NEW BOOK ABOUT SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

Guest alwayswithflair

are you serious?

I bought the book on saturday and have read 40 pages or so. I think its a great read and takes me back. Am looking forward to reading more.

Interested to know what the next book will be about :-)

Only downside is that the price is very steep.

Yes I'm serious but I'm not surprised you haven't noticed all the errors.

Also, I never said it was a bad book just that the editor has done a very poor job.

Guest alwayswithflair

I have to say that this book does have some very interesting sections in it and whilst some of it reads like the tantrum of a 5 year-old, other parts are astonishingly refreshing and thought-provoking. I find myself agreeing with a lot of what is said in the prose.

Sorry I didn't see this subject earlier. I have been dying to know what people that have read it think, as this matters more to me than anything. Thanks to everyone for taking time posting comments.Folger Thanks so much for your comments. I really appreciate it and reading your comments made it all worth whileAlways, Yep I agree with the editing. I am very precious about the book and was really disappointed with some of the errors. I am surprised you found it hard to read though, as I deliberately set out to make it 'very easily readable and unambiguous'. Thanks for your comments all the same..................and yes it is available in the shop, Waterstones, HMV, WHSmith, Amazon etcKeep your comments coming please, good or bad !

loved reading every page. Am trying to convince the missus to read it now. Loved the early 80's section as that was when i really got into football. Away trips to places like Cardiff are still etched in miy mind!!Looking forward to your next book :-)

Edited by owllincoln

Keep your comments coming please, good or bad !

Only about half way through but I did only get it yesterday and felt I should try to be a little bit sociable on Xmas Day. Couldn't put it down though. Living 200+ miles away I probably didn't get to half the games you did yet I seem to have been at most that feature in your book.

It brings back all the emotion and you realise that even if those dark days of the seventies return, they'll still be our club and trying to recreate an allegiance with any other club just to taste some glory would mean zilch. Even though you know there are thousands and thousands of us who feel the same way it's great to have those inner beliefs affirmed in print.

I too feel jealousy and despise the glory hunters but, you know, they don't have something that we have. Their scars aren't as deep and don't hurt as much and their joy is shallow and short lived. Your book, adding to the great work done for this club by LS has lifted by spirits. Just need some points now!

Top read. If you love Wednesday, read it.

Guest Aussie_Dave

leant the book to some mates who aren't into football over the holiday period, i think they get why i stay up til 4am for this club now

Yes I'm serious but I'm not surprised you haven't noticed all the errors.

Also, I never said it was a bad book just that the editor has done a very poor job.

I have to agree wholeheartedly on this. As a writer myself I am really astonished at the poor editing and general level of English. It's taking away from the enjoyment of the book for me, sadly. What were the publishers doing?

I bought it for my old man and he is actually reading it, which is a surprise.

So it must be quite good!

I haven't really asked him about it but he mentioned in passing the other day that it was a bit like reading a story of him growing up watching Wednesday. He's 60 this year and he remembers all the games etc in the book, I think it's a bit of a memory lane trip and that's what he likes about it.

I've been saving this book (Christman present) to read on holiday. I flew out the day after going to Reading - totally p*ssed off. But this book, and a fortnight away, helped restore my enthusism.

I started watching Wednesday around the same time and remember many of the matches; Burnley, new year's eve, fancy dress, Hitler having his obviously fake toy gun confiscated by an over zealous copper at the turnstiles. This book brought back many memories.

Yes there were many drafting errors. And the language was very simplistic; it reminded me of Mel Sterland's autobiography. But it was an enthralling read. I don't know if it would mean as much to non-football fans, or even fans of other teams, but to me it captured the spirit of the times, my times, and why it means so much to be a Wednesdayite and why, despite being introduced to Wednesday with a decade of utter rubbish (the 70s not the 00s), I will continue going until I'm physically unable.

Not really looking forward to volume 2 as it will have a lot to live up to.