze class. Leeds don't know the meaning of the word.

agreed on bates but not on the leeds fanbase thing . Since i started watching us we have tended to have bigger or similiar gates

sorry meant to say when in the same league . When we were both in div 2 in the 80s our crowds were higher gespite the fact it was less than a decade since they won the title and got to the european cup final ditto the early 90s

The truth is leeds are a fickle bunch who turn up at the first sign of success and dissapear when things go pear shaped , and i am not counting the last 3 years as that is a badge of honour thing one poor seaso in league one and they would have been down to 15000 or worse

The stregnth of our fanbase is it stays constant no matter what , the weakness we are slow to jump on a bandwagon

A for bates remember he ran chelsea into debt then conned harding out of his cash then shat on him skint them again and was saved by abramovich who he has since slaughtered . As for leeds they may be making money but they do not own anything eg the ground wich is our greatest assett

With regard to Leeds, they are a one club city and if Wednesday were in League one thumping most teams (up until recently) with a striker that usually gets between 25-30 goals a season it would give people something exciting to watch and more people would come along.

This season with us has been a disaster, despite building on a solid unit last season the team has lost the plot for whole periods of the season and I hope it isnt about to happen again. Its depressing to watch really, even the state of the pitch annoys me at the moment.

it would be unfeasible to say ............

Back to where though?

It could be argued that we are where we should be.

Wednesday have spent 22 seasons of the 41 I've lived through playing outside of the top league in English football.

I just don't buy this whole 'we belong in the top flight' nonsense.

We are a team that has always yo-yo'd between the top two leagues.

For me the problem is that the successes of the mid 80's and early 90's have created an artificially high level of expectation.

A good point ,This is my 47th season and to my calculation it is as follows.

63/64 - 69/70 Old 1st Division 7 seasons

70/71 - 83/84 2nd and 3rd divions 14 seasons

84/85 - 89/90 1st Division 6 seasons

90/91 2nd division 1 season

91/92 Old 1st Division 1 season

92/93 - 99/00 Premiership 8 seasons

00/01 - 09/10 championship and League 10 seasons and counting

Sadly the result is 22- 25 to the bad guys :ohmy:

agreed

Of course it is, the one difference between us and them is that are genuinely a big club and we like to think we are.....but we're not!!!!

:blink:

If this was my site you'd be restricted to the non football section for that heresy

I was lucky enough to be a child of the mid 80s era and enjoyed the glory days of the early 90s in my teens – a time when my Wednesday obsession was at it’s most fervent.

My record stands at 13 years in the top flight and 10 outside and I’ve started to accept that I’m a supporter of a ‘second division’ club.

Will we ever be back? History suggests yes. I think eventually we’ll fluke promotion with a distinctly average side like Stoke, Hull and Derby did in recent seasons.

BUT…. penny to a pinch of sh*t if we somehow survived our first season in the Prem it wouldn’t be long before lots of Wednesdayites were moaning about only drawing at home with the likes of Villa or Everton.

A good point ,This is my 47th season and to my calculation it is as follows.

63/64 - 69/70 Old 1st Division 7 seasons

70/71 - 83/84 2nd and 3rd divions 14 seasons

84/85 - 89/90 1st Division 6 seasons

90/91 2nd division 1 season

91/92 Old 1st Division 1 season

92/93 - 99/00 Premiership 8 seasons

00/01 - 09/10 championship and League 10 seasons and counting

Sadly the result is 22- 25 to the bad guys :ohmy:

The point is though, at least you have seen the good times.

You've seen us lift cups, play at Wembley, become one of the most feared sides in European football.

Whereas the best Wednesday player I've ever seen is Gerald Sibon...

The point is though, at least you have seen the good times.

You've seen us lift cups, play at Wembley, become one of the most feared sides in European football.

Whereas the best Wednesday player I've ever seen is Gerald Sibon...

Keep the faith bud - I started following SWFC early 70's and all I heard was how good we were "back in the day".

I guess I was late teens before I saw any form of success at Hillsborough under big Jack. But when it happens it feels very good honestly :biggrin:

My view..... this is our level and we'll flirt with success every 10 to 15 years then blow it.

We had our chance in the 90's to really establish ourselves and blew it. When I think back, not replacing Atkinson with another proven big name manager was the catalyst and it's been steady downhill since then. We bottled it and went for the easy/cheap options.

I'd say a side finishing 3rd in the Premier League would be quite well respected in European footballing circles...

I am convinced of one thing with regards to football and success.

If, on my death bed, I was to compile two lists showing the following for all league clubs

1. Average league position finishes over my lifetime and

2. Average attendance over my lifetime

I am willing to bet the lists would read almost identically.

There will be short term ups and downs of course due to either a short term windfall or mismanagement (Wigan and Leeds right now are prime examples) but over 80 years or however long I live it will all even itself out. As such, on that list, we will end up somewhere between 13th and 17th in the top flight in my eyes - the bigger and better supported clubs over the long term being (in no order)

Man Utd

Man City

Chelsea

Spurs

Arsenal

Villa

Liverpool

Everton

Leeds

Newcastle

Sunderland

West Ham

Plus a few you could argue the throw over either way.

Kivo - I am willing to bet if you make it to 80 then we will average out around 15th in the top flight. The last ten years we have woefully underperformed, the previous 8 we mostly overperformed.

So don't worry.

I am convinced of one thing with regards to football and success.

If, on my death bed, I was to compile two lists showing the following for all league clubs

1. Average league position finishes over my lifetime and

2. Average attendance over my lifetime

I am willing to bet the lists would read almost identically.

There will be short term ups and downs of course due to either a short term windfall or mismanagement (Wigan and Leeds right now are prime examples) but over 80 years or however long I live it will all even itself out. As such, on that list, we will end up somewhere between 13th and 17th in the top flight in my eyes - the bigger and better supported clubs over the long term being (in no order)

Man Utd

Man City

Chelsea

Spurs

Arsenal

Villa

Liverpool

Everton

Leeds

Newcastle

Sunderland

West Ham

Plus a few you could argue the throw over either way.

Kivo - I am willing to bet if you make it to 80 then we will average out around 15th in the top flight. The last ten years we have woefully underperformed, the previous 8 we mostly overperformed.

So don't worry.

Indeed. I think on the last table I saw which was the total points gained in the top flight, we came in at about 12th.

It'll come again. We've just got to be patient and back them through the hard times.