Darren Purse

Outstanding as he has been for a few weeks, turning into the big nasty defender we all thought we were signing, as someone has said his distribution is shocking, but i dont really care at this moment in time. Its not what he is in the side for.

Guest trusty_left_peg

Outstanding tonight I thought. He and Beevers are developing into a solid centre-back pairing - hopefully their form will continue.

Outstanding again tonight.

Just shaded by JOC for MOM.

I'd go along with this, JOC narrowly pipping Purse. I thought the two strikers worked their tails off, Potter was outstanding, Gray and Soares worked hard too. Beevers has started to fulfil the promise he showed early in his career, Spurr and Simek played well too.

This was a good team performance, we soaked up huge amounts of pressure, and defended very well. It was very similar to the weeked game between Chelsea and Arsenal. Blackpool had plenty of possession, they also had very willing runners. The 2 full backs joined in with every attack, at times Blackpool were playing with a back 2, everyone else was going forward. But just like Chelsea, we got an early goal, this allowed us to drop deep and not have to chase the game. I know a lot of our supporters get frustrated when we aren't playing free flowing football, but at the moment it is all about the points.

Tudgay and varney's link up play for the second goal was brilliant.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Guest RiponOwl1990

He and Beevers won everything in the air. He still makes me nervous when he has the ball, but a good performance.

Agreed.. he could have all the time in the world on the ball and still manage to look rushed and panicked... I thought Simek was left a bit exposed first half but I think that was more due to Soares than Purse and big Al swapped Soares for gray which improved things... good solid performance really... very encouraged but christ this leagues tight at the moment! Fingers crossed we can stick a few past Donny next week!

Guest chezzyowl

Played really well, wish he'd attack the 1st ball every time, when he lets it bounce its a danger. Like others his passing!! but it did get better as the game went on.

General comment about the back 4 it had balance, Simek makes a difference ok he does not have the legs he had 3 years ago but he is solid and does give options.

Beevers and Spurr looked better.

One slight weakness is they don't talk to each other enough, esp Grant and thats why he won't be a premier league keeper.

Guest Archie Mitchell

Purse was solid at the back. The tackle in the second half when they got through was exceptional. Just took the ball befor he could shoot.

absolutely outstanding tonight

the rock

won EVERYTHING

threw himself at nearly everything and won it

just what we wanted as a signing ...

Purse at his mercurial best

agreed- Purse was absolutely monstrous at the back tonight- exemplified on around 60 mins when he first neatly controlled the ball in his own 6 yard box before sweeping it away despite the close attentions of two blackpool defenders, then a minute later beevers let the ball go over his head and purse showed speed noone knew he had to get back and clear with a brilliant carragher-esque last-ditch challenge. Then from the resultant corner he won not one, but two vital headers. We were really under the cosh during this period and I felt it won us the game, so hats off to DP- MOM.

p.s. Don't use big words if you don't know what they mean.