Barnsley, Peterborough, Scunthorpe, Plymouth.

Surely.

Surely , in the 4 games out of the next 5, we can do all of these? If not, most?

None of them are amazing, by any stretch. A derby (perfect game for a new manager with a fired up side), a side playing as crap as we have been, a side we absolutely wee'd all over, and another dodgy one. Come the end of Jan, we should be on the way.

An important month, but one I'm very positive about.

Guest tomowl85

i think that come end of jan we will know if we have a chance or if its ccl1 next year

god i hope we get out of this actually keeping me up at night now!

This month will make or break our season.

A good month and we could easily be flying at the dizzy heights of mid table safe and sound. A bad month and I don't believe it's all over by any stretch. We would need to re-assess things obviously but I wouldn't be giving up. I guess everyone's hoping that AI will be restoring some organisation to the team and some focus and some fight. That would be a positive start regardless of results as the performances of late have been anything but inspiring.

A good month and we could easily be flying at the dizzy heights of mid table safe and sound. A bad month and I don't believe it's all over by any stretch. We would need to re-assess things obviously but I wouldn't be giving up. I guess everyone's hoping that AI will be restoring some organisation to the team and some focus and some fight. That would be a positive start regardless of results as the performances of late have been anything but inspiring.

I agree but if we have another month like the last 2 then I don't think we can recover from it. The psychological blow will be massive and the points we would need to make up would be obscene. I'm positive this won't happen though. Like you say an improved month with improved performances is what we need. Hopefully picking up more points than we drop along the way.

Barnsley and Peterbrough have invested on the pitch, something like 3 loan players each, so they'll be very very tricky games!

I hate it when people compare us to Burnley & say look at Burnley, they went up last year, why cant we do it....the reason is because we didnt sign nearly 5m worth of players before the season started!

Burnley bought some really good young players that year like Chris Eagles, Martin Patterson & Andre Bikey.

You can not get promoted OR anywhere near top 10 with LOAN PLAYERS/UNWANTED CAST OFF'S from other premiership hopeful teams. You need MONEY and the right man spending it, to get young legs in.

Look at Richard Wood, good young player - fooked off....& what have we replaced him with? flip all. We should have only let a young talented player go, if we were to get a young talented player in return.

The value of the squad has diminished.

Just thinking about our chances of surviving this season wee wees me off.

Barnsley and Peterbrough have invested on the pitch, something like 3 loan players each, so they'll be very very tricky games!

I hate it when people compare us to Burnley & say look at Burnley, they went up last year, why cant we do it....the reason is because we didnt sign nearly 5m worth of players before the season started!

Burnley bought some really good young players that year like Chris Eagles, Martin Patterson & Andre Bikey.

You can not get promoted OR anywhere near top 10 with LOAN PLAYERS/UNWANTED CAST OFF'S from other premiership hopeful teams. You need MONEY and the right man spending it, to get young legs in.

Look at Richard Wood, good young player - fooked off....& what have we replaced him with? flip all. We should have only let a young talented player go, if we were to get a young talented player in return.

The value of the squad has diminished.

Just thinking about our chances of surviving this season wee wees me off.

Plenty of teams have got in the play offs with poo players and poor budgets... i'l have a look tommorow morning to prove my point because i'm knackered and goin to bed, but it's been done- maybe they haven't won the play offs, but as anyone will tell you, it's a complete lottery when you get to that stage of the season.

I disagree with your Richard Wood comments, he (or more likely his agent) forced our hand, and we had no option but to sell him. He would have been sold in the summer, and replaced accordingly if he hadn't have said to Laws and Strafford that he would be prepared to compromise at a later date. So the club did their very best to keep him, but were effectively sold out by the player... the money left over from his transfer (500k) won't buy us anything which will improve the team when you take into account signing on fees and agents fees etc etc. I disagree with the term 'good young player' as well tbh, he's about 25 iirc and if anything he has got worse since he broke into the side- he seems fairly comfortable but normally costs you a goal or two a game (as Coventry found out tonight for the winning goal.) which just isn't good enough.

I agree that Barnsley and P'Boro are going to be very tough games, and Barnsley is definitely the key one- win away from home against them, and the confidence will come flooding back for the game against P'Boro, and we can look forward. Lose against Barnsley and we're well and truly in the poo .

Guest bigblue

The worst thing for me is that if we don't win those 4 games I don't see where the necessary points total will come Tom given the fixtures we have remaining.

Even if we do, that only puts us on 31 pts at the end of Jan. Look at the likes of Scunny, Ipswich & Derby above us. If they accumulate points at the same rate that they have been so far, they'd be on 31-32 by the same point. We'd be out of the bottom 3 assuming the others also carry on as they have been (with Reading on 28) but only just - that's winning all 4!

So those 4 games aren't just important, they are absolutely MUST MUST win!!!!!

The worst thing for me is that if we don't win those 4 games I don't see where the necessary points total will come Tom given the fixtures we have remaining.

Even if we do, that only puts us on 31 pts at the end of Jan. Look at the likes of Scunny, Ipswich & Derby above us. If they accumulate points at the same rate that they have been so far, they'd be on 31-32 by the same point. We'd be out of the bottom 3 assuming the others also carry on as they have been (with Reading on 28) but only just - that's winning all 4!

So those 4 games aren't just important, they are absolutely MUST MUST win!!!!!

who's this Tom then? :ph34r: Edited by themaskedowl

Guest Ripley Owl

I would be happy with 10 points out of the next 5 games and remember we have still got to play Derby at home who are faltering badly at the moment !

I would be happy with 10 points out of the next 5 games and remember we have still got to play Derby at home who are faltering badly at the moment !

Derby ALWAYS flip us over, regardless of their form.

Surely.

Surely , in the 4 games out of the next 5, we can do all of these? If not, most?

None of them are amazing, by any stretch. A derby (perfect game for a new manager with a fired up side), a side playing as crap as we have been, a side we absolutely wee'd all over, and another dodgy one. Come the end of Jan, we should be on the way.

An important month, but one I'm very positive about.

You correctly identify these fixtures as the key to our season - the majority of managers good or poor (even Taffy Yorath) have a positive impact in the short term so lets hope Alan follows this trend.

My own view is we probably will get relegated but I truly hope we aren't