"Alan Irvine" - How do YOU say it?

Last night on 'Late Kick Off' on BBC1, John Hendrie, (Scottish person), corrected Guy Mowbray, (English person), with his pronounciation and pointed out it was Ir-vinn and not Ir-vine.

Well I'm Scottish and I learned Gaelic at school and I'm 95% sure it's 'vine'. Which is strange because Dunfermline is pronounced 'Linn'.

My surname is Irvine

no i am not Alan before anyone asks. this as been a big annoyance of mine. swore at a Rozzer for getting this wrong once. it is pronounced ''IRV-IN'' the town is pronounced IRV-IN.

as is common in celtic (KEL-TIC) circles the E is silent.

http://genforum.genealogy.com/irvine/messages/498.html

the eddie IRV-INE came from the evolution of the irish accent

So it is Alan IRV-IN.

here endeth the history/english lesson :biggrin:

Edited by runningowl

My surname is Irvine

no i am not Alan before anyone asks. this as been a big annoyance of mine. swore at a Rozzer for getting this wrong once. it is pronounced ''IRV-IN'' the town is pronounced IRV-IN.

So it is Alan IRV-IN.

:ph34r::biggrin: You can't even say your name right.

Irvine - Origin of the name

Irvine's origin is Celtic, and its use, English and Scottish.

Pronunciation for Irvine: ER as in "hurt (HH.ER.T)" ; V as in "vee (V.IY)" ; AY as in "hide (HH.AY.D)" ; N as in "knee (N.IY)"

The above post has audio as well.

Edited by edinburghowl

Irvine - Origin of the name

Irvine's origin is Celtic, and its use, English and Scottish.

Pronunciation for Irvine: ER as in "hurt (HH.ER.T)" ; V as in "vee (V.IY)" ; AY as in "hide (HH.AY.D)" ; N as in "knee (N.IY)"

The above post has audio as well.

That's the most confusing thing ever :biggrin:

I'm just going to call him Alan Hurtveehideknee.

:biggrin: MacLean was one that always annoyed me. When you bloody English pronounced it 'mc-leen'. That is 100% pronounced 'mc-lane'

I think the best way to solve this will be to ask Alan himself. It seems with one poster on here that people that have the surname pronounce it both ways. It's obviously down to preference. Anyone fancy phoning Radio Sheffield? :laugh: I would but nobody would understand me.

I'm not sure why you keep quoting that website. Surely the pronunciation of a name is entirely down to the preference of the beholder? Although usually this comes directly from however their parents pronounced it too.

I don't think this sort of thing can be proved with "facts", it should be pronounced however Irvine would like it to be pronounced.

Just ask Mrs. Bucket.

Posted Image

My surname is Irvine

http://genforum.genealogy.com/irvine/messages/498.html

So it is Alan IRV-IN.

Good enough for me!

:biggrin: MacLean was one that always annoyed me. When you bloody English pronounced it 'mc-leen'. That is 100% pronounced 'mc-lane'

I think the best way to solve this will be to ask Alan himself. It seems with one poster on here that people that have the surname pronounce it both ways. It's obviously down to preference. Anyone fancy phoning Radio Sheffield? :laugh: I would but nobody would understand me.

Alan Hurtveehideknee would.