Football Heaven

Am I the only one who thinks that despite the obvious humour benefit of Seth calling the pigs moronic, that it was incredibly unprofessional from a public service broadcaster? These guys wages are paid by us, the taxpayer and license fee payer and yet over the past few months (years even) they've shown nothing but contempt for anyone who doesn't argue to maintain the status quo or whoever dares to question their integrity.

The whole point of FH I thought was to air opinions, grievances, to give people a chance to rant and rave on the radio rather than taking it out on each other after the match. To me Radio Sheffield almost seem to have been running scared of the football club owners and managers in Sheffield in the past few years, not daring to really question or probe the Dave Allen when he was at Hillsborough and now doing everything to justify Blackwell and McCabe's tenure. The comments after Sheffield United "lost" the World Cup bid - urging there to be a review of the result, and trying to force a situation where the bid was shared - were shamefully biased and indicate a level of partisanship we really shouldn't expect from a public service broadcaster. Coupled with the arrogance and abuse of authority, amply demonstrated by cutting off or fading out callers who they don't agree with, or simply shouting over the top of them - and last night calling them morons - shows a set of reporters who have forgotten what their remit at the BBC (and their duty to broadcasting more generally) is.

It was even more compounded for me by the disgraceful attempt to justify their position no matter what, Seth Bennett and Paul Walker trying to big up their actions as them expressing their opinions. Funny how everyone else is required to come on air and justify their opinions with reason and rationale, yet they singularly failed to do that. Whenever they were challenged (as Seth was in the 10pm slot) they responded like a pair of angst teenage schoolboys in a playground who were dying to have a scrap but just daren't.

As football fans across the region we really shouldn't be laughing at the ineptness of Radio Sheffield's broadcasters last night. We really ought to be challenging it a little more because although last night it was the Blades that got some stick, soon enough the boot will be on the other foot.

Guest AnotherOwl

Am I the only one who thinks that despite the obvious humour benefit of Seth calling the pigs moronic, that it was incredibly unprofessional from a public service broadcaster? These guys wages are paid by us, the taxpayer and license fee payer and yet over the past few months (years even) they've shown nothing but contempt for anyone who doesn't argue to maintain the status quo or whoever dares to question their integrity.

The whole point of FH I thought was to air opinions, grievances, to give people a chance to rant and rave on the radio rather than taking it out on each other after the match. To me Radio Sheffield almost seem to have been running scared of the football club owners and managers in Sheffield in the past few years, not daring to really question or probe the Dave Allen when he was at Hillsborough and now doing everything to justify Blackwell and McCabe's tenure. The comments after Sheffield United "lost" the World Cup bid - urging there to be a review of the result, and trying to force a situation where the bid was shared - were shamefully biased and indicate a level of partisanship we really shouldn't expect from a public service broadcaster. Coupled with the arrogance and abuse of authority, amply demonstrated by cutting off or fading out callers who they don't agree with, or simply shouting over the top of them - and last night calling them morons - shows a set of reporters who have forgotten what their remit at the BBC (and their duty to broadcasting more generally) is.

It was even more compounded for me by the disgraceful attempt to justify their position no matter what, Seth Bennett and Paul Walker trying to big up their actions as them expressing their opinions. Funny how everyone else is required to come on air and justify their opinions with reason and rationale, yet they singularly failed to do that. Whenever they were challenged (as Seth was in the 10pm slot) they responded like a pair of angst teenage schoolboys in a playground who were dying to have a scrap but just daren't.

As football fans across the region we really shouldn't be laughing at the ineptness of Radio Sheffield's broadcasters last night. We really ought to be challenging it a little more because although last night it was the Blades that got some stick, soon enough the boot will be on the other foot.

Great post, I absolutely agree. I am just listening to it now on iPlayer. I just heard the moment one of them told an oinker to 'shut up!' Slightly amusing from our point of view right now maybe, but as you say, soon enough the boot will be on the other foot. (Although I hope not.)

Someone at the BBC, locally or nationally needs to sort this out. Football heaven is a great platform for South Yorkshire football. But being rude, condescending and worst of all biased, is totally unacceptable.

Guest oliver666

Great post, I absolutely agree. I am just listening to it now on iPlayer. I just heard the moment one of them told an oinker to 'shut up!' Slightly amusing from our point of view right now maybe, but as you say, soon enough the boot will be on the other foot. (Although I hope not.)

Someone at the BBC, locally or nationally needs to sort this out. Football heaven is a great platform for South Yorkshire football. But being rude, condescending and worst of all biased, is totally unacceptable.

The main problem with Radio Sheffield is, first they are mainly piggy fans who present the programme. Secondly, they hate being told their team are poo , and thirdly , they hate being told thedir team are poo by their own supporters. I found it thoroughly amusing now we have all the piggies at one anothers throats. Can only end in tears whilst we at S6 go about our business in the proper manner. Even under Laws, did we have callers coming on slating the team like we are hearing at present regarding S2.

Messes, Bennet, Walker, Giddings etc, keep up the good work. Your programme gets more entertaining each day. Don't complain too much about them, this is entertainment at it's best. We need them :rolleyes:

Guest Briscoe Inferno

Spot on........

