Tudgay

Guest triple j

Unless they disagree with you, then they are bellends :cool:

Correct.

(anyone who thought we passed it well at Forest or first half against Blackpool is a total bellend :ph34r: )

What's wrong with him at the moment?

Doesn't seem interested, looks lazy and lethargic. Expect a lot more from him to be honest.

Yet he scored twice against Peterborough and set two up for Varney against Plymouth, so must be doing something right that I'm not noticing.

I hd the same feelings at half time yesterday, so made a point of watching him more closely in the second. I think he's being asked to play more defensively. In the second half he covered sooo much ground, but was far deeper. Many times he was behind Potter and o'Connor on the edge of our box - and I'm not talking about defending set pieces.

It wasn't a fantastic attacking performance from him last night but because Blackpool played 5 across midfield he had to be the one to drop back. So when you see Varney charging around up top it looks more impressive but I really think Tudgay earned his crust last night. It also then made sense that tactically it was Varney who made way for Clarke, cos Tuggy was the one of the front 2 who had all the defensive duties.

I thought the way the whole team pressed last night was magnificent.

I think in all honesty this his standard of play generally. The first season we had him was similar to this, in terms of endeavour and goal return.

Last season was a blinder on his behalf and probably not his normal levels of performance.

He is not a natural striker, but is a good link up player, and his defensive attributes are probably greater than any other forward player in this league.

My only worry is that with Tudgay / Varney we have to very similar players together up front, fast, terrier like etc and both will score in sporadic patches. What we do need and have needed for some time is a player to act as a partner for these two, a 6 yard striker who will sit in there and put in the challenges to goal.. many times we never quite look dangerous enough in the position after much hard work in build ups. We have tried with Sodje / Clark but they are not the answer, somebody like (and I know we can't afford them) - Lambert / Parkin / Henderson type player in this team would thrive.

I think in all honesty this his standard of play generally. The first season we had him was similar to this, in terms of endeavour and goal return.

Last season was a blinder on his behalf and probably not his normal levels of performance.

He is not a natural striker, but is a good link up player, and his defensive attributes are probably greater than any other forward player in this league.

My only worry is that with Tudgay / Varney we have to very similar players together up front, fast, terrier like etc and both will score in sporadic patches. What we do need and have needed for some time is a player to act as a partner for these two, a 6 yard striker who will sit in there and put in the challenges to goal.. many times we never quite look dangerous enough in the position after much hard work in build ups. We have tried with Sodje / Clark but they are not the answer, somebody like (and I know we can't afford them) - Lambert / Parkin / Henderson type player in this team would thrive.

what about someone with genuine pace

jj has proved how important an asset the ability to burn off defenders can be

I hd the same feelings at half time yesterday, so made a point of watching him more closely in the second. I think he's being asked to play more defensively. In the second half he covered sooo much ground, but was far deeper. Many times he was behind Potter and o'Connor on the edge of our box - and I'm not talking about defending set pieces.

It wasn't a fantastic attacking performance from him last night but because Blackpool played 5 across midfield he had to be the one to drop back. So when you see Varney charging around up top it looks more impressive but I really think Tudgay earned his crust last night. It also then made sense that tactically it was Varney who made way for Clarke, cos Tuggy was the one of the front 2 who had all the defensive duties.

Absolutely spot on.

what about someone with genuine pace

jj has proved how important an asset the ability to burn off defenders can be

I agree, pace is great, but the end product is not so great with JJ.. I think JJ is ideally an impact player and Irvine should use this as he see fit.

I'd rather see JJ on the right wing or floating around behind the front two. Not necessarily from the start of the match though.

Explains a lot of what I was missing.

There were times when he fought back and made some great challenges, or was just another man behind the ball making it hard for Blackpool. Also with Blackpool playing five across the middle, Tudgay's defensive/dropping back duties were massively important.

I guess the fans (evidently like me), see his poor touches and misplaced passes, as well as his tiresome runs whilst missing the all too important grafting and thankless tasks.

Guest tazz070299

He looked knackered pretty early on in the match and as he normally works hard during the match, particularly in the last two or three, perhaps he is due for a rest? I know others work just as hard, but Tudgay takes a hell of a lot of knocks from the opposition defence as well. If only we had a good alternative then a spell on the bench may help.

tazz

his workrate is first class and the number of times he pops up at crucial times when defending is amazing

but.................his ball retention requires some serious work

just an opinion of how we can improve even further

I think this season has been something of an anti-climax for him after the will he go to Burnley? - will he stay? saga of the summer. Without playing particularly well he had a goodish start to the season goalscoring wise then he hit the proverbial brick wall between Oct-Dec just like the whole team did. Even though the goals are still not flowing I think over the past month he's starting to really put a shift in for the team and I think his performance last night was typical of the performances he's put in since AI took charge. I think the goals will flow for him once again in due course but at the moment it's very much horses for courses in our current predicament and the chasing, harrying and general hard work that Tudgay and Varney are putting in upfront are I feel crucial to us getting more wins on the board and hopefully achieveing our objective of staying up.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

Most will judge purely on his input from an attacking poitnt of view but i think you've cracked it with that assessment from last night....

The whole team defended brilliantly last night.

Game plan was obviously played to a tee.

If you say so

You dont win championship player of the season for being sh!te.

Iv said before id sell him for a good offer, but only to fund more signings. One of our best signings in a long while, and ill never understand why people insist on slating or putting down our players.