Unbelievable statement by Burnley

It gets better read on....

Brian has shown great acumen with regard to player recruitment, having managed teams with nominal spending and wage budgets and establishing good working relationships with the very top clubs in English football.

Try telling us Buxton, Purse, Miller and Clarke were good signings.

They are good. That good that surely Laws will be re-signing them all for Burnley in the next week or so

:laugh:

TBF fan pressure was minimal....

the fact Laws went to the chairman, put his hands up and said I cant do anything else with these players is probably closer to the reason why we parted company.

That maybe so, I didn't know that had happened to be honest.

But you don't think that fans streaming out of the ground at half-time against West Brom or the fall in attendances in general had anything to do with it?

Seriousley, what does everyone have against Brian Laws? He kept us in the championship and made us a decent side fnishing 12th last season on a very poor budget.

But just because he had 1 bad half a season everyone seems to be out to slaughter him.

In my opinion he is a decent manager. Not a great manager but not a terrible manager by any stretch of the imagination.

At the end of the day, we just needed a fresh face in the dressing room with new ideas, because with a budget like ours i think you can only go so far in managment terms before you start going backwards again, and that happend to Mr Laws.

Good luck Brian, hope you keep the clarets up!

Guest Blue&WhiteBen

is the the pro zone equivalent for justifying managerial appointments now then?

have we not learnt that statistics do not tell the whole story yet

Seriousley, what does everyone have against Brian Laws? He kept us in the championship and made us a decent side fnishing 12th last season on a very poor budget.

But just because he had 1 bad half a season everyone seems to be out to slaughter him.

In my opinion he is a decent manager. Not a great manager but not a terrible manager by any stretch of the imagination.

At the end of the day, we just needed a fresh face in the dressing room with new ideas, because with a budget like ours i think you can only go so far in managment terms before you start going backwards again, and that happend to Mr Laws.

Good luck Brian, hope you keep the clarets up!

Mostly what SuperOwl said.

Yes, Laws did have a bad spell at the start of the previous season losing the first 6, but given the unrest around the club at that time, I don't think many managers would have done better.

Guest Leg-end

from the Burnley website direct.

A Deloitte report concluded Brian Laws achieved the best results in the Championship compared to budget in the period 2006 to 2009.

Sounds about right to me!

All the best Brian, it'll be a shock having more than 2p to spend, but you'll get used to it ;-)

It's definitely believeable. Any bargains that Turner, Sturrock or Laws signed on relatively low wages compared to their talent were either moved on before they signed a contract appropriate to their talent (Brunt, Bougherra, Whelan) or signed their first new deal only this summer (Grant, Tudgay, Beevers) during Laws' time as manager.

I think that might be attributable more to a change in Chairman than to a change in Manager, though.

Perhaps the statistic they should look at is the 50 wins in 150 games and us second bottom in the championship!

You know 50 wins in 150 matches is midtable, not relegation form right? Which is far and away better than the infastructure he was playing with.

i.e. 15 Wins + 15 Draws + 16 Losses = 46 games = 60pts.

Edited by Cpt_Hatstand

Guest boro owl

We had to get rid of Brian.

Crucial

We may have done it too late

Your all rumbleing mad if you think laws did well (under the sircumstances)

He made some terrible signings i,e purse jeffers who wer the highest earners at the club.

Both not worth a ham shank.

His tactics were shocking, dint have a clue how to change a game for the better.

His substitutions totally inafecctive, nearly costing us the game on numerous occasions.

Played some decent football in middle third of pitch but shocking at both ends WHERE IT MATTERS.

I personnelly glad to get shut off him, but it could be to late.

Irvine has a mountain to climb. Lets hope he can do it. GOOD LUCK you,ll need it with the poo poo that laws left behind

Some appalling research given that it wasn't even Sturrock who debuted Wood.

The article on Skysports says during his time here he gave 8 academy players their debuts in the first team, I've posted something in the academy section asking if it's right, cos I can only think of 3 (Beevers, Modest and Lekaj) making it to the first team under him.

To claim Spurr is bad enough, but Woody featured pretty regularly under Turner!

It seems quite simply to me. Laws did well putting together a half decent team on bugger all money, but in the last year he lost his way. The signings of Purse, Miller, Soares, Feeney, et al showed that his tenure had runs it's course. Poor results followed, and his failure to raise HIS players has cost him his job. I bet he's proper gutted now!