Another idea - Wednesday branded food products

On another thread I was thinking about the increasing the revenue streams and what people like / would like to buy on a match day. One of the problems I can see is that if you increase sales of beer, pies etc within the ground it could have IMO a detrimental effect of the local businesses near the club. If you start taking trade away from local businesses, IMO it starts to go against the "community" aspect the club are trying to promote ie potential lost revenues / jobs. I've been trying to think about this and one of the ways I came up with to create a win-win situation would be for Sheffield Wednesday to work in partnerships with companies to develop their own branded beers, foods, pies etc. This way it doesn't matter where these products are sold, the club still earns revenue from it, so do the producers and the other local businesses as well.

You could develop a Sheffield Wednesday beer and sell it in the pubs, clubs, bars etc all round the city with it on draft, in cans/bottles with the club's logo and colours on it. You could also have some of the proceeds going to the childrens hospital as well. As long as it tasted good, I couldn't see a reason why fans wouldn't buy it especially if they know it's going to benefit the club and a good cause. Not only that, it would create revenue all year round and not just match days. Pies, sandwiches etc could have the clubs logo baked onto them. They could sell it a petrol stations, supermarkets as well. The added bonus as well would be increased brand awareness and an additional medium where you could advertise promotions. Theirs also the opportunity to put vouchers on these for discounts in the clubs or reductions towards match day tickets.

I don't know if the club do this at the moment, but may be it could be an avenue to explore?

With Jim Harrison involved at the club again the SWFC beer could easily be done..

Thanks Admin - great suggestion. As far as the pies, sandwiches go I'm sure their must be a local producer who could do some great stuff. You could bake the clubs logo or initials into the bread and for the pies add pastry stripes on top and/or a pastry owls logo that you could attach to the top with a little beaten egg. Would make that easy to mass produce as well. You could then get the fans involved in taste testing / samples with the fans choosen the best ones. A medium could also be set up where fans can suggest new products / flavours / style for things and if their's enough interest it's brought to market and thus really giving the fans what they want and will buy.

As for the community, you can also have healthy eating options to promote health and well being in the community which would look very positive for the club and attract people to come on board with the scheme.

As an addition thought maybe the club could opperate a "buy local policy" for products and ingredients so you would have the club, local charities and good causes and local businesses and people benefiting from it. I think it would be something that people could really identify with. Maybe have some "made in Yorkshire" or "100% Yorkshire" brand on it so that not only Wednesday fans but people futher afield can identify and associate themselves with the club.

Edited by ottawaowl

As an additional note, in terms of marketing I think it would be best to have it as generic as possible, linking it to the club in an inderect way. This would increase the sales potential and de-emphasise the football aspect to a certain extent that could stop other football club fans buying into it / generating revenue. No matter what the brand name was, it would still be money coming into the club and for the charity. If a big emphasis was then put on the charity aspect of it, that would also encourage more poeople to buy it and put to one side their footballing preferences.

In terms of a brand name I'd go for something like "B & W" which to owls fans would stand for Blue and White and therfore would personalise that for them but remain generic enough to appeal to a wider audience. By doing this at an early stage, instead of making it a purely "Sheffield Wednesday product" IMO it opens up more opportunites and would save on the costs of re-branding it later on as hopefully the concept takes off.

Edited by ottawaowl