One of the worst performances

Guest WhereallWednesday...

What he said basically.

If one of those early chances had gone it would have been a completly different game. Only Soares, Gray and Simek had massively bad games, and that was mainly due to their fittness levels and generally not keeping up with play. We know we are a massive confidence team, to see a Donny side passing it around you like that must be soul destroying for the players. The game became an increasingly hard uphill struggle with our players just not up to it. Had we scored early, had a fitter (ie not still trying to get match fit) team or played with 5 in midfield, it could have been very different.

I'm not worried by the result or performance, we should still be good enough to get out of this. The key word there being "should"

Gray i'm sorry to say is about 3 years past it, soares to me hasn't had e decent game yet, a poor signing, we've no pace on the flanks at all and need JJ back quickly, Donny made us look like a pub side at times, we defo need to get some DECENT loan player's cause the squad we've got right now are gonna struggle to keep us up. :blink:

Guest mikeglossopowl

We were dreadful last night, and there can be very few positives taken from that game. The way we stood off them I thought we were playing the 1970 Brazil team not Donny!

Soares needs a rest possibly with Gray & Tudgay.

My M of M was Purse. It pains me to say it as well.

The way we stood off them I thought we were playing the 1970 Brazil team not Donny!

This is what I don't quite get with this team.

You would have thought it would have dawned on these players individually and as a unit that when we back off and fail to close players down, we get punished.

When we work hard and close players down to stop them playing, we generally do much better and get results.

To me it seems pretty simple, so why as fit professionals can't they always show the same desire and work ethic?

Obviously we can't win every game and we have to accept that some teams will have the guile and skill to overcome being closed down - but most of the teams I have seen in the Championship struggle against hard working committed teams.

So, why do we seem to go to sleep in too many games and let other teams dictate the game for long spells?

It has to be attitude - similar to why certain teams always score late goals and we rarely do.

This is what I don't quite get with this team.

You would have thought it would have dawned on these players individually and as a unit that when we back off and fail to close players down, we get punished.

When we work hard and close players down to stop them playing, we generally do much better and get results.

To me it seems pretty simple, so why as fit professionals can't they always show the same desire and work ethic?

Obviously we can't win every game and we have to accept that some teams will have the guile and skill to overcome being closed down - but most of the teams I have seen in the Championship struggle against hard working committed teams.

So, why do we seem to go to sleep in too many games and let other teams dictate the game for long spells?

It has to be attitude - similar to why certain teams always score late goals and we rarely do.

You're right. Plus last night we should have played 5 in midfield. That was a tactical mistake because with one spare man Donny had all day on the ball which was our downfall, particularly as all 4 midfielders under performed as well. That was needed to take Donny out of their comfort zone.

To survive we will definately have to out battle teams and pick up scrappy draws and one goal victories because we will not be playing any teams off the park with this personnel.

Why the players have such poor attitudes is difficult to understand though.

Well after nearly 24 hours to stew on it, I have decided that for me there are some positives from last night..

- We will not play as poorly as that again. It just isn't possible. That perfect storm of bad luck, poor finishing, tactical niaviety, poor attitude and an opposition on top form will never happen again.

- AI does not seem the kind of manager to shrug his shoulders as treat it as a 'blip'. I can imagine a 'video nasty' being shown over and over again to a captive audience in the next few days. I think a few starters from last night may be bench warming on saturday.

- We wont take anything for granted now. As fans maybe we thought the hard work had been done, hell some of us had the calculators out and were looking at the play offs. Did the players feel this as well? Reality has bitten.

So on to saturday, and as some of the more level headed ( not me!) members of this site have posted, it's a new game and another 6 pointer.

UTO's !!

Guest DonnyRover

Guys don't worry you lot will be fine this season because there are far worse teams then yourself in the bottom half and if you can play like you started last night for the whole 90 minutes you will have no worries. You have a great manager in AI and given time will turn you around and have you playing nice football like he did with PNE.

For those saying "we hit the post twice and if we had scored it would have been different" well how do you know? Football is full of if's and but's, we have had plenty of moments like that this season too when luck has been against us and we didn't get points (take hayter hitting the bar against reading recently on the sky match that would have levelled the scores when we ended up losing 2-1).

