Regret

Guest Perrytheowl

Brian Laws was very unfortunate this season, I'm sure not many of us wanted him sacked pre-season.

Exactly! Finally a post that makes sense. He strengthed the squad in the summer with players that almost everyone on here was please with adn neither they or the ones we already had put in a shift.

Yes I know its down to the manager, but the players let Laws down. They were told to do a job and they didn't. Even irvine thinks there is talent here, just got to up the workrates and will!

No. I suspect he wanted to go as he had no more ideas left to change things round.

It's difficult to shop in the bargain basement but Jeffers Miller Purse and Buxton were really sub standard, and Hinds Potter and Varney are not far behind.

Mind you, with our budget it's all you are going to get and I wonder how the Board have allowed the need for investment to be dragged out so long ( mainly under previous chairmen). It's not all the fault of managers.

The fans have been paying to watch some very poor footballers and I fear that with the recession more people are beginning to lose their commitment.

I dont think Laws is as bad a manager as some people made out and it is strange to see him at Burnley as he has been part of the furniture for us (compared to most managers) and seemed to really care about the club.

But it was time for a change really, things went wrong for him from Preston onwards and he didnt know how to turn it around. He couldve done better with the resources he was given I am sure but it will be interesting to see what he can do should he get a little more to spend for Burnley either in the PL or the CCC.

No. I suspect he wanted to go as he had no more ideas left to change things round.

It's difficult to shop in the bargain basement but Jeffers Miller Purse and Buxton were really sub standard, and Hinds Potter and Varney are not far behind.

Mind you, with our budget it's all you are going to get and I wonder how the Board have allowed the need for investment to be dragged out so long ( mainly under previous chairmen). It's not all the fault of managers.

The fans have been paying to watch some very poor footballers and I fear that with the recession more people are beginning to lose their commitment.

I think Hinds has been a steady acquisition for the money we probably pay him, Potter is a classy player providing the team works hard around him and have confidence and I still think Varney's energy and pace has been valuable.

Im not feeling regret, more surprised to be honest.

Law's is one of the nice guys in football, so I am pleased for him...although, he isnt pro-active enough & he doesn't command respect.

You look at the manager's who make it to the premier league & they are outspoken, pro-active, & very eager for the challenge...look at Phil Brown, Mick McCarthy, Owen Coyle, Alex McGleish etc...these manager are a different bread to the managers that get a lucky ticket like Laws. I remember hearing an interview with Deon Burton talking about the differences between Laws and Sturrock...He said Sturrock got involved in training, and Laws likes to sit back and watch....lets face it, he's at Burnley, because someone at Burnley did him a massive favour.

shame he never had the funds to really buy some quality,

like billy davies has had at forest. 7m i believe.

can you name me 1 good signing brian laws has made in his 3 years at the club other than grant,and then he had to get 2 keepers in to find 1 good one

answer on a stamp please

Is it just me or is anyone now feeling regret that we sacked laws?

Regret isn't the word - because it wasn't our decision (as fan's) to make, although fan influence probably was a contributing factor.

However I still maintain that sacking Laws wasn't the answer.

The player's lack of effort got the team into this mess and it's up to them to get it out.

Irvine's appointment is probably as good as we were ever going to get and I wish him well with this bunch.

Is it just me or is anyone now feeling regret that we sacked laws?

no he had a few ideas and he had used them all more than once...be interesting if burnley get relegated with parachute payments laws will be able to spend big in the CCC...over the next few years we will be able to judge him in different finincial circumstances... Edited by dnhc