NEW BOOK ABOUT SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

I just thought that I would let you know that I have been writing a book about Wednesday for the last two years and am delighted to say that it will be published very soon.

Neil has very kindly given me permission to post the details on here, so thought I would share it with you.

Basically it is a modern history of the club as witnessed through the eyes of us supporters.

It starts obviously when I first started to go and watch Wednesday in the 1970's and goes through all the emotions of watching our club from despair, frustration, anger to complete and utter joy.

It also recounts some of the bizarre things that have happened to us on our travels, which I am sure you will all have gone through and be able to associate with.

I know some of our older fans will love sharing the stories as it will bring back great memories and hopefully it will educate our younger ones a little further in understanding what being a Wednesdayite is all about.

It is called "I Hate Football" and is hoped to be launched to coincide with the start of the new season.

I have copied the synopsis below and if you are interested a link to the publishers webpage, where you can read the first couple of pages.

I will keep you updated on progress

Thanks !!

It is easy to support a succesful football team, but it takes guts, loyalty and a whole heap of stupidity to follow one of the also rans.

I Hate Football is the story of such a group of fans who are unfortunate enough to follow Sheffield Wednesday. It is a record of the fortunes of the club from 1970 through to 2009, as seen through the eyes of the fans. Fans that live and breath every kick of the ball. Fans that endure the roller coaster of emotions and the enormous high and lows (and more lows in the case of Sheffield Wednesday) all for the love of the club.

It recounts many scary, bizarre and incredibly funny incidents. Fear, ecstasy, despair, frustration, violence, hilarity, bizarre and complete and utter joy are all in abundance in a book that most football fans will totally understand and empathise with.

In a nutshell, this is the autobiography of almost every fan in the country

The book traces the way that the game has changed so dramatically over the years, giving a wonderfully nostalgic insight of how the game was, as well a scathing attack on todays over paid prima donnas and the greedy big four that now monopolise the game

http://www.countrybookshop.co.uk/peakpublish/

It is easy to support a succesful football team, but it takes guts, loyalty and a whole heap of stupidity to follow one of the also rans.

Too true.

But yet the successfull teams dominate the media. Surely, there's interest in TV Football Magazine programmes for the non-prem, that fans would watch? After all the Chmpionship is the 4th most watched league in Europe!

i think ppl shud by "the wednesday boys" - can get it in the club shop... its an awesome book and tells you about every player since the war to play for us (until published date of course) and it says what they did after football. Really good book for any wednesday fan! =D

Should have called it "The flying pig"

lol

2 years to write...So if that the benchmark Grandads book should be out next year???

No pressure Grandad.

It will take Grandad a long time to colour his book in stop pressuring him :biggrin:

Guest oylandowl trustfull

Look forward to reading it, it's the from the same time I was taken to my 1st Wednesday matches.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Too true.

But yet the successfull teams dominate the media. Surely, there's interest in TV Football Magazine programmes for the non-prem, that fans would watch? After all the Chmpionship is the 4th most watched league in Europe!

I agree totally.

I get on my soapbox a lot in the book complaining about the big 4s domination, aided and abetted by the media.

Thanks for all your comments. I really appreciate it.

I will keep you updated

Guest gasman100

I just thought that I would let you know that I have been writing a book about Wednesday for the last two years and am delighted to say that it will be published very soon.

Neil has very kindly given me permission to post the details on here, so thought I would share it with you.

Basically it is a modern history of the club as witnessed through the eyes of us supporters.

It starts obviously when I first started to go and watch Wednesday in the 1970's and goes through all the emotions of watching our club from despair, frustration, anger to complete and utter joy.

It also recounts some of the bizarre things that have happened to us on our travels, which I am sure you will all have gone through and be able to associate with.

I know some of our older fans will love sharing the stories as it will bring back great memories and hopefully it will educate our younger ones a little further in understanding what being a Wednesdayite is all about.

It is called "I Hate Football" and is hoped to be launched to coincide with the start of the new season.

I have copied the synopsis below and if you are interested a link to the publishers webpage, where you can read the first couple of pages.

Thanks !!

I Hate Football is the story of such a group of fans who are unfortunate enough to follow Sheffield Wednesday. It is a record of the fortunes of the club from 1970 through to 2009, as seen through the eyes of the fans. Fans that live and breath every kick of the ball. Fans that endure the roller coaster of emotions and the enormous high and lows (and more lows in the case of Sheffield Wednesday) all for the love of the club.

It recounts many scary, bizarre and incredibly funny incidents. Fear, ecstasy, despair, frustration, violence, hilarity, bizarre and complete and utter joy are all in abundance in a book that most football fans will totally understand and empathise with.

The book traces the way that the game has changed so dramatically over the years, giving a wonderfully nostalgic insight of how the game was, as well a scathing attack on todays over paid prima donnas and the greedy big four that now monopolise the game

I'll be honest, i thought it was starting a bit slowly but then by the time I got to the end, the hairs were standing up on the back of my neck and not because I was there, which I wasn't, but because it gave me a little bit of that away day buzz, which is unique, you don't get that buzz anywhere else

I like it, I'm buying, I've asked the website to email me when it's published

Thanks !!

:ohmy: i didn't know it was you john!

I will most certainly buy one, but...

...your proof-reader is a b@stard.

Sounds excellent.

How difficult was it to get a publisher?

Has it gone to press? Would have been a nice touch to get a cult-figure to do a foreword.

Moz, spotted it and ammended thanks. It has now been proof read, this was the first cut. The first few pages are mostly setting out the background, so not most enthralling but its just to give you an idea

Arthur, Very hard to get it published and not yet printed (waiting for the ISBN No. to arrive) and yes working at a "celeb" foreword. Very excited at who is being proposed but can't yet say who !