One of the worst performances

Midfield couldn't cope, no passion in the middle, no outlet on the wings. Full backs exposed time and time again and both had shockers.

No direct attacking threat.. Tudgay / Varney lots of huff and puff but to no avail.. we don't possess a serious attacking threat. We miss JJ as our direct outlet. (never thought I'd say that !) which says alot for the squad.

The whole team was not with it, with the exception of a solid performance by Purse. We should bought the subs on around 50mins mark..

I think a shake up should happen some players look like they think they are untouchable. Drop Soares / Potter / Tudgay / Simek- bring in Boden / Macallister / Clarke / Hinds..

Yet the man who gets defended to the hilt, misses an absolute sitter, to make it one nil.

He has now scored in one of his last 17 matches.

Brilliant

PS: We made them look like Barcelona tonight

they have been struggling until recently, so obviously there are ways to play against them, or they would be top of the league

we got it tactically wrong last night.everybody knows how they play (even laws got it right at their place!),we needed 5 in midfield to combat their 5- potter and o'connor were swamped. sores should have played in the middle (or macallister) with varney as the wide right/link up forward player.we would have at least competed then instead of letting them walk through us !!

we got it tactically wrong last night.everybody knows how they play (even laws got it right at their place!),we needed 5 in midfield to combat their 5- potter and o'connor were swamped. sores should have played in the middle (or macallister) with varney as the wide right/link up forward player.we would have at least competed then instead of letting them walk through us !!

God theres some numpties on this board.............

We got is SO WRONG that if it wasn't for O'suillivan making some OUSTANTDING saves we could have had three goals.....

Tudders crappy finishing and some other EXECELLENT saves.

Yes we were unlucky at times tonight. Donny had the rub of the green we didn't.

No need to go into meltdown !

Edited by Dark$ide

Bang on the money. We gave them so much respect it was untrue. The time & space we offered must have felt like they were having a light & zero contact training session. Knowing how theyplay personally speaking I would have let each one of them know they were in a game & clattered them for the 1st couple of tackles all over the park. We stood off them & allowed them to play. Not acceptable that.

i agree, we never hit em and just stood off em like puffs. personally i would have put macca on for potter in the second half, put soares in the middle and dropped tudgay wide right. stringy is right that away from home macca and joc stopped them playing the football they like and although we were in the middle of that poor run we were a bit unfortunate to lose

donny are a decent side but if you play them correct and get stuck in they can be beaten - just look where they are in the table

After a night of no sleep with the game going over in my mind, I have to say I was very disappointed with AI and the staff, it was clear at 30 mins what was happening out there. Our shape needed to change and it never did, we criticised Laws for not changing tactics and AI did the same, first black mark for me, but still think he is the best man for the job.

3-5-1-1 i think would have stopped them (Beevers, Soars (or potter) and Varney off, replaced by Macca, Esajas, clarke with esajas as the spare man in the hole, tudgay right midfield) with sharpe on his own upfront we could have coped. IMO

Move on, massive match on Saturday

i've seen it too many times this season

the opposition work harder, pass the ball smarter and quicker, we stand off and look at each other

bish bosh we're two nil down

the only half decent tackle i can recall is varneys on the half way line when tuds was injured, why oh why can't we mark tight and win our personal battles

our mindset and tactics were all wrong, sort it mr irvine please

very worrying

We should have been 2 up before they scored. Once again we rue missed chances. Their goals-1 a fluke that could easily have hit Tango and the other a spozzy own goal we should have cleared 10 touches before sharp had a chance to play it in. Unfortunately, the 2nd came when we were looking like we could nick one and it just destroyed us.

Having said that, we let them play and get into their stride well before they scored.

God theres some numpties on this board.............

We got is SO WRONG that if it wasn't for O'suillivan making some OUSTANTDING saves we could have had three goals.....

Tudders crappy finishing and some other EXECELLENT saves.

Yes we were unlucky at times tonight. Donny had the rub of the green we didn't.

No need to go into meltdown !

Agree with all you say BUT we set up with the wrong shape in the first place imho giving them too much space and time to 'play'

It's not rocket science combatting the way Doncaster play, we know they are a passing team so you have to stop them knocking it about.

The way to do this is to mark man to man, keeping close, and closing down the space they found themselves in time and time again last night.

You don't sit back, give them space to pass into, and admire their passing skills.

We got it completely wrong last night.

^^^^^^^

Yes we were outplayed, that's for sure. However, the stats show we had plenty of chances. I agree with another commenter in that if those early chances had gone in, everyone would be raving on here. We closed them down really well in the early stages. It's a pity we couldn't maintain it.

I thought our defence was pretty good as were our forwards. We lost it in midfield last night.

Potter and O'conner struggled, Gray was poor and Soares didn't turn up.

The guy sat in front of me though was an idiot. He commented that we were beaten by a better manager....testicles!

O'Driscoll has been there a few seasons now. He's nurtured his team well.

Our manager has been here how long??

