Irvine On Radio Sheffield Now

Unquestionably, 2 of the worst defeats all season have happened in the last 2 games, at home.

What a mess we're in.

As bad as these last two performances have been, they were nowhere near as shambolic as the Reading home game, and even the WBA one (though they were awesome so will not delve too far into that).

I think Irvine had probably rollocked the players after that, hence it taking him so long to calm down and come talk to RS. However, it serves no one good in our situation for him to slag players off in public, as he's stuck with what he's got personnel wise. He even said it himself, there is no point running them into the ground and sapping any slight remains of confidence. He'll deal with that performance early next week, then move onto the next game and it'll be forgotten, as it should be in a relegation battle.

And yet again we sign a player we can't pay for and use him to fill a space on the bench.

EVERY other team who are in need of a loan signing seem to be capable of playing them. We give them a few weeks for the negative atmosphere to sink in first.

Its a hit and miss subject whether to chuck a defender straight in who only arrived at the Club a day before a game, and it can be debated for ever and ever, but I can safely say he will be starting next week, whether it is for Simek or Spurr I really don't care.

Its a hit and miss subject whether to chuck a defender straight in who only arrived at the Club a day before a game, and it can be debated for ever and ever, but I can safely say he will be starting next week, whether it is for Simek or Spurr I really don't care.

He'll play at Reading in place of Simek imho. Spurr will be encouraged to push up from the left. We'll play 4-3-3 and go for it. McAllister to come in to play alongside JOC and Potter who deserves to be dropped but won't be. Gray and Esajas dropped to the bench. Tudgay, Varney and Clarke up front with Tudgay dropping back to help midfield when required.

so why not bring him in next week and give him a few days training etc. If he wasn't ready to play today why have him on the bench?

He'll play at Reading in place of Simek imho. Spurr will be encouraged to push up from the left. We'll play 4-3-3 and go for it. McAllister to come in to play alongside JOC and Potter who deserves to be dropped but won't be. Gray and Esajas dropped to the bench. Tudgay, Varney and Clarke up front with Tudgay dropping back to help midfield when required.

I can see that happening. Spurr had obviously been told to try and get forward more, as he was attempting more forward runs and taking the ball, I actually thought at one point in the first half he was playing left midfield and Gray had dropped to full back. It may perhaps be a 4-5-1 situation though, with Varney and Tudgay off Clarke who we use as the target man. I'd go with that anyway.

love his enthusiasm etc but if we've got to play him I've banging on about spurr being shoved forward out of harms way for 2 seasons now even when some people said he was good never has been a defender imo

so why not bring him in next week and give him a few days training etc. If he wasn't ready to play today why have him on the bench?

I don't want to open up this debate too much because I think it detracts from the thread a bit, but my opinion is that he was deemed not ready to play as he had only had one session, and was on the bench in case of emergency (we don't have any more fit defenders do we?).

Personally I would have played him because both full backs are liabilites at the minute, but my point was you can understand why Irvine didn't chuck him straight in. And why wait until next week, get him in ASAP and get him clued up as to how Irvine wants him to operate.

I don't want to open up this debate too much because I think it detracts from the thread a bit, but my opinion is that he was deemed not ready to play as he had only had one session, and was on the bench in case of emergency (we don't have any more fit defenders do we?).

Personally I would have played him because both full backs are liabilites at the minute, but my point was you can understand why Irvine didn't chuck him straight in. And why wait until next week, get him in ASAP and get him clued up as to how Irvine wants him to operate.

I agree

Things need a lift, if he'd good enough then put him in. AI know's what the back four are capable of so if he can improve our defence, then the sooner the better

Guest mickeybb

Listening to this and "hearing between the lines" I got the impression that AI is only now realising the true paucity of talent at his disposal, and was being "diplomatic"...then again im a pig ;)

Listening to this and "hearing between the lines" I got the impression that AI is only now realising the true paucity of talent at his disposal, and was being "diplomatic"...then again im a pig ;)

I can't for one minute imagine that Irvine didn't know what he was letting himself in for. Everyone knows we've been poo this season.

While you're on, is it a prerequisite that you must be called Kyle before you can play for the Blades or is this just a popular name where you come from?

Guest mickeybb

I can't for one minute imagine that Irvine didn't know what he was letting himself in for. Everyone knows we've been poo this season.

While you're on, is it a prerequisite that you must be called Kyle before you can play for the Blades or is this just a popular name where you come from?

erm it could well be a pre-requisite....Only KyleI know is Lochalsh but he aint a footballer...

AI said " I don't really know the lads and what they are capable of yet"....That sounds a bit like a coded "oh lord! what am I to do?" to me....

erm it could well be a pre-requisite....Only KyleI know is Lochalsh but he aint a footballer...

AI said " I don't really know the lads and what they are capable of yet"....That sounds a bit like a coded "oh lord! what am I to do?" to me....

If he would care to come and sit with me i will point out what they are not capable off .

Jesus Christ how can he say he cant fault the players effort, that was one of the worse performances i have ever seen. Heard one women with 2 young kids talking to someone on the way out of the ground saying "this was our first ever game and it will also be the last", dont blame them one bit. Pathetic Wednesday.

I think its fairly well recognised that one of the major things we could ALL fault today was the effort

nige not saying you specifically but what do you want him to do: publicly fry the barstewards?

He said alongside that RS comment that he could destroy a few but where would it get him?

- I agree torch the sods in private but public blackspot type rants only work once or twice then where does he go with a limited in every way squad he admits he doesn't know which buttons to press .

I feel for the guy where were all these critics during the 5 wins - unless you can supply the guy with fresh faces you have to stick with his way of getting the squad to play.

Edited by steelowl

Jesus Christ how can he say he cant fault the players effort, that was one of the worse performances i have ever seen. Heard one women with 2 young kids talking to someone on the way out of the ground saying "this was our first ever game and it will also be the last", dont blame them one bit. Pathetic Wednesday.

I think thats a bit poor, but in all fairness you could not blame folk for thinking that. It was dire in every sence & makes a mockery of what the chairman is trying to get accross. Spend your hard earned cash, buy into the dream if you want the club to move forward, whilst the 11 out there continue to serve up poo . It ain't gonna happen