Just how big is the owls support base ?

Guest owls1521

I went in to a Bookies in limmasol in 2008 Cyprus .you no the type of place were the music stops when you walk in :biggrin: , I wanted to put a bet on some Horse back home . but the guy behind the counter said very broken english but i got the message we dont show UK racing so i asked him for a football slip I filled out a few selections took it to the counter .And i just asked him who he supported and Iam not kiding here he turned the form over and pointed to the championship table and SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY !

Only thing i had on me was my screen saver on me phone and showed him .next min he was offering coffees cigs not the frosty reception when johnny foreigner (me) first walked in.

If iam in cyprus i pop in say hello

WERE ALL WEDNESDAY ARNT WE!

:laugh::laugh::laugh: thats great mate !!!!

i had the same i greece :biggrin:

Guest anstonowls

Wednesday's record average is 42K a number of times in the 2nd division in the early 1950's. You wonder what the average would have been if they had been a successful side in the 1st division rather than being relegated the following season, when they became known as the yo yo club. If crowds are now at the record levels since the 1950's in the division, if a Wednesday side got into a promotion position, they would easily fill Hilsborough. I don't think they had floodlights in the 1950's so many games would have been played mid week lowering the average.

Edited by anstonowls

Guest anstonowls

I think there was one game against Liverpool and one against Man United where the crowd was nearly 50,000.

However let's not forget there will have been a good 15,000 away fans in them crowds.

I was at those matches and cann't remember 15K of away fans. In fact the match against Liverpool I think I remember Wednesday fans being let onto the Leppings Lane late, because there were so many there.

I can also remember the League Cup quarter final match against Liverpool that was played at night, getting 50K. Only a couple of thousand standing liverpool fans were let into the Leppings Lane end, the rest were Wednesday. Wednesday had the top tier seating in the Leppings Lane stand as well.

Guest Handsworthowl

Went to Zakynthos for a fortnight a few days after the play off final success. The hotel we were staying in had a massive owls flag behind the bar, the barman himself was an owl. Turned out he had moved from wadsley bridge a year before. And one night was getting into bed and we just hear outside the classic "EE I EE I EE I OH, UP THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE WE GO, NOW WE'VE WON PROMOTION, THIS IS WHAT WE SING, WE ARE WEDNESDAY WE ARE WEDNESDAY :st2: IS OUR KING" (Rather drunkenly). Will never forget such a surreal moment for the rest of my life.

Can one of the Mods find the thread about the ticket database from about 6 -8 months ago and paste the thread into the one? In that thread, LS talks about the potential of the fanbase because it is so large. I am speaking in illustrative terms and don't have the exact figures, so don't shoot me down but, the SWFC ticket database shows that over the last 10 years, we have had something like 40,000 INDIVIDUAL season ticket holders and something like 150,000 INDIVIDUAL matchday purchasers of home tickets. I would say that that's the size of out fanbase. Alright, I will not have quoted the correct figures but its something astonishing like these. To all of these people, I would say 'get back t'Hillsborough'.

Guest MEXBOROUGH

was brought up in mexborough we had a huge supporters club was based in the plant hotel , all the mex blades used to meet in the phone box down the road !!!!! trot on craphead

They still do mate :laugh:

Guest CampbellOwl-36

Can one of the Mods find the thread about the ticket database from about 6 -8 months ago and paste the thread into the one? In that thread, LS talks about the potential of the fanbase because it is so large. I am speaking in illustrative terms and don't have the exact figures, so don't shoot me down but, the SWFC ticket database shows that over the last 10 years, we have had something like 40,000 INDIVIDUAL season ticket holders and something like 150,000 INDIVIDUAL matchday purchasers of home tickets. I would say that that's the size of out fanbase. Alright, I will not have quoted the correct figures but its something astonishing like these. To all of these people, I would say 'get back t'Hillsborough'.

Would make a huge difference if they did.

Also it's worth pointing out that anywhere you go in Britain (and abroad aswell) you are highly likely to bump into an Owls fan or more. I even ended up in a massive conversation with bout 20 people at carboot sale in Alnwick once all related to Wednesday and Sheffield. A big club has that kind of support.

Whatever the numbers, the facts remain that we have the best, the most supportive, the most loyal, the most knowledgeable, and the most patient, fans in the country. Present bickering amongst ourselves is borne out of frustration, nothing else, and the overriding desire to be a force in the English game once more.

We are well overdue some payback in terms of success and when success starts to appear over the horizon, so will march "The Sleeping Army", back to remind us not of who and what we are, but of what we can become.

I'm proud to be an Owl no matter where we find ourselves and that will never change. Vauxhall Conference, Champions League, it makes no odds.

Come on Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Early 90s we had the 4th best attendence record in the country.

Since then Prem attendence have grown. If we could replicate the position, that is well over 40k.

Personally I think we will get 32-33k average in prem, increasing by 1-2k each consectutive year we are there.

Guest intercity0wl

was brought up in mexborough we had a huge supporters club was based in the plant hotel , all the mex blades used to meet in the phone box down the road !!!!! trot on craphead

Was based at the sportsman before the plant and the pool room downstairs had a massive owl painted on one of the walls. used to be some great suporters club nights there.

Their was also a phone box outside this boozer too but the Blunts fan base in town was not big enough to require two meeting places. In Mexborough everbody seemed to be an Owl hence why there has never been a Piggy supporters club in town.

Edited by intercity0wl

Guest FatherTime

The true potential is seen on derby days when we max out, if we were playing big games(prem) week in week out we would attract capacity crowds, once the ground redevolopment is completed that would be 45000. We also have a sizeable base in th U.S believe it or not, where alot of people followed us originally because they liked the name!(yanks) also a decent following in Canada.