My Overall Analysis/Opinion of Wednesday

Guest addz123

Aside from the second-half result against sheffield united - where we were no less than brilliant and deserved a draw - i'm started to get tired of watching wednesday play, and having to go to hillsborough to see them.We have exceptional talents in Grant, Tuday, Spurr and more or less Wood; but i'm starting to see the same trends becoming wednesday's downfall week in week out which always cost us points at home.Number one, we give possession away so needless and aimlessly. Our best strength when we play/force a high tempo game, with our team practically playing one-touch football and with pace setters like johnson on the wings it can sometimes pay off (e.g. opening second half against forest, and 2nd half against pigs).But this can only get you so far in the championship. Sometimes you have to be patient in midfield, use your head, create space and opportunities (all great prem players do this like gerrard, lampard etc) but we fall short in the championship in this department by a large mile. We never seem to show resilience or prowess in midfield, and most of the time the midfield is sh*tting themelves, just passing the ball quickly to the wings and messing around with it trying to create space for wingers like Johnson to run onto and cross the ball. It only works 30% of the time though, and that's our main problem - we rely far too much on below-par wingers to make crosses and chances. If Laws played a more narrow game, and got our players to create more space for each other and help out across midfield, tudgay for one would find much more space and better support and passes; rather than midfielders wacking the ball up the field waiting for tudgay to flick on to a partner/varner. Seriously, isn't anyone else getting sick of this one touch football upfront? Everytime tudgay gets the ball he tried to "flick it on" to another player, but it hardly ever works. Palbably when it's pulled off it looks brilliant, but how many goals have we actually scored like this? I know someones going to mentiona our fantastic goal-scorin record this season so far (3rd in the league i think?). But where are we in the league? Exactly. I don't really blame defense, Buxton is the weak link but he's not terrible, and we do have simek to come back. But it's the midfield quality that really worries me - that's where games are fought.Secondly, I really beleived Johnson should be released for free - without any doubt. Everyone who sees his best games talks about his 'direct attacking qualities' and most football commentators say he's the most 'direct attacking championship player'. SO WHAT THOUGH? He lacks any kind of vision or reading of the game, and is just there to run in straight lines down the wing and penetrate the defense. Obviously he's a winger and that's a winger's job - but he contributes nothing to keeping possession or helping midfield. He's also very lazy, and rarely wins the ball - and as my dad pointed out in the forest game which sums up what i'm saying; when he had the ball on the edge of the oppositions by-line, he was tackled and gave away a goal kick. A good football who knows the game would have instinctively jumped - so that the defender kicked it out for a corner, which would provide a great opportunity to score goals/shots on target. So overall, while this is just a giant and probably dull rant, i want to get it out there. We have great talents, but we're never going to utilise those talents properly unless we start playing football properly. Tudgay isn't a Drogba to boot the ball to, we need a strong tall forward to partner tudgay to do this. Johnson is too bad for a top half championship 1st team. And the midfield is non-existent. I like gray, he gives us some control on the ball, but every single time we have the ball in midfield it's just gray, and that's not right. So until this is sorted out, we're just going to be the same sheffield wednesday team that can play great high tempo football on occassions, but will rarely own/control a game properly in midfield. Well done to esajas agianst pigs btw, he was speechless and gave us something to be proud of. We scored 3 nice goals as well which is good to see.

Not sure you're watching same team as me. Today on numerous occasions we were extremely patient. Around me fans were screaming at them to get ball into box just before 3rd goal, i turned round and told em to shut up and stopped moaning, we maintained and recycled possesion and waited for a clearer opportunity for a few more seconds and scored an easy goal. Very impressed with potter, a midfielder who links and retains possesion.