NEW BOOK ABOUT SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

I just thought that I would let you know that I have been writing a book about Wednesday for the last two years and am delighted to say that it will be published very soon.

Neil has very kindly given me permission to post the details on here, so thought I would share it with you.

Basically it is a modern history of the club as witnessed through the eyes of us supporters.

It starts obviously when I first started to go and watch Wednesday in the 1970's and goes through all the emotions of watching our club from despair, frustration, anger to complete and utter joy.

It also recounts some of the bizarre things that have happened to us on our travels, which I am sure you will all have gone through and be able to associate with.

I know some of our older fans will love sharing the stories as it will bring back great memories and hopefully it will educate our younger ones a little further in understanding what being a Wednesdayite is all about.

It is called "I Hate Football" and is hoped to be launched to coincide with the start of the new season.

I have copied the synopsis below and if you are interested a link to the publishers webpage, where you can read the first couple of pages.

I will keep you updated on progress

Thanks !!

It is easy to support a succesful football team, but it takes guts, loyalty and a whole heap of stupidity to follow one of the also rans.

I Hate Football is the story of such a group of fans who are unfortunate enough to follow Sheffield Wednesday. It is a record of the fortunes of the club from 1970 through to 2009, as seen through the eyes of the fans. Fans that live and breath every kick of the ball. Fans that endure the roller coaster of emotions and the enormous high and lows (and more lows in the case of Sheffield Wednesday) all for the love of the club.

It recounts many scary, bizarre and incredibly funny incidents. Fear, ecstasy, despair, frustration, violence, hilarity, bizarre and complete and utter joy are all in abundance in a book that most football fans will totally understand and empathise with.

In a nutshell, this is the autobiography of almost every fan in the country

The book traces the way that the game has changed so dramatically over the years, giving a wonderfully nostalgic insight of how the game was, as well a scathing attack on todays over paid prima donnas and the greedy big four that now monopolise the game

http://www.countrybookshop.co.uk/peakpublish/

Been there before. I was the editor and publisher of Daniel Gordon's "A Quarter of Wednesday" back in 1995.

What a different attitude you'll find now to that which we faced back then. That was the David Richards era when no-one from the club deigned to speak to anyone on the supporters' side of the fence and any commercial initiative was ignored or worse still, crushed.

When we brought out the book they realised they had missed an opportunity, so along with their hired heavies from Irwin Mitchell they managed to think up an argument which ran because it had a blue cover we were passing it off as on official club product. I was summoned to Hillsborough by Messrs Culley and Richards and treated to much tut-tutting and murmurs that a few quid might, in a friendly sort of way, be due. Having extracted the information they needed, they asked me to go and give it a bit of thought.

I didn't have long.

By the time I got back to the office, a fax had arrived from their lawyers demanding money with menaces. If we didn't submit to their demands within 48 hours they would take out an injunction on us.

I wish now we'd have told them to see us in hell, but we eventually paid up a sizeable share of the profits from two years of hard work on a project they wanted nothing to do with in the first place.

Good luck to you. You'll find the club a different animal now. And you'll find backing from the likes of Neil who is always ready to do what he can for someone who shows some initiative.

(Word of warning; Don't always expect the same from the fans though. Look at the way some reacted to that new song recently - if you get some mindless slagging off, just shrug it off as it's probably from Blades fans sneaking on to our forums)

Been there before. I was the editor and publisher of Daniel Gordon's "A Quarter of Wednesday" back in 1995.

What a different attitude you'll find now to that which we faced back then. That was the David Richards era when no-one from the club deigned to speak to anyone on the supporters' side of the fence and any commercial initiative was ignored or worse still, crushed.

When we brought out the book they realised they had missed an opportunity, so along with their hired heavies from Irwin Mitchell they managed to think up an argument which ran because it had a blue cover we were passing it off as on official club product. I was summoned to Hillsborough by Messrs Culley and Richards and treated to much tut-tutting and murmurs that a few quid might, in a friendly sort of way, be due. Having extracted the information they needed, they asked me to go and give it a bit of thought.

I didn't have long.

By the time I got back to the office, a fax had arrived from their lawyers demanding money with menaces. If we didn't submit to their demands within 48 hours they would take out an injunction on us.

I wish now we'd have told them to see us in hell, but we eventually paid up a sizeable share of the profits from two years of hard work on a project they wanted nothing to do with in the first place.

Good luck to you. You'll find the club a different animal now. And you'll find backing from the likes of Neil who is always ready to do what he can for someone who shows some initiative.

