Unbelievable statement by Burnley

i think that what this goes to show is that our fortunes aren't together fully down to the manager, but are also about the ambition of the club with investment. Arguably we had / still have 2 out of the 3. We badly need the third to change our fortunes. With Lee at the helm and us wednesdayites pulling together we can make it happen.

Guest thetruthisoutthere

from the Burnley website direct.

A Deloitte report concluded Brian Laws achieved the best results in the Championship compared to budget in the period 2006 to 2009.

Don't care what any report says, he lost it as far as we are/were concerned

And most of his signings have at best....... been found to be "WANTING"

A Deloitte report concluded Brian Laws achieved the best results in the Championship compared to budget in the period 2006 to 2009.

And yet the masses forced him out.

When will we ever learn.

I'm not really surprised that Burnley went for Laws. To start with he was well-liked at Burnley when he was a player during the 80s. Burnley were on the decline around this time but Laws always gave 100%. Not a reason to sign him up as manager I know but last year Burnley got promoted to the Premier league and who was the manager of the club that tonked them 4-1 and 4-2.?

Burnley chairman Kilby obviously liked what he saw.

If you think back it was Plymouth's impressive win over us at Hillsborough that pushed Paul Sturrock into the club's radar.

Good luck to him, I hope he keeps Burnley up.

Why is that unbelievable? I can believe the stats would give that result.

As a statistical exercise it does however mean absolutely bugger all. Our prozone stats 'prove' we are playing better football apparently...

Obviously the statement is true. He was given a relegation budget every season he was here but not only avoided relegation in those 3 seasons but almost made the playoffs in his first and guided us to a more than respectable 12th place.

We are remembering Laws for his recent history with us which was absolutely dire and he had clearly completely lost the plot. I'm sure if we had kept him as manager he would have very quickly lost his stat as best achiever taking into account budget.

Who knows what he will do with a fresh start... I don't want to be too quick to start laughing at Burnley because right now it's Laws who is having the laugh...

Good luck to him, he's a nice bloke :ph34r:

Guest becauseofboxingday

Sounds impressive.......

But then hang on a minute, how many managers are there that he was actually competing with? i.e. how many clubs were in the Championship for all of the years between 2006 and 2009. Can't be bothered to look but lets say 12.

Then out of those 12, how many had the same manager between 2006 and 2009? Probably 1 or 2.

Therefore, he probably had a massive advantage over the other managers in that he was managing in the Championship for all of those years.

I can't believe that the study factored in lenght of service. Otherwise surely Owen Coyle and Alan Irvine would have easily been above Laws?

Why did we then sack the manager who outperformed all his peers in the league, and replace him with someone who comes below him in this list?

because it appears brian had pulled a rabbit out of a hat more than once...this year however due to either bad luck, bad signings, or both he wasn't doing the business...the truth is every manager we have will have the same problem at best...if you make mistakes in life they are easier to cover if you have money....if you have lots of money they are a lot easier to escape from....if you are on the breadline, then they are a struggle daily...pure econonomics...