I thought we played well last night but not as well as we did against Forest on Saturday, and yes we do play like that most matches or at least try too. The times we have struggled is when teams play a high defensive line and pack the midfiled so it's compressed and we don't get as much time and space, having said that we are starting to negate this and pick up points playing ugly when needed like at leicester the previous week.

All the best for the rest of the season and i'm looking forward to our matches against you in 2011/12.

Guys don't worry you lot will be fine this season because there are far worse teams then yourself in the bottom half and if you can play like you started last night for the whole 90 minutes you will have no worries. You have a great manager in AI and given time will turn you around and have you playing nice football like he did with PNE.

For those saying "we hit the post twice and if we had scored it would have been different" well how do you know? Football is full of if's and but's, we have had plenty of moments like that this season too when luck has been against us and we didn't get points (take hayter hitting the bar against reading recently on the sky match that would have levelled the scores when we ended up losing 2-1).

I thought we played well last night but not as well as we did against Forest on Saturday, and yes we do play like that most matches or at least try too. The times we have struggled is when teams play a high defensive line and pack the midfiled so it's compressed and we don't get as much time and space, having said that we are starting to negate this and pick up points playing ugly when needed like at leicester the previous week.

All the best for the rest of the season and i'm looking forward to our matches against you in 2011/12.

Well if we had have scored it would have been different because 1 is different to 0, bit obvious really.

Donny played to their strengths pure and simple. No high hoof and hopes out of defence (We won everything in the air), but neat passing that seemed to give them a 3 on 2 whenever they were in possession. Purse and Grant were solid but those two apart, the remainder were well below par. Soarse in particular seemed well off the pace and disinclined to get stuck in.

I had this as a banker 3 points, but after following Wednesday for over 40 years, I know that there is a banana skin just around the corner and this game was one of those.

A return to winning ways on Saturday against Ipswich is achievable and a win the following week at Reading equally so. Last night was a below par performance and a set back against an improving team that are now out of the relegation dogfight for the time being. An improved performance on Saturday and a glorious win will put the Donny game into context.

On the other hand a repeat performance may be a cause for concern.

Guest triple j

A patronising pat on the head from a Donny Rovers fan, oh my days, what have we become? :ohmy::biggrin:

They we're fitter and sharper than us to a man. Their full backs in particular were light years ahead of ours, and they way the midfield rotated meant our 4 didn't have a clue what was going on. It reminded me of when Sturrock brought Plymouth here and spanked us 4-0.

I have to say, Burnley have just basically chosen between Laws and O'Driscoll and based on last night performance I think they might have chosen the wrong man.

Geuss we shouldn't be shocked.

Sean O'Dreary teams have a knack of dicking all over us at Hillsborough.

Remember Bournemouth givings us a masterclass a few seasons back.

Not bad for a bloke who sounds like he is on dope.

Edited by SiJ

As much as I think Alan has done a sterling job, I have to agree with this in part

We have played 3 decent sides. Forest, Scunny and Donny

The rest were very poor to be honest.

What results have we got in the games where we have been tested ?

And how many goals have we scored in the 3 games where we got a test ?

Blackpool ?

Geuss we shouldn't be shocked.

Sean O'Dreary teams have a knack of dicking all over us at Hillsborough.

Remember Bournemouth givings us a masterclass a few seasons back.

Not bad for a bloke who sounds like he is on dope.

They did . Looked like Real Madrid not Bournmouth .

I've said it for a few weeks now; the recent wins were against gash teams, and as soon as we come up against a decent side we got completly outplayed. This relegation fight will go right to the wire. Tonight was awful, and we are desperate for some legs and power in midfield, and someone who can get down the flanks and cross a ball. Soares thinks he's in the Champions League, and i'm afraid Frank Simek has gone. Potter and O'Conner looked like old men.

Do you even remember the Forest game? We were far from outplayed in that match, so get in and lighten up. Doesn't help starting to sulk with 14 matches left, I'm hopeful and confident we'll do what we need against Ipswich and Reading in the next matches, well at least Ipswich.