Prozone v Pen and paper

Guest intercity0wl

Guest totemowl

I think this is why I don't really 'get it'

I'm not questioning that it must pose some benefits - otherwise the creators have pulled off a right scam! - but I just struggle to see how beneficial it can be? I mean... similar software may be effective for businesses as you are unable to monitor all staff all the time and may need statistical information to flag up areas of weakness, but for monitoring a situation where said staff are under intense, focused scrutiny anyway? I just can't really get my head round that.

Maybe its because I don't understand it or maybe because I have absolutely rock bottom knowledge of managing / coaching, but I just think surely a manager can see a player? Can see how much he runs, how often he shoots and how successful his passing is? If a player always goes tearing down the wing but fails to cross the ball, you don't need a computer to tell you that he needs to work on his crossing?

I know that's a very simplistic view and its probably far more complex, but I do wonder if the costs involved are justified by the positive benefits it brings?

I reckon the answer to that must be yes, on the basis that both Laws and Irvine have said how helpful it has been to them (at SWFC, Everton and PNE).

If it adds 10-20% to what they know, and helps them improve the squad's capability, it's probably worth it.

Wow - it's becoming quite a 'circular' discussion - as was posted earlier:

&

James, that answers f*ck all mate. I understand the principle behind it. I sort of understand how it works, but I'd be interested to hear about it in a little more detail and how, specifically, it applies to us. maybe its a little too much to ask, I'm not too bothered anyway, I was just curious. I don't attach that much importance to it and as someone else stated, if it adds efficiency to the coaches / management then fair enough.

James, that answers f*ck all mate. I understand the principle behind it. I sort of understand how it works, but I'd be interested to hear about it in a little more detail and how, specifically, it applies to us. maybe its a little too much to ask, I'm not too bothered anyway, I was just curious. I don't attach that much importance to it and as someone else stated, if it adds efficiency to the coaches / management then fair enough.

I see what you mean now.

As I said earlier, I am going to try and get one of the guys to talk about it in the Training Ground blog in coming weeks.

Can you do a demo at all, i'd actually love to see it in action !

That would be great !

P.S. If anone thinks prozone actually costs a 'lot of money' then that don't understand the costs of enterprise scale software.

I could give you some figures of well know software that costs hundreds of thousands to liscence, operate and run.

Edited by Dark$ide