The BBC have impartiality as one of their core values and the service [or its employees] must not, on any occasion be used to dismiss and humiliate license payers or the general public. Opinions of guests have a right to be expressed however unpalatable [in the case of the BNP] but Dimbleby never uses Question Time as a platform to express his own personal views but skillfully encourages the debate between participants.

In the case of these two professional integrity is IMO non-existant and their conduct is unprofessional at best.

Guest Briscoe Inferno

Great post, I absolutely agree. I am just listening to it now on iPlayer. I just heard the moment one of them told an oinker to 'shut up!' Slightly amusing from our point of view right now maybe, but as you say, soon enough the boot will be on the other foot.[/i] (Although I hope not.)

Post boxes and quoting obsolete terms to stitch people up and destabilise charitable organisations in the recent past spring to mind..... :ph34r:

They are all really good looking.

Aye, they've got faces for radio.

I thought they were being pety last night. It was funny listening to how upset the blunts are cos they deserve their time just like we had ours (and they rubbed our noses in it), but seth bennett and that mardy blade Paul Walker were showing themselves to be the biggest hypocrites going. I don't need to write anymore cos what Arkamel put above is bang on.

It was shocking last night when in post match praise or grumble, Seth basically said the callers points were stupid.

It's an opinion show, so what what makes Seth's opinions any more valid than any of the callers?

Don't even bother listening now after a Saturday game. Usually listen to Stan Collymore's phone in instead.

Edited by Chris Akabusi

Guest Sheff Owl

The show is a complete embarrasment!!

What other show call's there fan's 'morans' and tell's them to 'shut up'?

And did'nt Paul say if you don't let me have my say then i will raise my voice?

Guest Sheff Owl

Bennet - "If you wanna come on here and give us a half baked argument then you are gonna get it!"

That says it all for me.

Did he not also say something along the lines of "i'm a journalist and i will run the show they way i like"?

If i heard that right then surely that contradicts the whole show they always ask people to ring in and talk about what they want as regards to local football clubs, you set the agenda so they say.

If I can recall correctly, RS were broadcasting from Barnsley before a match and a fan in the stand made threats to Seth.

They do raise the emotions of other supporters, particularly when they make an opinion and fail to give the caller a right to reply.

I like Brian the Blade because he has an ability to stand up to them.

Years ago there was a similar Wednesday fan called Ernest. He was a gem. I remember on one particular phone call he said in his ageing Sheffield accent,

"Them United fans are evil, pure evil". Love to know what happened to him.

Good post. Football Heaven: amazing. Just heard it all on iPlayer. He lost it there, did Seth. People have ended up in court for slagging folks off, if my memory serves me....

Sounds like a bunch of miserable old blokes in't boozer wi' nowt better to winge abaht...

The most sensible bits were the traffic reports.

The main problem with Radio Sheffield is, first they are mainly piggy fans who present the programme. Secondly, they hate being told their team are poo , and thirdly , they hate being told thedir team are poo by their own supporters. I found it thoroughly amusing now we have all the piggies at one anothers throats. Can only end in tears whilst we at S6 go about our business in the proper manner. Even under Laws, did we have callers coming on slating the team like we are hearing at present regarding S2.

Messes, Bennet, Walker, Giddings etc, keep up the good work. Your programme gets more entertaining each day. Don't complain too much about them, this is entertainment at it's best. We need them :rolleyes:

Agree with the bold bit.

I remember it being started by Jackson and I believe it was the first public football phone in then and pretty good.

Now as it's evolved we have possibly 2 blade's and giddings - I know I've complained about them myself over the scandalous bias re the WC bid, but it's a difficult job to keep both sides of the city happy; perhaps it could be said that because we both complain they must be doing ok overall

The problem is that whichever team is doing badly the show is a vehicle for 90% moans very few people come on and praise their team, and so to act as impartial they have to be seen to stand behind people they have to interview e.g. managers and chairmen to maintain a relationship that gives them access. I.E. Ferguson doesn't give interviews to anyone who criticises himself or family and reporters have been banned from Hillsborough in the past.

The important difference now though is that the blades have been moaning at being within a whisker of the playoffs and they cannot see how stupid they sound

For me the highlight is BTB and possibly one of the few reasons I tune in- I'd actually pay to listen to him moaning . Demanding that this and that guy get sacked then to fall at the feet of the next stand in manager and insist he's given a contract on there and then on the show - only to completely remove support for the guy a couple of losses later and want him sacked - excellent long may it continue :biggrin:

its a fans forum, for fans opinions, its not called paul, seth and andy heaven is it?

why they even have to state an opinion on anything is behond me. Surely they can just let the fans talk, no matter how stupid their thoughts are, as other fans will then come on and slate them anyway. At the moment it seems like 60% of the show is them talking about their own opinions, 10% interviews with people at the clubs ie managers/players and the final 30% the fans. As a show for the fans and their opinions it should be more like 60% for the fans and 30% for the presenteners (and even that is allowing a HELL of a lot for their egos to wax lyrical)