Just how big is the owls support base ?

Like many supporters,I now live many miles away from the land of my fathers,how I would love to be able to see more live games at Hillsbourgh.My love for the team has never dwindled over 55 years,the last 30 being in Devon.When I am driving away from games like Bristol,I see many owls going my way.

This makes me wonder just how big is our fan base and how could we measure it ? Any ideas ?

Like many supporters,I now live many miles away from the land of my fathers,how I would love to be able to see more live games at Hillsbourgh?.My love for the team has never dwindled over 55 years,the last 30 being in Devon.When I am driving away from games like Bristol,I see many owls going my way.

This makes me wonder just how big is our fan base and how could we measure it ? Any ideas ?

I was in Devon fo a break during the summer and I bumped into plenty of owls. There was a family of owls on the beach who spotted my tattoo and towel, so we had a good natter.

I also got stopped by some older fella in McDonalds during that break to show me his rotatin owl screensaver on his phone. I always bump into them when I'm out and about.

There's 3/4 in the sh1tty little town I'm living in now.

I saw loads of owls shirts in Florida when I was there as a kid.

Infact, the bloke who showed us around the flat we were looking at had an owls keyring on his car keys.

I don't know whether I just notice this because of my blue eyed blinkers or whether there's naturally just more of us than anyone else.

I think we have 10,000's of casual fans in South Yorkshire, people that say they support Wednesday.

These people will only turn up when there's success in the PL. Hence SWFC have a huge potential fanbase.

But regards "proper" fans that attend matches on a regular basis, the current fan base appears to be a hardcore 15 to 20,000 supporters.

Guest dportelli

I live in London and we have a little london owl get togethers.......reckon there are about 20 of us down here so add that as well

I was in Devon fo a break during the summer and I bumped into plenty of owls. There was a family of owls on the beach who spotted my tattoo and towel, so we had a good natter.

I also got stopped by some older fella in McDonalds during that break to show me his rotatin owl screensaver on his phone. I always bump into them when I'm out and about.

There's 3/4 in the sh1tty little town I'm living in now.

I saw loads of owls shirts in Florida when I was there as a kid.

Infact, the bloke who showed us around the flat we were looking at had an owls keyring on his car keys.

I don't know whether I just notice this because of my blue eyed blinkers or whether there's naturally just more of us than anyone else.

My best memory was a guy on the seawall in Paphos in Cyprus with a camel ride bussiness sporting the home shirt....bril.

I know this is dream land, but imagine how many people would line the streets and city centre if wednesday came home with the champions league cup, 70,000?, 90,000?, 150,000?, lots of these people would call themselves wedesday fans even though they dont go to hillsborough.

Our potential fan base is huge.

Like many supporters,I now live many miles away from the land of my fathers,how I would love to be able to see more live games at Hillsbourgh.My love for the team has never dwindled over 55 years,the last 30 being in Devon.When I am driving away from games like Bristol,I see many owls going my way.

The 40,000 or so that went to Cardiff for the play off final. If you were going to come out of the woodwork then that was the time to do it. I'd say that was a pretty good measure of our fanbase.

The 40,000 or so that went to Cardiff for the play off final. If you were going to come out of the woodwork then that was the time to do it. I'd say that was a pretty good measure of our fanbase.

I remember us getting 48/49,000 for home games in the 80's, didnt think much of it at the time, we were just good back then, oh happy days.. :blush:

I suppose it could depend on what you call a fanbase.

Do you class people that just don't ever go? People that just more favour Wednesday than intend on ever going? I didn't get to my first Wednesday game until I was 15 due to not having anyone to take me as a kid. However, I would always class myself as a massive Wenesday fan log before then.

I remember us getting 48/49,000 for home games in the 80's, didnt think much of it at the time, we were just good back then, oh happy days.. :blush:

I think there was one game against Liverpool and one against Man United where the crowd was nearly 50,000.

However let's not forget there will have been a good 15,000 away fans in them crowds.

I live in London and we have a little london owl get togethers.......reckon there are about 20 of us down here so add that as well

I'd hazard a quess that there's a few more the 20 of us down here. 4 got off at my obscure stop in Soth East London after the palace game.

I'd say anything between 15-20k attending in bad times and 30-45k if we managed to get back into the premier league.

Wednesday have got a massive fan base if you include all the people that say they are fans, but have never actually been to a match. If we were properly successful (i.e one of the top 4) we could probably get 50k crowds. We probably have the highest number of part time and lost fans in the championship and one of the highest in the country. Realistically if we were in the prem 35k would probably be our average. Just hope i see those days in my lifetime again.

My best memory was a guy on the seawall in Paphos in Cyprus with a camel ride bussiness sporting the home shirt....bril.

I went in to a Bookies in limmasol in 2008 Cyprus .you no the type of place were the music stops when you walk in :biggrin: , I wanted to put a bet on some Horse back home . but the guy behind the counter said very broken english but i got the message we dont show UK racing so i asked him for a football slip I filled out a few selections took it to the counter .And i just asked him who he supported and Iam not kiding here he turned the form over and pointed to the championship table and SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY !

Only thing i had on me was my screen saver on me phone and showed him .next min he was offering coffees cigs not the frosty reception when johnny foreigner (me) first walked in.

If iam in cyprus i pop in say hello

WERE ALL WEDNESDAY ARNT WE!