Does a defeat have to mean there was a lack of effort?

Whenever we lose, we seem to have people complaining about a lack of effort from the players.

Can it not just be that the opposition played better?

When I play football there are times when I don't put in 100% - and that is when it is an easy game and we are winning handsomely. It's easy to let your work rate drop in situations like that.

Whenever my team is taking a beating I work my balls off, but quite often end up being made to look like a tvvat - misplacing passes, losing out in tackles etc. But it doesn't mean there was a lack of effort.

Guest triple j

I'm not sure it was lack of effort, it was a massive loss in confidence making them look clueless and easily beaten.

I've definitely seen them put less effort in.

Whenever we lose, we seem to have people complaining about a lack of effort from the players.

Can it not just be that the opposition played better?

When I play football there are times when I don't put in 100% - and that is when it is an easy game and we are winning handsomely. It's easy to let your work rate drop in situations like that.

Whenever my team is taking a beating I work my balls off, but quite often end up being made to look like a tvvat - misplacing passes, losing out in tackles etc. But it doesn't mean there was a lack of effort.

Good post.

It's going to take more than effort to stay up. We need to improve on others things.

Guest jeffrey

lack of abillity,thats the main problem,followed by consistency.

esajas was very poor his movement was terrible

ipswich had tall players and long high balls are gonna get delt with all day by their defence

we should have got stuck in more and forced the issue

The unwillingness of any of our players to close down the scorer the ipswich goal was a clear lack of effort nothing to do with confidence or lack of

Hang on - that goal came from a counter attack launched by the quickest player on the pitch yesterday. Our players were getting back, they just weren't quick enough to catch him. Edwards also had an overlap option which meant Spurr couldn't commit to tackling him so he held his ground in the hope that someone could get back in time to help out. O'Connor was close to reaching him before Edwards shot. I didn't see a lack of effort, I saw a well executed counter attack with pace that caught us cold. If we had scored that goal it would have been good play - the opposition score it and it's because we're poo poo/lacking effort/lacking passion.......

I think with this current set of players lack of effort is sometimes a reason for us losing, without doubt. Did you see the WBA match? One of the most shambolic things I've ever seen, most of them gave up. Also you've got to take into account that this is the same side that could beat anyone on their day last season and at the start of this season. The same side that put 4 past Burnley twice. The Burnley that beat Man United this season.

I think a big difference this season to a couple years back where we survived on the last day against norwich is we dont have the ability or fight to get back into games when were losing.

I mean that season we nearly went down we were the best team in the division at coming from behind, i think we took 30points out of our 55 from losing positions, including great results like leicester away 1-0 down.....end up winning 3-1 and against norwhich last day 1-0 down and win 4-1. I just have no faith this season that when we concede first we will get back into it. Player determination is not good enough