the inter city owl the train

Guest eastbank

Guest eastbank

can anyone remember what year the owls ran this train for the very first time..travelled on it many times and it was great...

[quote name='eastbank' date='06 July 2009 - 10:43 AM' timestamp='1246902210' post='1963522']
can anyone remember what year the owls ran this train for the very first time..travelled on it many times and it was great...
[/quote]

Don't remember what year it started, but I was on it for the memorable trip to Portsmouth back in the 83/84 season. Journey down was uneventful, but it was blowing a hooley the length and breadth of the country that day. We were on the open end and got absolutely soaked. Gary Megson got the winner with a deflected shot about 20 minutes before the end so we were relatively happy.

After the final whistle the fun started. No trouble with the Pompey fans, but we were held back in the ground whilst the fans were cleared. Got back to the train to find the heating wasn't working and then we were shunted into a siding for about two hours because the train for the local fans had broken down some two miles up the line. After that it was delay after delay all the way home and we finally got into Sheffield Midland about half past three in the morning. Most of us were stripped to our underwear for the majority of the journey whilst our clothes dried out. We even got a refund from the club in recognition of our patience and the fact that in spite of everything BR got their train back in one piece!

Guest intercity0wl
[quote name='Utah Owl' date='16 August 2010 - 05:00 AM' timestamp='1281931244' post='2597444']
Don't remember what year it started, but I was on it for the memorable trip to Portsmouth back in the 83/84 season. Journey down was uneventful, but it was blowing a hooley the length and breadth of the country that day. We were on the open end and got absolutely soaked. Gary Megson got the winner with a deflected shot about 20 minutes before the end so we were relatively happy.

After the final whistle the fun started. No trouble with the Pompey fans, but we were held back in the ground whilst the fans were cleared. Got back to the train to find the heating wasn't working and then we were shunted into a siding for about two hours because the train for the local fans had broken down some two miles up the line. After that it was delay after delay all the way home and we finally got into Sheffield Midland about half past three in the morning. Most of us were stripped to our underwear for the majority of the journey whilst our clothes dried out. We even got a refund from the club in recognition of our patience and the fact that in spite of everything BR got their train back in one piece!
[/quote]
That was only one of the times it arrived back late, trips back from the smoke were often delayed as the capitals old bill tried to sheperd supporters from as many as 4 or five visiting northern teams onto there respective football specials while the home teams fans tried to say a personal good bye,
One weekend with us Newcastle and Leeds down there was always going to be a late night home even without the emergency cord being pulled. Can anybody remember one of the carriges on one clubs (Man U i think) footy special being turned into a disco complete with DJ Dancefloor the works, AH what memories

Best journey was when they Chartered the inter city 125's (first time for a football club). I think they had about 8 or 10 to Highbury for the semi final v Brighton in 1983 Edited by pahowl

My first recollection was the 1979/80 promotion season. If memory serves, I went to every away game that season bar Exeter, and I'm fairly sure the only other game that I didn't go via the ICO train was Blackburn, I can't remember why but we went to that game on the coach, and what a night it was, I've never seen so many coaches at an away game, it still ranks as my favourite non cup-tie away game, we Wednesdayites were awesome that night.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

[quote name='Utah Owl' date='16 August 2010 - 04:00 AM' timestamp='1281931244' post='2597444']

[/quote]
yes i remember it very well indeed as i was also on the very same train that day.also the locomotives that used to haul the ICO train on quite a few away trips came from Tinsley depot which also happened to be a SWFC stronghold as was Brinsworth as most of the maintenance staff came from there and i think one or two members of the staff helped to organise the special charter trains. . lol

[quote name='alfonso123' date='27 August 2010 - 08:35 PM' timestamp='1282937709' post='2615499']
Does anyone remember that British Transport Policeman with the enormous head, who was always on duty on the football specials?

He was a sound bloke, and always up for a bit of banter with the lads.
[/quote]

I do.

He used to stand near the "cage bit" where they sold warm pop and cheap crisps.

[quote name='sonofbert2' date='01 May 2011 - 03:36 PM' timestamp='1304264210' post='2996056']
I do.

He used to stand near the "cage bit" where they sold warm pop and cheap crisps.
[/quote]
and soggy ham and cucumber sandwiches.

[quote name='pahowl' date='20 August 2010 - 09:48 PM' timestamp='1282337335' post='2605193']
Best journey was when they Chartered the inter city 125's (first time for a football club). I think they had about 8 or 10 to Highbury for the semi final v Brighton in 1983
[/quote]
We've had some fantastic support over the years - but that day was phenomenal.

Owls flags draped over the bridges all over London. Seeing everyone come from the specials was a brilliant site.

I was 11 years old - cried my bloody eyes out on the North Bank at the end of the game (To55ers Foster and Robinson).

The ICO's were great though. I only went a few times as was quite young - but great times.

[quote name='Utah Owl' date='16 August 2010 - 05:00 AM' timestamp='1281931244' post='2597444']

[/quote]

I was on that train as well, in that week we had Brighton away on the Saturday, Darlington midweek in the league cup and the Portsmouth away the following Saturday,we won all three...great days.
UTO'S

[quote name='Woodseats Owl' date='03 May 2011 - 11:37 PM' timestamp='1304487467' post='2999030']
I was on that train as well, in that week we had Brighton away on the Saturday, Darlington midweek in the league cup and the Portsmouth away the following Saturday,we won all three...great days.
UTO'S
[/quote]

That's rightt, except the Pompey game came first and the Brighton game last. Went to all three! Went fully equipped to Brighton, spare clothing heavy rain gear the lot. Needn't have bothered it was about 65 degrees and bright sunshine all day!

Also that idiot Jimmy Melia had just been sacked by Brighton and he went on there kop that day which gave us some cause for amusement. Wasn't that also the game Lawrie Madden made his debut?[img]http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]

Same season inter city owl train started it was my first season of attending most away games.

A bloke called Steve Woodhead organised first trains before he went on to work for club.

I can remember a bloke who was one of stewards on train and everyone nicknamed him Cat Weasel.

Guest Briscoe Inferno
[quote name='Utah Owl' timestamp='1281931244' post='2597444']

[/quote]

We were marched to Fratton station then all the way back to the ground when they discovered the train had broken down - they made us wait under their kop roof before being marched back to Fratton onto the train this time with no heating.