Darren Purse

I think Irvine has come in and told Purse to concentrate on getting the ball clear rather than pass it about. This suits him much better because the less time he has on the ball the less likely he is to make a mistake. He has always been good at tackling and winning headers and by making sure he just gets the ball away from goal rather than trying to find feet he looks so much more solid. Under laws everytime he got the ball the crowd expected him to make a mistake and this put added pressure on him which led to silly passes that often ended in a chance for the other side. Now he is more relaxed and knows that if he simpy smashes the ball away it is unlikely to give the other side an opportunity. It might not be pretty but as Purse is pretty terrible with his passing and i would much rather see him get rid of the ball and concentrate on doing the things he does well. When he does this then Him and Beevers look like a good pairing at the back and i now feel confident at will our defence on the whole because of this.

Edited by beef

Purse was under pressure when we played under laws as the entire team was very 'open'

Teams used to bypass midfield and run directly at our back four.

It makes life VERY difficult as defenders don't know weather to attack the running midfield players or back off them, which leaves you as a defender looking stupid and crap all the time as you have to move ten yards forward, or back off causing massive holes in the back line.

Its no suprise than since AI have come in, we have two solid banks of four, and purse is startin to play well. He is no where near as exposed as he was as a defender under laws.

1st time i've been to see Wednesday play since AI took over and I was very impressed, the defence was immaculate and I kept waiting for the customary Darren Purse flip up to arrive but it never did.

The guy won absolutely everything in the air and made some mightily important interventions, distribution out from defence on his part is still a little shaky but hey ho!

Well done Wednesday.....and keep it up Darren Purse!

Purse was under pressure when we played under laws as the entire team was very 'open'

Teams used to bypass midfield and run directly at our back four.

It makes life VERY difficult as defenders don't know weather to attack the running midfield players or back off them, which leaves you as a defender looking stupid and crap all the time as you have to move ten yards forward, or back off causing massive holes in the back line.

Its no suprise than since AI have come in, we have two solid banks of four, and purse is startin to play well. He is no where near as exposed as he was as a defender under laws.

Agree with this. Like Morgan at the sty, if the midfield works hard then the other side is restricted to knocking high balls up front and they will head them away all night but get somebody running at him with the ball and owt can happen. The better organisation of the team has helped the back 4 without doubt.

Hmm not really! Purse is not and never has been mercurial, in fact that's the last thing I'd ever call him! Waddle yes, Di Canio yes, Sibon even. They are mercurial amigo!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mercurial

Owlstalk - the home of lively semantics debate

From your dictionary page: changeable; volatile; fickle; flighty; erratic

He certainly can be a few of them

Guest wilkotheowl

Quality tonight. Won everything in the air and made some important tackles. Commanded the back four well, a captains performance.

Credit where credit is due, he has shown real determination & courage to prove he is a worthy captain. Superb again last night.

Also great to see that Tommy Spurr was back to his very best as well.

Credit where credit is due, he has shown real determination & courage to prove he is a worthy captain. Superb again last night.

Also great to see that Tommy Spurr was back to his very best as well.

yeah since Irvine come in his performances have hugely improved and been on a decent level now.