Worst away day experience

Guest dingdong

One of the best and worst all in one - Exeter late 70s when we needed a win to get promotion under Big Jack. We were 1 up and cruising and won a penalty, missed the pen then Exeter scored twice and everything looked like it had fallen apart. For 20 mins it was a nightmare, then other results went for us and we were promoted and Big Jack came out to salute the 7000 Wednesday Fans.

Like I said one of the best and worst all in one day - that's why I love football and Wednesday!! :rolleyes:

Guest gringo69

wigan away in a FA cup tie when they were non league.lost 1-0 ,shi-ite ground,paraded through town by the rozzers to and from our coaches,felt like a jew being marched to belsen.

happy days !!!!

Ground is being way too polite, the 'away end' was just a grass bank.

Bradford mid 70's - away end full so we were put in the same corner where the fire started, it kicked off with the plod in the away end and the lumps of concrete started flying towards where we were stood, as our end didn't know we were Owls, and next thing me Mam was laid out next to me. How it managed to just hit her leg and take her out god knows, if it had hit her head it'd have killed her.

So the scarves we'd hid as we were in with the Bradford fans were frantically waved towards our end and the lumps of concrete stopped and were replaced by coppers helmets. A 'friendly fire' incident, par for the course in the good old days.

One of the best and worst all in one - Exeter late 70s when we needed a win to get promotion under Big Jack. We were 1 up and cruising and won a penalty, missed the pen then Exeter scored twice and everything looked like it had fallen apart. For 20 mins it was a nightmare, then other results went for us and we were promoted and Big Jack came out to salute the 7000 Wednesday Fans.

Like I said one of the best and worst all in one day - that's why I love football and Wednesday!! :rolleyes:

we lost 1-0 agree mark smith missed a pen !!!! still great day though

My worst was Plymouth away a couple of years ago, we lost 4-0 and i had £4,000 stolen from my bank account, by someone that looks like my picture probably

Ground is being way too polite, the 'away end' was just a grass bank.

Bradford mid 70's - away end full so we were put in the same corner where the fire started, it kicked off with the plod in the away end and the lumps of concrete started flying towards where we were stood, as our end didn't know we were Owls, and next thing me Mam was laid out next to me. How it managed to just hit her leg and take her out god knows, if it had hit her head it'd have killed her.

So the scarves we'd hid as we were in with the Bradford fans were frantically waved towards our end and the lumps of concrete stopped and were replaced by coppers helmets. A 'friendly fire' incident, par for the course in the good old days.

was that when we lost 3-2?

we got to the game late and ended up in the same area as you, as the wednesday end was full. the ground was crammed full

Arsenal at leicesters old filbert street ground, think it was the second visit circa 1979.FA cup replays,

Rammed into that middle pen till I couldn't breath, me and my mate climbed out over the fence somehow.

Going back to van after match and ambushed by leicesters finest, still remember the stars when one of the little barstewards twatted me from the side in the eye.

Knocked onto the floor and seeming like 60 pair of boots flying at my head, still managed to bang one though before it came on top........

flip me 'ditto' mate, we must have been next to each other in the ambush, I got got twatted from behind then kicked unconscious. A couple of mates found me wandering about when I did'nt return to the car. To be honest can't remember much about it, still made the next replay though. WTID.

Another bad away day was losing 1-0 in the cup at Wigan when they were non league, got hit with a brick too, bad day all round.

flip me 'ditto' mate, we must have been next to each other in the ambush, I got got twatted from behind then kicked unconscious. A couple of mates found me wandering about when I did'nt return to the car. To be honest can't remember much about it, still made the next replay though. WTID.

Another bad away day was losing 1-0 in the cup at Wigan when they were non league, got hit with a brick too, bad day all round.

Crikey, I've had a sheltered life - I've never come close to getting twatted at a game - yet.

Two contenders for me:

1) Colchester 4, Wednesday 0 (2006) - it seemed to take forever and a day to get to Layer Rd and we were biblically awful when we did get there. Didn't get home til 1.30am on a school night either - the missus was not impressed with any aspect of the night.

2) Charlton 1, Wednesday 2 (2008) - should have been a great day but spoiled by two things. Firstly, a couple of Burberry-clad scumbag teens shouting "Kick the n****r - kick his black face in"... to JJ, of all people. They finally shut up when I had a word but I was expecting wee wee in my pocket all afternoon. Then after the game, we went to a dodgy Thai restaurant round the corner from the Valley and at the bus stop, I farted and followed through horribly. 30 mins with poo dripping down my leg and I had to detour to the 02 just to get rid of the pants in peace. I still shudder when I hear the words 'Charlton Athletic' now...

Crikey, I've had a sheltered life - I've never come close to getting twatted at a game - yet.

Two contenders for me:

1) Colchester 4, Wednesday 0 (2006) - it seemed to take forever and a day to get to Layer Rd and we were biblically awful when we did get there. Didn't get home til 1.30am on a school night either - the missus was not impressed with any aspect of the night.

2) Charlton 1, Wednesday 2 (2008) - should have been a great day but spoiled by two things. Firstly, a couple of Burberry-clad scumbag teens shouting "Kick the n****r - kick his black face in"... to JJ, of all people. They finally shut up when I had a word but I was expecting wee wee in my pocket all afternoon. Then after the game, we went to a dodgy Thai restaurant round the corner from the Valley and at the bus stop, I farted and followed through horribly. 30 mins with poo dripping down my leg and I had to detour to the 02 just to get rid of the pants in peace. I still shudder when I hear the words 'Charlton Athletic' now...

