Whats changed

Guest chris_owl

Guest chris_owl

ok, i know its probably been discussed before, but i don't come on here often.

So, with the same players, AI has managed to win 5 out of his first 7. And we should have got something at forest.

Is it simply the new managers effect? is it that he's just making the players work harder?

And if it is just a case of maing the players work harder, we the hell wasn't laws doing that?

Either way AI is a god in my opinion at the moment and well done LS on making the decision. If we turn into Everton i will be very happy. Always thought they were good club.

Up the owls.

I think we have just got back to basics. I love Irvines interviews, talks sense all the time.

I'm so happy at the minute. It puts into perspective how bad the last 6 months with BL were.

I respect BL and appreciate what he did for us. I think it is clear though that by the time he left he had lost the plot.

Organisation...simples

Gets players working when we havent got the ball.

Commands his technical area for 90mins. Never misses the start of each half. Attention to detail.

Subs warming up at half time with a coach, rather than 'havin a kick about'.

We arent out of danger by any means but he has made a terrific start.

The future looks promising.

fresh look at things from a new angle. If you've been dealing with the same players for a number of years, you can easily get into a situation where you can't see the wood for the trees. Where you're trying to fix something minor for example, without seeing the elephant in the room that's stopping you do anything.

Guest chezzyowl

Basics basics basics thats all it is, defend better, make runs from mid field, support each other and have confidence = winning formula

fresh look at things from a new angle. If you've been dealing with the same players for a number of years, you can easily get into a situation where you can't see the wood for the trees. Where you're trying to fix something minor for example, without seeing the elephant in the room that's stopping you do anything.

I agree with this. I think Brian got his knickers in a twist in the end, but I still have fond memories of his time with us (this season excluded)!

The team have been working hard by the looks on keeping thier shape.

People are not now being dragged out of position.

When you look at the lack of saves Grant is having to make,the team are not been over run down the middle.

As people have commented,we'v gone back to basics and Irvine is concentrating on getting it right at the back first.

For me Laws completely lost the plot and over complicated the game tactically for players. Certain people were guarenteed a place in the side despite consistantly poor form. Many players didnt like BL and his methods, and his treatment of some young players was abysmal imo.

AI has gone back to basics, we defend as a unit and work more without the ball. Players like JOC actually look like good players under AI. They clearly respect him and are prepared to work for him. AI has history of being a developer of young talent - i think the improvement in Beevers form has been a major reason in our improved form and this is down the AI.

Love AI's style of management. He seems so passionate, always giving his players instructions and having a go at them when needed. Was watching him a lot last night and another thing i liked was that everytime one of our players gave the ball away or made a mistake he would look at his watch and write it down on his notepad. Great attention to detail.

new manager syndrome

I suspect it was more to do with 'old manager syndrome'. After a year and a quarter of consistently middle of the table form, our alarming slump at the end of 2009 and subsequent recovery under Irvine clearly demonstrates that all was not well in the camp at the end of Laws' tenure (as the chairman himself alluded to in his new year message).

Guest bigblue

new manager syndrome

Kop out that. Sorry, I'm not having a go or owt. I just don't think you can just say that. All the other managers that exchanged at roughly the same time have set off pretty badly.

For me it's more about immediately stamping his authority, setting out clear instructions and following them up with reaffirming actions - i.e. shouting when needed, praising when needed. It basically boils down to good solid man-management.

Keep it up Mr I!

Love AI's style of management. He seems so passionate, always giving his players instructions and having a go at them when needed. Was watching him a lot last night and another thing i liked was that everytime one of our players gave the ball away or made a mistake he would look at his watch and write it down on his notepad. Great attention to detail.

Bet his notepad was pretty full by the end of the game.

I think we have just got back to basics. I love Irvines interviews, talks sense all the time.

I'm so happy at the minute. It puts into perspective how bad the last 6 months with BL were.

I respect BL and appreciate what he did for us. I think it is clear though that by the time he left he had lost the plot.

Agree. Did you see BL on SSN last night? Same platitudes we'd grown accustomed to over many months.

AI comes across very, very well - no double-speak, platitudes or cliches - intelligent/articulate, unpretentious, and clearly a no-messing kind of guy. Exactly what we - any - team needs.