I heard on Look North last night (the NE version) that the Newcastle United Supporters' Trust has so far received pledges of £50 million in their bid to buy the club from Mike Ashley.

Somewhere on this forum recently a similar idea was raised regarding Wednesday fans finding the £20 million talked about by LS as the level of investment SWFC is seeking.

NUFC ave home gate: say 50,000, SWFC ave home gate: say 20,000.

The figures should stack up therefore. Is the Newcastle fanbase significantly more wealthy than ours? I don't reckon so.

So £1000 - £1500 pledged per person on average would see us (or indeed, Wednesdayite perhaps) capable of making a strong move.

Sounds like a lot of money per head, but if Newcastle fans can make the necessary sacrifices, I'd be very sad if we couldn't. If it's a good enough cause for them, it's good enough for us.

Surely we can do two-fifths as well as Newcastle.

For anyone interested, http://www.nust.org.uk/

UTO

Edited by shabbyhouse

Guest thetruthisoutthere

I heard on Look North last night (the NE version) that the Newcastle United Supporters' Trust has so far received pledges of £50 million in their bid to buy the club from Mike Ashley.

Somewhere on this forum recently a similar idea was raised regarding Wednesday fans finding the £20 million talked about by LS as the level of investment SWFC is seeking.

The figures should stack up therefore. Is the Newcastle fanbase significantly more wealthy than ours? I don't reckon so.

So £1000 - £1500 pledged per person on average would see us (or indeed, Wednesdayite perhaps) capable of making a strong move.

Sounds like a lot of money per head, but if Newcastle fans can make the necessary sacrifices, I'd be very sad if we couldn't. If it's a good enough cause for them, it's good enough for us.

UTO

When i saw the thread title i thought this was going to be about Sheffield United :laugh:

UTO

Its labeled a supporters trust but they've mainly targeted wealthy business people around the area for large contributions.

I wouldn't imagine there'd be many businesses local to us that would stump up large sums of money for us, would love to be proved wrong though!

*beat me to it eccy!

Edited by swfc93

Guest Ripley Owl

UTO

i was going to contest that, but i just cant be bothered really

If Newcastle are getting crowds of 50k, as the OP suggests (admittedly I haven't gone to the trouble of investigating their claim - I thought it was a little less, although not a great deal lower), and St James' Park only has a capacity of just over 52,000, it would suggest that you have little grounds to contest the issue.

I would also suggest we would struggle to fill Hillsborough even if were a mid table Premier League side, whereas Newcastle fans would be struggling to find tickets for home games most weeks.

Still, please go ahead and contest the above.

If Newcastle are getting crowds of 50k, as the OP suggests (admittedly I haven't gone to the trouble of investigating their claim - I thought it was a little less, although not a great deal lower), and St James' Park only has a capacity of just over 52,000, it would suggest that you have little grounds to contest the issue.

I would also suggest we would struggle to fill Hillsborough even if were a mid table Premier League side, whereas Newcastle fans would be struggling to find tickets for home games most weeks.

may I be the first to say

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!

Guest tomarkley

I think, even if we could only raise enough to buy out the shares and loans of certain ex-directors and group the shareholding together, it would be worth every penny.

£1000? I'm in.

Guest Ripley Owl

I really hope we dont go down this route , there would be more falling out about silly petty little things and we would have about 1000 want to be chairmen with break away groups and boycots to come .

Appreciate the idea and its good intent but i would rather just leave it to Lee to get it sorted.

UTO

easy to contest if you understand anything about trends.

Why do you think Sheffield United were getting good gates in the Premier compared to the last time they were there? Same fan base to pull on, crowds in general are up from the last time we were a good side!

Put Wednesday in the Premier now, we'd full house every home game, I don't remember us doing that all that often under Francis in the top flight, but crowds all across the board were low at that point.

Edited by salmonbones

Guest Ripley Owl

I really do hope we don't go down this route , there would be more falling out about silly little petty things than a little.

We would have about a thousand want to be chairmen with break away groups and boycots to come.

Appreciate the idea and its good intent but i would rather just leave it to Lee to sort out ! :biggrin:

Put Wednesday in the Premier now, we'd full house every home game, I don't remember us doing that all that often under Francis in the top flight, but crowds all across the board were low at that point.

:laugh:

At Premier League prices we'd be lucky to get over 30,000 for most games.

I mean can you honestly see 40,000 people paying at least £25-30 a ticket to watch Wednesday v Wigan?