Sat 7/11/09 - Sunderland @ Home

Guest brighty

Would be glad to hear your thoughts on the game afterwords

Anyone watch U18s play Man utd on Wed pm at academy training ground. Understand Man u won 4-0 but result apparently didnt reflect performance Heard through Manu u contact some good performances from some of our players mentioned Cottingham and Eckhart were class and stood out. Anyone else see it

Guest john sheridan

Anyone watch U18s play Man utd on Wed pm at academy training ground. Understand Man u won 4-0 but result apparently didnt reflect performance Heard through Manu u contact some good performances from some of our players mentioned Cottingham and Eckhart were class and stood out. Anyone else see it

your man utd contact must have been watching a different game they did ok but did,nt stand out

Guest john sheridan

Why there is not a single word of it on Man Utd TV ? They showed Wolves goals, etc... but not one word about them beating us 4:0 :huh: ???And since when academy play their games on Wednesday ?

it was only a midweek friendly man utd still playing later in season by the way they did bring a very very strong side lad in midfield just got from lyon what a player you can see what all the fuss was all about

it was only a midweek friendly man utd still playing later in season by the way they did bring a very very strong side lad in midfield just got from lyon what a player you can see what all the fuss was all about

Oh, thanks for clearing that up.

1. Cuff - 52. Wragg - 53. Heywood - 64. Cottingham - 55. Wood - 46. Nyoni - 57. Barnett - 78. Harrison - 69. Hall - 510. Modest - 611. Palmer - 7Absolute horror show, outclassed by a far superior side. Jack Barnett played well throughout (played second half at centre back), Nick Wood was useless, ditto Wragg (who MacAuley labelled a joke), Nyoni, Cottingham (kept trying Hollywood balls to no avail) and Tom Hall.Oliver came on at half time and did alright. Harrison looked tired

Where is the problem in your opinion Kivo ?On paper it doesn't look as a bad squad.What is it with Barnett been playing at center-back lately ? His small stature, and slight built was marked as main reason why he might fail to make it in the game. Are we safe to say that he developed in that department ?With performances like this one it doesn't look good for likes of Wragg, Wood and Harrison. Wouldn't be too surprised to see that non of them were offered new deal at the end of the season.P.S. How do you mean that McAuley "labelled Wragg a joke" ?! Was he THAT poor ?

Everyone had high hopes for this group of players with half a dozen of them deemed good enough to have been involved with the first team squad already. OK results at this level do not have the same significance as at first team level but its difficult to see how there can have been too many quality individual performances given the thrashings dished out this season.

Where is the problem in your opinion Kivo ?

On paper it doesn't look as a bad squad.

What is it with Barnett been playing at center-back lately ? His small stature, and slight built was marked as main reason why he might fail to make it in the game. Are we safe to say that he developed in that department ? Seems so, haven't seen him before this season mind. Isn't tall but has a great leap on him and isn't afraid of anyone

With performances like this one it doesn't look good for likes of Wragg, Wood and Harrison. Wouldn't be too surprised to see that non of them were offered new deal at the end of the season.

P.S. How do you mean that McAuley "labelled Wragg a joke" ?! Was he THAT poor ?

Not sure it was MacAuley, definitely someone on the coaching staff. Wragg went in with a poor tackle, and the man shouted 'That's pathetic, don't take out your crap performance on someone else, you're a joke Wragg' Seemed harsh to come from a manager to a youth player tbh

I just hope the people who want to "chuck the kids into the first team cos they can't do any worse" will think on a bitBtw - bad form from whoever the coach was shouting things like "you're a joke" at a player in the earshot of onlookers

It was about helping their development, rather than helping first team affairs.Personally I would always have talented youngster or two on the bench...

I'm not talking about strategically putting kids on the bench - or in the team - i'm on about the muppets who talk about slinging a load of kids into the 1st team because they can't do any worse than the 1st team playersSome people ahve absolutely no clue of the vast chasm that exists between academy/reserve football - and 1st team levelAs for always putting kids on the bench i would only do it if i had room on the bench after covering all my other bases - and/or they were good enough to be there

I'm not talking about strategically putting kids on the bench - or in the team - i'm on about the muppets who talk about slinging a load of kids into the 1st team because they can't do any worse than the 1st team playersSome people ahve absolutely no clue of the vast chasm that exists between academy/reserve football - and 1st team levelAs for always putting kids on the bench i would only do it if i had room on the bench after covering all my other bases - and/or they were good enough to be there

I don't think that anyone thinks that way, at least not seriously...But still I can't say enough how much I think that Laws neglects our own young talent lately :sad:

I think Scram has a point, a lot of these players were given first team involvement pre season by Brian Laws. He has also had some of them training with the first team squad, this before many of them had even established themselves at reserve lecel. Modest for example was actually promoted to the first team without hardly scoring a goal for reserves or juniors. At most clubs a young striker would have had to have had a couple of prolific seasons before such a call up. Malek I'm all for including the younger players, that experience can stand them in good stead, but there has to be a balance. Players have to earn that right to a place in the first team squad, in the reserves even, or we run the risk of setting the bar too low.