Irvine On Radio Sheffield Now

And yet again we sign a player we can't pay for and use him to fill a space on the bench.

EVERY other team who are in need of a loan signing seem to be capable of playing them. We give them a few weeks for the negative atmosphere to sink in first.

Bang on.

F**ked me off rotten yesterday when the lad was on the bench.

Ridiculous.

Effort? We were second to almost every ball today.

Effort? Where was the discipline and shape that helped us scrape 5 wins together?

Does he really think they have talent? Crikey, they can't pass the ball 10 yards. Maybe he was being diplomatic.

It will be a miracle if AI keeps this spineless bunch in this league. We have some seriously tough games coming up - and we made Donny look like world beaters and Ipswich look half bad, when in reality Ipswich are sh!te.

We are in a fight for our lives. I seriously doubt the players are up for it. Get rid of as many as possible in the summer, no matter which league we are in.

We were crap at home against Plymouth yet we won because they were worse.

We were dire away at Barnsley and were being eaten alive (especially Purse) for 55 minutes, then they ran out of steam.

How we managed to win any games in recent weeks is beyond me. I've seen 5 out of the last 8 and we've not had a good game yet. OK, we've won some but the players still look like they are walking on egg-shells and can't manage 3 three passes to get out of trouble.

I can understand him not wanting to slaughter his players publicly..................but to say he couldnt fault the effort was to insult the intelligence of anyone who payed good money to watch that cr@p on Saturday.

As far as the summer overhaul goes i wish i could be more optimistic , but his transfer dealings at Preston dont fill me with much confidence.

I was unimpressed with his appointment because he comes across as a dour , pragmatic man and whenever i watched his Preston team play they just seemed really DULL.

Ironically its the mans pragmatism that may well save us this year , so you could say he was the right man for the short term.

Where i do worry is once we are hopefully safe , how is he going to mould the teams style of play?................................................if we continue playing in our current way i fear that unless we start grinding out wins a la Wilko style then the boring , functional football he seems to favour will see crowds dwindle even further.

The thing is, I dont believe that we "arent good enough"

I dont think our squad is one of the bottom 3 in the division. There are plenty of teams with very average squads that do ok, our team has just had a big confidence problem that has crept up on them all season, they win a few and it goes away, lose a couple and they revert to type.

Our squad on paper is undoubtedly stronger than last season's...yet were in a much worse position. As ive said since the beginning of the season, our players have never been able to handle expectation, the last time we made a few "key signings to push us forward" ie Owusu and Knight the press in pre season banged on about the playoffs being a must as our target. We then got relegated.

Its happening again, I feared that we may be like Norwich who floated about for a couple of seasons looking to build and then fell down a league, despite having some pretty decent players.

I dont know what the answer is, but I think the problem is purely psychological and the expectations of the club as a whole actually hinder us, we only do well when the pressure and expectation is off.

Because team spirit is important Glaser. Irvine + Squad vs the world is more likely to see us stay up than Irvine + the world vs squad.

But don't get me wrong, I was sat in Hillsborough today frustrated, angry and disillusioned. Occasionally I'd unleash my frustration and have a bit of a rant at the inept dross I was seeing before I left on the 85th minute when Ipswich got their disallowed goal. Richsheffweds pretty much summed up my feelings. Our squad lacks spine. Good performances in AI's honeymoon period and it's all rainbows and butterflies, but as soon as things aren't going great they fold. Suddenly nobody is willing to step up to the plate and take responsibility on the pitch and fight for the club we love.

Well said.

If Irvine was to suddenly start publicly slating them as individuals and as a team then its unlikely to get us anywhere. The morale is fragile as it is, its not going to improve anything by slating them and putting them under more pressure.

AI knows what a load of poo he is working with, his one aim is to make us finish in 21st position at worst - he's going to have to keep patting them on the back even when they are as poo as they were on Saturday. I've no doubts he makes them aware of their incompetence in the dressing room though.