(Word of warning; Don't always expect the same from the fans though. Look at the way some reacted to that new song recently - if you get some mindless slagging off, just shrug it off as it's probably from Blades fans sneaking on to our forums)

F*ck me. What charming 'men' we've had running the club in recent years.

Congratulations on that book by the way. The best Wednesday book I've ever read.

I didn't have long.

Bloody hell thats scary. I always thought that Richards was more honourable too.

To be honest it almost got published last year, but I held back as I wasn't happy with the negativity around Wedfnesday at the time. I didn't think the time was right. It sounds like they would have sued my arse off !!

Thanks for your comments

Guest jessicaowl

Well youd know all about knocking the arse out of thigs wouldnt you so called wakefield owl. My god I can still see the distress on that llamas face. Thankyou for my copy of your book though, I read it last night whilst tucked up in bed with Carlos, my siberian Yak. It really did make me laugh. Particularly that line at the end of chapter 6. "I dont know who was more suprised me, jessica, the antelope, or the vicar!!!"

Did you get all the things back that I sent OK?

Well youd know all about knocking the arse out of thigs wouldnt you so called wakefield owl. My god I can still see the distress on that llamas face. Thankyou for my copy of your book though, I read it last night whilst tucked up in bed with Carlos, my siberian Yak. It really did make me laugh. Particularly that line at the end of chapter 6. "I dont know who was more suprised me, jessica, the antelope, or the vicar!!!"

Did you get all the things back that I sent OK?

everything except the tub of catpiss. But then I knew you'd keep that, you vindictive cow

Guest jessicaowl

everything except the tub of catpiss. But then I knew you'd keep that, you vindictive cow

Please dont start being like that again John. this is what i dont get with you, one minute your telling me you love me, the next youre calling me a vindictive cow! Its all a very different story when youre wanting to perform acts of bottom love on me isnt it. Well if thats how its going to be you can have the entire urine collection back. Yes even my favourite alligator weeweee, and you know how much that means to me!

Please dont start being like that again John. this is what i dont get with you, one minute your telling me you love me, the next youre calling me a vindictive cow! Its all a very different story when youre wanting to perform acts of bottom love on me isnt it. Well if thats how its going to be you can have the entire urine collection back. Yes even my favourite alligator weeweee, and you know how much that means to me!

this conversation is so wrong but so funeeee :biggrin:

I didn't have long.

or maybe just music lovers...if folk like forza want to accuse me of being a closet blade cos i don't like what is after all a fvcin' twee embarrasing tootle..ask him why the initial thread on the song was closed..it was because no bugger had owt nice to say about it..I am extremely interested in reading your book...I doubt i'll have a criticism because i avidly read owt on Wednesday...luckily reading is different than listening...you can stop when you want.. without havin' to shove yer fingers in yer ears...

or maybe just music lovers...if folk like forza want to accuse me of being a closet blade cos i don't like what is after all a fvcin' twee embarrasing tootle..ask him why the initial thread on the song was closed..it was because no bugger had owt nice to say about it..I am extremely interested in reading your book...I doubt i'll have a criticism because i avidly read owt on Wednesday...luckily reading is different than listening...you can stop when you want.. without havin' to shove yer fingers in yer ears...

Yeah, reading is different Ass-teener. Demands an entirely separate skill. How's the special needs course coming on?

Point of order, Mr Asteener. The thread was actually closed by request, for other reasons. Just like to set the record straight.

I'm sure we all welcome Wakefield's effort and look forward to seeing the new book. If you need a hand on any of the post-publication stuff Wakey, I'd be happy to help.

Point of order, Mr Asteener. The thread was actually closed by request, for other reasons. Just like to set the record straight.

I'm sure we all welcome Wakefield's effort and look forward to seeing the new book. If you need a hand on any of the post-publication stuff Wakey, I'd be happy to help.

Excuse me Forza, did you not PM me to ask that this should be put to bed?

Guest Briscoe Inferno

Good wishes for the book signing Wakefield.....Great read for those who were able to 'enjoy' to 70's and those who missed out on the cushion era..Gangway J on the North was the place to be - me, me Dad and Grandad were sat in the row right behind the Boro fans that kicked off.You failed to mention tho' that me Grandad was holding one of them down by his neck whilst you boys 'persuaded' them to leave.I remember the large Boro fan waving the watch as they were being led down the gangway by the Police and one of you boys coming back later to look for the watch and being told they'd nicked it in the fracas :laugh:

Guest alwayswithflair

The book's editor is a muppet. In the first few pages alone there are numerours incorrect uses of the apostrophe and the syntax in some sentences is appalling. I don't blame the author as not everyone has the ability to write well-structured English prose, but the editor needs shooting. Several sentences don't even make sense. Very hard to read.