Whats changed

Guest chris_owl

Guest columnist

we are much better now without the ball. we keep our shape, particularly in midfield.

in my opinion this is in no small part to the irvine's confidence in soares and the subsequent impact he has had on the team. yes, he looks like he's playing within himself at times, but his positioning is excellent. him playing has also allowed potter to blossom. there should be even more to come from soares.

jj is one of my favourite players but continually including him in a four man midfield made it weak and teams dominated us.

it will be interesting to see how irvine utilises him when he's fit as he is still probably one of our most dangerous players. long term we may see jj playing only down the middle in an attacking role. i can't see irvine sacrificing the shape of the team to fit him in on the right though - and i don't think he should.

the defence have also benefited from the organised midfield. saying that, purse is still difficult to watch, although he never stops and made some important tackles last night.

We look so much more organised now. Teams no longer walk through our defence (ala Watford for example). Purse is actually starting to llok the player we thought we were getting.

AI talks sense (not testicles). Even I understand his subs, and tactically is miles ahead of old Bri.

We now play long ball football. Aside from a period in the very late 80's and early 90's we have pretty much been a long ball team throughout our recent history. Reverting to our dull, aimless, hoof ball, high energy and up at at em style has turned our season round. It is the right thing to do to get us out of trouble.

I don't know how involved BL was in training ground stuff but we all know AI manages from the front line and NOT from the office.

At our level, with the money we have available for coaching staff, it's essential that we have a manager who works direct with the players and lets them know exactly what he wants and how.

Full credit to BL... he had a good ride early doors and then let things get away from him ( Paul Sturrock did the same). Lets hope AI can build on the stronger footing we have now and take us to the next level.

We now play long ball football. Aside from a period in the very late 80's and early 90's we have pretty much been a long ball team throughout our recent history. Reverting to our dull, aimless, hoof ball, high energy and up at at em style has turned our season round. It is the right thing to do to get us out of trouble.

Given the nature of the two goals we scored last night that is harsh. We are not playing long ball we are playing an effective high tempo game , very well organised and will get more so, no mucking about at the back just get rid of it, but when we get the ball in the right areas we still try and play.

Irvine is a very good coach who organises the team and individuals are now a lot more aware of what they need to do.

Also it is pretty apparent he is far from a soft touch and I think there is that bit of fear (respect) from the players which has to be good.