Carlton Palmer v John Sheridan

Guest ReginaldBlinker

Guest ReginaldBlinker

Ok - latest one of these for you to mull over! I'm going to run out of decent comparisons soon so others may have to chip in next week!

So....Shez v Carlton - two Owls midfield legends but very different players.

Who would you pick now for our current team if you could choose?

CP for me - we are really missing an all action grafter in midfield to cover the pitch and boss the midfield.

The only thing I fear about Shez is that he needs players who run off the ball!!

If they stay back to goal with a defender planted up their arse Shez might not be as useful now as he was.

That's my fear - Shez does need options to find - his brilliance would generally be wasted in this team

In our team right now i do think Palmer would stand out more as an effective player

Like all Wednesdayites, I loved them both, Palmer slightly more than Sheridan.

Not sure about the comment that Sheridan would need better players around him, I was at Hillsborough when he totally outplayed us while playing for Oldham. He had got arthritic knees, his legs had obviously gone, but he could still see and execute a pass, he was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch, we simply couldn't get near him.

If Sheridan was playing for us today, Tudgay and Varney would think all their birthdays had come at once, so it's a vote for Sheridan for me.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Not sure about the comment that Sheridan would need better players around him, I was at Hillsborough when he totally outplayed us while playing for Oldham. He had got arthritic knees, his legs had obviously gone, but he could still see and execute a pass, he was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch, we simply couldn't get near him.

And Oldham didn't have the quality of player to turn that dominance into a win - much better teams than we were would be able to single him out because they wouldn't also have a Hirst/Waddle/Warhurst/Bright etc to worry about

He would also not have Palmer's penetrating ruins to stretch the play

So for those reasons i think Palmer would be more effective - at attacking and defending

Ok - latest one of these for you to mull over! I'm going to run out of decent comparisons soon so others may have to chip in next week!

So....Shez v Carlton - two Owls midfield legends but very different players.

Who would you pick now for our current team if you could choose?

CP for me - we are really missing an all action grafter in midfield to cover the pitch and boss the midfield.

In terms of quality, it's like comparing champagne and shandy. Should be Sheridan every time but his talent and vision would probably be out of tune with the rest of the team.

Palmer for me too - too frequently slagged off particularly at England level - but he did what he did better than anyone else, both going forward and helping out at the back.

To use a darts saying, Sheridan for show, Palmer for Dough.

If Sheridan was playing for us today, Tudgay and Varney would think all their birthdays had come at once, so it's a vote for Sheridan for me.

I remember that game too!! I think he was player manager at the time and during the week he was saying that his right knee was absoloutely shot and doubted if he would play himself. He pulled us apart, ripped us to pieces without moving out of the centre circle!!!

Having said that, in todays team, Palmer.

And Oldham didn't have the quality of player to turn that dominance into a win - much better teams than we were would be able to single him out because they wouldn't also have a Hirst/Waddle/Warhurst/Bright etc to worry about

He would also not have Palmer's penetrating ruins to stretch the play

So for those reasons i think Palmer would be more effective - at attacking and defending

I was pointing out that even a crocked Sheridan was still very effective, a fully fit and in his prime Sheridan would be the icing on the cake of any team. Palmer was a favourite of mine, he was Atkinsons first signing and worth his weight in gold, but Sheridan could unlock defences like no other.

I know it's a cheap shot, but we managed to win a cup final against the mighty Man Utd without Palmer. We had enough effective players to keep the game tight and when a bit of quality was needed, Sheridan provided it.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.