Why do you love football?

After the last thread, got me all wound up, how's a bout a gentler, Why do you love Football?

I'll kick off

AFC Wimbledon and their rise through the divisions. Their fans are going to finally get their club back at around their level, and will just get to be normal football fans again soon.

The sudden standing, the wave of people getting up, the "go on(!!!)", the leaning, and then the toppling forwards as a Wednesday surge on the opposition is in progress, followed by the sheer joy and sense of genuine happiness that is followed during the resulting goal.

...rare treats are good.

The fact that it is the only language the whole world understands. Go abroad. Talk to the people in English, they don't understand. Put a ball in front of them and they'll happily have a kick around with ya!

Religion causes war, but during the first and second world wars what happened on christmas day? Guns down, ball out.

For all those idiots who say "it's just a game", stop! think! then hang yourself!

Hugging random strangers when we score (but not in a sexual way, for me anyway)

The whole global language thing.

The fact that my kids are the 5th generation of Wednesday fans in our family and we've always lived in the city. Mainly in S6 too. It truly feels like our club the way plastic glory hunters never could appreciate.

The fact that when we win I'm happy. Even just a basic league win puts me on cloud nine. Supporters of the big 4 expect it, we treasure it.

Its just reyt good sometimes innit?

The fact that a little piece of plastic crosses a line and it makes you jump around like a loon for 30 seconds and want to hug everyone close to you.

Standing amongst Sheffield Wednesday fans at away games

The feeling when the ball hits the net and the euphoria.

( a new one) the sight of my 9 year old daughter screaming with her eyes popping out of her head (when Spurr scored v Barnsley. Will never forget it)

The sight of my 6 year old son sitting down and facing the other way when the opposition gets a late corner when we are winning and then the smile on his face when it comes to nothing.

Having something to get me through the working week, the thought of watching the owls at the weekend.

Having a reason to travel around the country

Excellent thread

I love the friends I've made through it

I love the closeness and the unbreakable bond it provides between me and my dad

I love not giving a poo what all of my Man United and Chelsea suporting mates say about Wednesday because I know that I'm happier standing on the North rain, snow or shine than I would ever be buying a man united shirt and watching their games in the local pub down in Kent.

I love the noise of an away game, like Sheffield United away last season... deafening and awe inspiring.

I love seeing Hillsborough packed to the rafters and every single stand bouncing and thinking it was one of the most amazing sights I'd ever seen.

I love being able to moan about everything to do with Wednesday - and secretly, rumbleing loving it.

Edited by Brownlad

Getting on a bus in the Valleys going down to Cardiff and standing out like a sore thumb in my Wednesday colours. However at each stop more Wednesdayites get on until the bus is full of them.

Then we joined 42,000 Wednesdayites for a magical day.

Making a bar in Belfast more interested in Owls v Plymouth than Chelsea v Wigan due to me and 2 mates vocal support and animated celebrations when Spurr scored.

The excitement I felt at finally going to a match at Hillsborough. I was 19 but was like an excited kid. lol

That same feeling I get coming down Herries Road under the Five Arches seeing the ground every time. Its the same now as it was when I was six. Many times Ive been asked what it feels like by non-football and non-Wednesday fans, but the best I can come up with is, 'This is me, and all this is mine'

Guest GREEN_1867

Making a bar in Belfast more interested in Owls v Plymouth than Chelsea v Wigan due to me and 2 mates vocal support and animated celebrations when Spurr scored.

What bar was that Belfast?

I love being at a service station or on the motorway at silly o clock in the morning and seeing fans of other teams stroll in, team buses drive past resulting in a quick flick to see where they are off to today. Bantering with the likes of Stockport fans as the coach stops off on the way to Man City. Despite all being true to different teams, you are wishing each other good luck and keep an ear out for that result on the way back.

Getting back at gone midnight to think that the away match was all worth it despite the result.

The trains on the way up and back

Guest CampbellOwl-36

Going on holiday in a foreign country with your Owls shirt and ending up in conversations with complete strangers about our team, their team (unless it's the same) and football in general.