Sign in to follow this  
ReginaldBlinker

Carlton Palmer v John Sheridan

Palmer for me too - too frequently slagged off particularly at England level - but he did what he did better than anyone else, both going forward and helping out at the back.

To use a darts saying, Sheridan for show, Palmer for Dough.

Its a golf saying :rolleyes:

Drive for show put for dough :-)

Shez for me.

Varney and tudders would be on 30 goals each at the end of this season !

I was pointing out that even a crocked Sheridan was still very effective, a fully fit and in his prime Sheridan would be the icing on the cake of any team. Palmer was a favourite of mine, he was Atkinsons first signing and worth his weight in gold, but Sheridan could unlock defences like no other.

I know it's a cheap shot, but we managed to win a cup final against the mighty Man Utd without Palmer. We had enough effective players to keep the game tight and when a bit of quality was needed, Sheridan provided it.

But you're agreeing with me really - THAT team had quality right through it and out of the two then you'd have to say that Sheridan was able to supply the finesse and quality to maximise those qualities.

In the current team he not only wouldn't have those players around his - but the opposition generally play a hectic style in which congesting midfield is common - nobody played with 5 man midfields back when Shez was king

So i think Palmer, with his great abilities defensively, his incomparable running, ability to support the attack and get beyond defences with his gerneall all-action style, would be a more effective player for us right now

Palmer for me, I think off the pitch he would get the dressing room going and bond the team which is needed as our confidence has been fragile of late (although ever improving under AI).

"Isn't this nice, just you and Carlton Palmer having a bath?"

Both were class acts and each would be a shining light in todays team for reasons already stated but I would go for Sheridan for his touch of class and killer passing, he would also be usefull from set pieces

We don't need Shez, we've got Darren Potter. You couldn't play both of them ergo Shez would not get in the team. Thus the only possible answer is Carlton.

Both were class acts and each would be a shining light in todays team for reasons already stated but I would go for Sheridan for his touch of class and killer passing, he would also be usefull from set pieces

I think this division would be beneath Shez TBF - he's too good for it - he stood out more surrounded by & against good players.

just imagine how many goals jeffers would score if we had sheridan

# IMAGINES EMPTY FIELD WITH TUMBLEWEED LAZILY DRIFTING PAST #

:biggrin:

We don't need Shez, we've got Darren Potter. You couldn't play both of them ergo Shez would not get in the team. Thus the only possible answer is Carlton.

:laugh: I, hope.

:blink: if he's being remotely serious.

The original question' s a damn good one - both players would walk into any Wednesday team from the last 20 years, of course. I think I'd *just* go for Carlton on the grounds that with our current team, the opposition might get away with double-marking him all game and freezing him out. They probably couldn't do that with Carlton.

If I could bring back just one player for this season, it'd be the 1990-91 season Hirsty - with 1992-93 Warhurst just behind...

I still remember Palmer's second coming.

Him and Trond stoved off relegation for us lol