FFS...............did we need to be told about that :ohmy:

Living in Surrey and not having much opportunity to travel, the vast majority of my games have been awaydays in London, and so most of them have been miserable.

Losing 4-2 at Millwall in 1990 after being 2-0 up at HT and Roly going off on a stretcher. I was only 10 years old and it was only the 3rd game I'd been to, but the intimidation from the Millwall fans still haunts me.

Losing 7-1 at Arsenal in 1992 after we'd been pretty comfortable at 1-1. Merson's offside goal for 3-1 was the moment it really soured. At the end of the game I turned round to see the remaining miserable faces, and my smug Arsenal-supporting dad standing right in the middle of them trying not to laugh out loud.

Losing 2-1 at Wimbledon in 1993 in front of a crowd of under 6,000. Cold, windy terrace and a group of teenage Wimbledon pikeys laughing at us from the other side of the compound fencing.

Losing 2-0 at Charlton in the FA Cup in 1996. Kim Grant (even Charlton called him "Kim Can't") scoring the first and then somehow winning a penalty that was a) outside the area, b) Pressman played the ball and c) made no contact. Just to rub it in, Paul Mortimer slipped over as he took the kick, sending Kev the wrong way. Then having to deal with my Charlton-supporting mates after the game. It was the only shock in the cup that day, so the papers were full of it.

Losing 3-0 at QPR in 2003, because we were terrible and I felt robbed because of the extortionate ticket price and the terrible obstructed view.

Losing 6-0 at Reading last season.

Losing 4-1 at Watford this season, wondering why I still bother going to matches, and then going home and making plans for the Leicester match...

Then after the game, we went to a dodgy Thai restaurant round the corner from the Valley and at the bus stop, I farted and followed through horribly. 30 mins with poo dripping down my leg and I had to detour to the 02 just to get rid of the pants in peace. I still shudder when I hear the words 'Charlton Athletic' now...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Guest gringo69

was that when we lost 3-2?

we got to the game late and ended up in the same area as you, as the wednesday end was full. the ground was crammed full

Can't remember the result for the life of me, just wooden stand, flying concrete, big thud, battered coppers but i was only 6/7/8 at the time ?

wigan away in a FA cup tie when they were non league.lost 1-0 ,shi-ite ground,paraded through town by the rozzers to and from our coaches,felt like a jew being marched to belsen.

happy days !!!!

I was there mate can remember fat sid and his cronies shattering the plate glass of woolworths window.

One of two for me.

Reading a couple of seasons ago. Tunred up early because I didn't have a ticket and wanted to make sure I could get in. Got there at 1600, waited outside the ground until the ticket office opened at about 1745. Got my tickeet then waited outside for the 1945 kick off and we then went on to lose 6-0. On the tube on the way back someone tried starting upo a conversation with me by starting with "blinding peformance wasn't it?!", to which I replied "I'm a Wednesdayite and I'm pissed off!".

Swindon in the FA Cup in 05. Just made it to the ground for the first kick due to my mate's poo navigational skills. First time I was ever disappointed with the Wednesday fans. Had two stands and they were almost empty. THey were even more empty with about 15minutes to go when we were 4-1 down. poo poo day.

FFS...............did we need to be told about that :ohmy:

Heh, sorry - it was intended more as a warning public service announcement if we end up in the same division as C******n next season (take your pick as to which division it might be!)

I remember it well....Exeter gave us their end and we had 3 sides of the ground.. The police were fantastic telling us before the game where to get cider from....what a day lol

Worst result : Arsenal 7 - 1 91/92 Someone next to me said they thought we could win it at when it was 1-1, Arsenal then scored 6 times in around 20 mins. At the end it just seemed like a bad dream. In someways the 4-0 defeat at cambridge the year before was a lot worse result.

Worst Wednesday Memory : Roland breaking his leg at the den. I have always been of the opinion that had that not happened we would have been promoted as champions

Worst experience: being thrown out of Twerton Park Bath ( v Bristol Rovers ) for p"£$ing on a wall because there were no toilets. I remember the arrogant coppers face ( power mad b"£$ard ) . Why do football fans pay so much and yet get treated so badly?

I'd say when we went to Port Vale and you got threatened by a group of Wednesday fans was worse!

GLAD ALL OVER!

hehe

(injoke - apologies)

hahaha, yeah i do remember that couldnt remember the song though!!

AIR GUITAR!

Guest York-owl

Derby by far, the season we went down. To me that is the day we got relegated from the prem. 3-1 up with a fantastic goal from sibon ,and with 2 mins to go they made it 3-3

same for me we scored on 90min to make it 3-1 :biggrin: then ...well the rest is history :ohmy:

Where to start?

Probably the worse day was Wimbledon away (89 i think) at the old Plough Lane (Carlton was making his debut if memory serves me well).................Was held up in traffic on way down so no drinkies , then we couldnt find the ground and a local told us to park up where we were as we were "only" 5 mins away.

25 mins later at ten past three we arrived at the ground................open end.............pissed it down all match..........lost 1-0.................that tw@t Dennis Wise scored.

25 min walk back to car set off back...............couple of cans , starting to warm up , then we have to stop at services for a Forrest Gump..............get back in car.................fails to start.

Spend half an hour trying to get it started (wee wee wet through again) , then wait hour and half for AA.................AA man picks us up and informs us that by law he can only drive us for an hour , so drops us at AA station to await another lift.

Whilst waiting for ANOTHER hour we pick up the old sunday supplements on the table out of sheer boredom.................and the first thing we see on the front cover of one of them is June Whitfield holding up a Wimbledon scarf!

Finally get a lift and arrive home at 2.30