Alan Irvine

Agree about not getting carried away---AI says the same thing.

But if you saw the back of yesterday's "Star", you'll see how low things had got when you read it is reported how BL's headstrong withdrawal of Spurr before 40 minutes in that home match vs WBA knocked him for six. McAuley quoted as saying that Spurr was playing with fear thereafter.

We needed a change and AI does know how to succeed in this division ( rather than finding it a journey into the unknown).

I also read somewhere that AI was getting the central defenders to play slightly one behind the other to avoid being by passed so much. This is likely to increase confidence within the defence, as will JOC being more defensive to give extra support . Rather than losing your rag, It IS possible to coach improvements into defenders--Geo Graham spent hours doing it at Arsenal eg like wheeling at an angle when attacks came down the flanks. There was a feature on TV about it once. Mind you, we have at least two weak defenders so cannot expect too much!!!

It was clear Laws had made his decisions on who he would be retaining at the end of the season and I think this had a huge impact on the morale of the players.

AI has come in and said it is all up for grabs - nothing motivates a player more than playing for a pay rise. Tactically we are not a lot different and our defence I still think is vunerable to anyone with pace but we look hungrier across the park.

lets not get too carried away people

look at the impact Macauley made as caretaker last time and when Laws and Sturrock first came in

I think it's possible to say as indeed AI has that's he doesn't know what he's done other than be a fresh face.

What we mustn't do is start over analysing why and just go with the momentum and the confidence that brings even crap players can look decent if everyone's up for it.

Equally we mustn't knee jerk into gloom again if the squad turn in a bad performance.

This new manager/face upturn is a well known phenomena over used by some clubs who can afford the compo *Q cough PR* So I 'm hoping we have a dowie ( and indeed Irvine) type run that means we surge to safety riding the momentum

In a back-slapping kind of way, yes, I agree! ;-)

This transformation just shows you how woeful Brian's 'leadership' had become. Amazing performances, from the same bunch of lads.

Hearty congratulations to the lads and especially Alan Irvine - I can see AI/SWFC being a successful partnership for many, many years.

We've finally 'found our man' for the long-haul. Thank you so much, Preston!

UTO!!!

Not quite.

One of the main reasons there is an upturn in player performance following a change of manager is players who knew they would be shipped out in June are once more playing for a new contract.

Remember Brian won 5 on the spin in his first season and didn't turn out to be 'our man' for the long haul.

Early, early days.

Guest Ripley Owl

massive kick in the teeth for the teams below us especially Reading who must have expected us to lose tonight.

And Derby who are there for the taking, they are on a slippery slope ! :blink:

I agree, lets not gety carried away......yet!

Two things appeared lacking to me in the last few months of Laws tenure, motivation and organisation. Two of the things AI was renowned for according to the press. These are the same players some of us thought could be good enough for a play off push, well with motivation and organisation perhaps some of them still are (next year!!).

One things for sure, I dont think we would have got owt from the two games, and it would have been doom and gloom nexct Saturday. Now there will be a noticable spring in the steps on Saturday, Im actually looking forward to it, instead of dreading it!

It shows how bad things were under Laws. Nobody knew where the next goal was coming from nevermind win. I'm glad he has gone. We needed change it had gone worse than stale. A couple of wins has put the belief and the passion back into the both the players and the fans. There's a lot of work to do, it's only a start like Alan has said, but it's a great start, and long may it continue!

:rolleyes: Check the date. One year and 3 days ago.

Little did we know how much of a horrible appointment he would turn out to be.

This is not intended to embarras any of the original posters btw....was trying to find the very first Alan Irvine thread but it doesn't seem to go back that far.

Guest Distraught!

Not quite.

One of the main reasons there is an upturn in player performance following a change of manager is players who knew they would be shipped out in June are once more playing for a new contract.

Remember Brian won 5 on the spin in his first season and didn't turn out to be 'our man' for the long haul.

Early, early days.

You might want to keep this post Mcmigo and frame it!

Early days indeed!

:st2:

TBF there was quite an element of proving how shyte Laws actually was so it manifested as bigging up Irvine

Truth is Laws did a pretty decent job and in comparison was waaaaay better than his successor has turned out to be

Hindsight is wonderful though

Laws wasn't a good manager - he was okay and probably necessary for the time and circumstances and did a decent job - Irvine however was billed as something he clearly wasn't and isn't

Among the worst appointments ever sadly

It also shows the value of using caution when assessing somebody early into their roles - players and managers