I'm sure he's the man for the job. He just needs time, some monetary input and our continued excellent support.

UP THE OWLS.

Very poor last night, we lost to a much better, more composed, and much more skillful team. The only player in my opinion to come out of the game with any credit was Purse. Its going to be one hell of a long and painful remainder of the season. Would be nice if we could bring in a couple of decent quality loan players, but guess im just dreaming.

To add to my earlier post.

There were times when Donny had a throw in when they were able to throw the ball to an unmarked man. How does this happen? They've got one man off the pitch throwing the ball. That means we should have a man on each of theirs and a spare man.

There were far too many times when Soares was marking thin air. It was this that got him subbed in my opinion, not his ineptness going forward or his impression of a chocolate fireguard

Completely unaccaptable performance tonight both in quality and attitude

We cannot put in performances like that in such important games, it absolutely stinks.

The players looked like they had done nothing all week , we have gone backwards in terms of organisation and commitment.

Tonight was as bad as anything I have seen this season at home, worse than any Laws team.

The rammifications regarding tonight maybe wide reaching - the casual supporters were out tonight; they wont go again after that.

Next time Lee Strafford thinks about coming on here and gobbing off about fans not buying into his plan for Wednesday, he wants to stop himself and watch a DVD of tonights performance and ask himself can he really expect people to shell out good money to watch uninterested players who certainly are not on board with a new era for the club.

You must not say such things on Owlstalk haven't you learned anything?

:ph34r:

Bang on the money. We gave them so much respect it was untrue. The time & space we offered must have felt like they were having a light & zero contact training session. Knowing how theyplay personally speaking I would have let each one of them know they were in a game & clattered them for the 1st couple of tackles all over the park. We stood off them & allowed them to play. Not acceptable that.

Agree. Looks like the tactics were to keep our shape behind the ball, let them have it and play 'harmlessly' in front of us. Big mistake in my opinion. It just conceded the initiative to them and played to their strengths. We should have had much more pressure on the ball and got in amongst them. We made them look a lot better than they are. In truth it was a comfortable away win for them and given that the points were massively important it was a major disappointment. Either Irvine got it wrong or the players underperformed.

Hope we can lift it on Saturday because we deserved nothing yesterday.

Bannofan has a point about the casual fans.

Imagine choosing that game tonight, your first under Irvine, exactly the position my dad was in.

YOu turn up, having been told the days of LAws are long gone. Yes it might be a one off, but casual fans judge whether to come again any time soon on that one match.

My dad was deciding today whether I was to get him the same seat for Saturday. Because of the lack of effort / gameplan / quality, he has decided not too.

Surely this will happen to a lot of fans, so sometimes, just saying "get behind the team" yet giving no end product once we do is not good enough

Again, I hope it was just a one off, but sometimes that is all the scope people get as to whether they buy / come again.

We will be one minus on Saturday becasue of yesterday, and I am sure my old man is not the only casual who has decided to now do something else on Saturday.

Guest Blue&WhiteBen

we just had a bad day and got outplayed, bravo to donny.

just need to put it behind us at the weekend and get back to winning ways

Guest superowl58

Tudgay is his own worst enemy. He's our best centre forward, best tackler in midfield and best defender at set pieces. The bloke is everywhere, and it won't be long before he's crossing the ball into the box for himself. We are carrying far too many players, average players at that. If we 11 Tudgays, both in terms of attitude and ability, we'd be well out of this relegation battle.

Tudgay is VASTLY overrated.

We should have got rid in the summer when Burnley come knocking. £2.5m for a player who scores in bursts and performes for half a season, if that.

Surely if your'e paying 2.5 for a player you expect him to have some sort of outstanding attribute, Tudgay is a decent chamipionship when he has work rate. When he hasnt got the work rate hes average at best as his technical ability is actually quite poor.

Yes we were outplayed, that's for sure. However, the stats show we had plenty of chances. I agree with another commenter in that if those early chances had gone in, everyone would be raving on here. We closed them down really well in the early stages. It's a pity we couldn't maintain it.

I thought our defence was pretty good as were our forwards. We lost it in midfield last night.

Potter and O'conner struggled, Gray was poor and Soares didn't turn up.

The guy sat in front of me though was an idiot. He commented that we were beaten by a better manager....testicles!

O'Driscoll has been there a few seasons now. He's nurtured his team well.

Our manager has been here how long??

I'm sure he's the man for the job. He just needs time, some monetary input and our continued excellent support.

UP THE OWLS.

What he said basically.

If one of those early chances had gone it would have been a completly different game. Only Soares, Gray and Simek had massively bad games, and that was mainly due to their fittness levels and generally not keeping up with play. We know we are a massive confidence team, to see a Donny side passing it around you like that must be soul destroying for the players. The game became an increasingly hard uphill struggle with our players just not up to it. Had we scored early, had a fitter (ie not still trying to get match fit) team or played with 5 in midfield, it could have been very different.

I'm not worried by the result or performance, we should still be good enough to get out of this. The key word there being "should"